Just finished Episode 1 and I like it so far.

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

Just finished Episode 1 and I like it so far.

#1 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Finally managed to get access to the series and have finished the first episode.

I have been a Magnum P.I. fan for more than 30 years now. I realize that Selleck and Hillerman will not return and so won't be the short shorts.
So, we won't get the old vibe - just get over and deal with it!
The Vietnam connection was mostly cut out here in german tv, so they are not oberly important imo.

My take about the first episode:
Love the Ferraris, the location shots on Hawaii (could have been more), love that we see Rick and TC back and Higgins of course.

Many over the top action scenes that haven't thrilled me and so far I am very disappointed about Higgins. she should hate him and not have a chrush on him.
I did not like Buck as well.

All in all, I am happy to receive some new episodes after almost 30 years of waiting.
A bad Magnum P.I. episode is better than none! And give me some Ferrri drives, images from Hawaii and some action and I am happy.

And the special relationship between Magnum and Higgins developed slowly over the year, in the first episodes on real MPI, Higgins was an unenjoyable sadist to be frank.

Anybody as happy as me to see Magnum back?

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: Just finished Episode 1 and I like it so far.

#2 Post by 308GUY »

Bondtoys.de wrote: Anybody as happy as me to see Magnum back?
Back......yes....in this iteration....not so much.. :lol:

But I'm with you regarding the "A bad Magnum P.I. episode is better than none!"

For maybe different reasons....but the general sentiment is close to the same.

The cars...the scenery....the hype....mostly for me, it's the fact this "reboot" in my humble opinion should, rekindle interest in the original and garner some new fans for it, from the exact generation that the "new" MPI is targeted toward. Never get tired of seeing the Oahu scenery, but I wish they would follow Bellisario's lead as far as using as many "out of the city" settings as possible, at least it seems to me that's what was done in the original. Anyway, that's a subject that could take pages to explore...so won't go there, here. :magnum:

Glad you are able to get hooked up finally, must have been an anxious wait! But most here would say, you didn't and haven't missed anything worthwhile, but as always, that's a matter of opinion. :D

I guess it's akin to the addage: "A bad day at the beach is better than a good day at work.."? Unless maybe your work is AT the beach!LOL :lol:

Would love to hear more of your impressions as you get further into the "new" series....it's been picked up for at least a second season you know.... :shock:

Maybe they should have just left it alone rather than release what has been not even a good shadow of the original...but I still like the cars.....although I also still prefer the 308 to the 488! :lol: And Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV to Thomas Magnum V! (or should that be IV 1/2? :) ) (and yes, I do understand JH is supposed to be the same as TS....but couldn't resist the "poke"!)

:magnum: :higgins: :luther: :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Amian
Admiral

#3 Post by Amian »

Glad you enjoyed the episode. The over the top action doesn't really improve, but there is plenty of time devoted to cars and scenery.

You probably won't find too many enthusiasts of the reboot on this forum. The people who have bothered to post on it at all range from offended and angry at the audacity of doing a reboot at all to getting in a few snarky jokes about Jay Hernandez's height.

I'm a huge fan of the original series (obviously, or I wouldn't be here), but I've also been watching the reboot from the 1st episode. For me and everyone else who's watched the original, the reboot will always be inferior. I think it's safe to say that, but maybe someone disagrees. Anyway, I can accept the reboot for what it is and enjoy having something new in the Magnumverse. It certainly doesn't mess with my enjoyment of the original, and as has been said by others, it may bring renewed attention to the series we all love.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Laohu »

I think the show is getting better as it goes . I like that they are bring up things that happened in previous episodes . I have seen shows struggle in the first season only to find its voice in the second season. My opion is they are not far from being a good show . Need to tone down the big gun play scenes and spend a little more time on the scripts .
Afte all some Magnum is better then no Magnum .

Amian
Admiral

#5 Post by Amian »

Laohu wrote:I think the show is getting better as it goes . I like that they are bring up things that happened in previous episodes . I have seen shows struggle in the first season only to find its voice in the second season. My opion is they are not far from being a good show . Need to tone down the big gun play scenes and spend a little more time on the scripts .
Afte all some Magnum is better then no Magnum .
I think this is a sensible take. I'd be happy if it found a groove that shows character development and fewer mass shootouts.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Amian wrote:Glad you enjoyed the episode. The over the top action doesn't really improve, but there is plenty of time devoted to cars and scenery.

You probably won't find too many enthusiasts of the reboot on this forum. The people who have bothered to post on it at all range from offended and angry at the audacity of doing a reboot at all to getting in a few snarky jokes about Jay Hernandez's height.
Thanks, and that's my point.

We won't get back Selleck and Hillerman and we won't get back the 80s vibe without computers and smartphones.
I mean, what do some people expect?
Having a modern interpretation of Sherlock Holmes where people are still riding their horses for the sake of just keeping the original mood?

I have finished episode 4 now.
I appreciate Higgin's matured interpretation in regards to Magnum and her hair seems having improved since the pilot.
I also appreciate more or less the absence of over-the-top stunts and the storyline of episode 3 was Magnum-worthy imo.
Luther Gillis though is not enjoyable at all.

While I enjoy Higgins, I think that Hernandez is a bad cast. Everybody says that he's too short, but he's also too young imo (particularly if you compare him to Rick) and his acting is not really great. Would have enjoyed another actor - but hell, it is what it is.

All in all, I am glad that CBS initiated the reboot and I hope that the series will continue.
We will never get more "old" episodes, so it's time to get over it and just enjoy what we have. I see a lot of respect for the old series in the reboot.
Last edited by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) on Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KingKC »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
Amian wrote:Glad you enjoyed the episode. The over the top action doesn't really improve, but there is plenty of time devoted to cars and scenery.

Thanks, and that's my point.

We won't get back Selleck and Hillerman and we won't get back the 80s vibe without computers and smartphones.
I mean, what do some people expect?
Having a modern interpretation of Sherlock Holmes where people are still riding their horses for the sake of just keeping the original mood?

I have finished episode now.
I appreciate Higgin's matured interpretation in regards to Magnum and her hair seems having improved since the pilot.
I also appreciate more or less the absence of over-the-top stunts and the storyline of episode 3 was Magnum-worthy imo.
Luther Gillis though is not enjoyable at all.

While I enjoy Higgins, I think that Hernandez is a bad cast. Everybody says that he's too short, but he's also too young imo (particularly if you compare him to Rick) and his acting is not really great. Would have enjoyed another actor - but hell, it is what it is.

All in all, I am glad that CBS initiated the reboot and I hope that the series will continue.
We will never get more "old" episodes, so it's time to get over it and just enjoy what we have. I see a lot of respect for the old series in the reboot.
I keep thinking about the car commercial that says: "This isn't your father's Oldsmobile."

Amian
Admiral

#8 Post by Amian »

Bondtoys.de wrote:We won't get back Selleck and Hillerman and we won't get back the 80s vibe without computers and smartphones. I mean, what do some people expect? Having a modern interpretation of Sherlock Holmes where people are still riding their horses for the sake of just keeping the original mood?

I have finished episode now. I appreciate Higgin's matured interpretation in regards to Magnum and her hair seems having improved since the pilot. I also appreciate more or less the absence of over-the-top stunts and the storyline of episode 3 was Magnum-worthy imo. Luther Gillis though is not enjoyable at all.

The interesting thing about Hernandez's age is that he's older than Tom Selleck was when he took on the role. Magnum is supposed to have a young, or immature, side to him, and Selleck did a great job of balancing the childish and mature parts of his character. Hernandez feels a bit one-note so far.

I appreciate your optimistic outlook!

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Thank you!

Just 1 question to all critics:
How high are the chances that we will get anything better MPI than what is currently running on CBS?

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#10 Post by marlboro »

Just because I love pork, it doesn't mean I'm gonna eat chitlins just because they're as close as I can get to country ham.

jeffran
Captain

#11 Post by jeffran »

Bondtoys.de wrote:Thank you!

How high are the chances that we will get anything better MPI than what is currently running on CBS?
This question is baffling to me.

Are you suggesting that critics modulate their opinion based upon the likelihood that they may not get something "better MPI" in the future?

Or, am I misinterpreting your question?

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

marlboro wrote:Just because I love pork, it doesn't mean I'm gonna eat chitlins just because they're as close as I can get to country ham.
Your ham comparison is a bit flawed, because

- the existing ham is 35 years old, or at least tastes the same since 35 years
- is not available anymore new.

I'd prefer to compare it with a holiday destination:
You've been there every year for 35 years, you have kindly overlooked the aging, the creaks and stains and love the old pillowcases and fabrics on the sofa that are not modern anymore.

Now the hotel upgraded the entire building with a new one, new furniture, new fabrics, new colours, but the destination is still the same.
You still love watching the old pictures from the old days and indulge in the memories and time.

So instead of abandoning the new resort entirely (It's still at the same place) because it's totally not the same anymore but the name (highly exaggerated because many elements are still there!) and stick to the old paper pics, why don't you visit the new resort with an open mind and enjoy what is still left from the old days around it?
Last edited by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) on Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

jeffran wrote:
Bondtoys.de wrote:Thank you!

This question is baffling to me.

Are you suggesting that critics modulate their opinion based upon the likelihood that they may not get something "better MPI" in the future?

Or, am I misinterpreting your question?

Let me try to make it clearer:

The chances that - after a 30 year break from the first run - we will get another Magnum PI series in our lifetime after this one - are slim.
So, even if CBS MPI is only 25/45/55/70% of the 80s Magnum Pi, it's still better than nothing because we won't get another and more faithful rerun in the next 30 years and after.

Time to move on, enjoy the old episodes and the new ones with an open mind.
I prefer 100% enjoyment from old Magnum PI plus 10% from New Magnum PI = 110% but totally accept, if you are happy with 100% and ignore the new series.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Laohu »

I look at it kind of like movies I really enjoyed the first one .when the sequel comes out I look forward to it knowing it will not be as good but can still enjoy it . The new actors taking on these roles have there work cut out for them. I can’t really think of a actor I would have picked to play Magnum and a Tom Selleck want to be would have been worse then going in a “ little “ different direction. That they went with .
Either way I hope to enjoy it for many years and hope the rest of you will find something in the show to enjoy as well .

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#15 Post by marlboro »

I just don't get the "it's better than nothing" argument. If you like it, that's fine, but I don't know why someone would watch a bad show because it has superficial similarities to one that they like.