Season 1 Episode 15: Day the Past Came Back (1.15)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
8%
8.5 (Very Good)
33%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
8%
7.5 (Decent)
No votes
7.0 (Average at Best)
8%
6.5 (Not So Good)
No votes
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
8%
5.0 (Just Awful)
17%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
17%

Total votes: 12

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 1 Episode 15: Day the Past Came Back (1.15)

#1 Post by KENJI »

This episode comes out on Feb. 18..

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 15: Day the Past Came Back (1.15)

#2 Post by KENJI »

Episode storyline......... After Magnum is kidnapped, he discovers that Hannah, Magnum's ex who landed him and his friends in the POW camp, is on the island and planning to steal a fortune in gold.

It will be interesting to see how Higgins reacts to Hannah.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by T.Q. »

Tuned in tonight for a change.

It’s now 9:41 and I’m watching a Last Man Standing rerun. :shock:

I’ve narrowed it down to basically being Jay Hernandez.

Still think he’s just an awful actor (so wooden) and was a terrible choice for “Magnum”.

Otherwise, “Higgins”, “T.C.” and “Rick” are okay. Show may have had some appeal to me.

P.S. Mac... lmao
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KENJI »

Mac is back yet again, but he is a she this time around! :roll:

Had to laugh when there was a shoot out in the tunnel and there were no other cars behind them......there is always loads of traffic in those tunnels!
They should've had a bunch of filler cars coming up on the action to make it a bit more believable.
Magnum pulling the huge guy out the truck with one arm while being on the roof was a joke especially with the gash he suffered on the boat earlier on. It got worse when he was fighting Hannah inside the vehicle....just terrible. Of course Hannah disappears into thin air after rolling the truck....Lenkov will keep her storyline going at least into next season if not longer.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by KingKC »

Did anyone else think 'Shades of Indiana Jones' in Raiders of the Lost Ark with Magnum on the roof of the military style truck and hanging by a seat belt? In any event it was all just too unrealistic to me. I wonder if the show will have a few more local private investigations that don't involve some action packed shoot out and Magnum actually acts as a private investigator. Maybe a lighthearted one. Hope beyond hope??

Amian
Admiral

#6 Post by Amian »

KENJI wrote:Mac is back yet again, but he is a she this time around! :roll:

Had to laugh when there was a shoot out in the tunnel and there were no other cars behind them......there is always loads of traffic in those tunnels!
They should've had a bunch of filler cars coming up on the action to make it a bit more believable.
Magnum pulling the huge guy out the truck with one arm while being on the roof was a joke especially with the gash he suffered on the boat earlier on. It got worse when he was fighting Hannah inside the vehicle....just terrible. Of course Hannah disappears into thin air after rolling the truck....Lenkov will keep her storyline going at least into next season if not longer.
The filler cars would have helped, but the whole set piece was not based on anything realistic. Still have to roll my eyes at the action... way too much. If anything, I wish they would have shown more of the underwater scenes and less of the tunnel stuff.

That said, the acting was pretty good in this one, and the storyline was interesting. Hannah seems like a real baddie, but I have a feeling something will come up to make things more ambiguous than they seem. Still, once you've tried to shoot and stab your former fiance, there's no going back. Is there?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KENJI »

KingKC wrote:Did anyone else think 'Shades of Indiana Jones' in Raiders of the Lost Ark with Magnum on the roof of the military style truck and hanging by a seat belt? In any event it was all just too unrealistic to me. I wonder if the show will have a few more local private investigations that don't involve some action packed shoot out and Magnum actually acts as a private investigator. Maybe a lighthearted one. Hope beyond hope??
Hi KingKC,

Never thought of the Indy angle, but it fits! I agree, the whole scene was unrealistic and terrible in my books...tame it down Lenkov. :roll:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by KENJI »

Amian wrote:
KENJI wrote:Mac is back yet again, but he is a she this time around! :roll:

The filler cars would have helped, but the whole set piece was not based on anything realistic. Still have to roll my eyes at the action... way too much. If anything, I wish they would have shown more of the underwater scenes and less of the tunnel stuff.

That said, the acting was pretty good in this one, and the storyline was interesting. Hannah seems like a real baddie, but I have a feeling something will come up to make things more ambiguous than they seem. Still, once you've tried to shoot and stab your former fiance, there's no going back. Is there?
Hi Amian,

I agree the whole piece was not based on anything realistic.....WAY over the top AGAIN! I still think the small details matter, but obviously Lenkov likes to cut corners. Also I agree the underwater scene was skimmed over and could've had more air time. I would like to see Higgins and Hannah go at it next season.

Another thing I noticed was at the beginning of the show when they were about to host a veterans event at the estate and the gang (H, T, R, K) were going on about Magnum being late and how important this event was etc., etc. and as soon Rick gets the call about the Ferrari turning up without Magnum, they all bail on the event....... Kumu could've at least stayed.....Higgins is the estate's major domo and should've really stayed too. I get why Higgins left, but I don't get why Kumu left.....more lazy writing.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Steve »

I agree with most of everything that has been said, the automatic weapons shootouts are getting on my nerves but overall I liked the episode. All I could think of when "Mac" turns up as a female was some of our purists having another reason to hate the reboot, but she was fine. I do think they needed to have Buck Greene in the episode yelling at Magnum to stay out of it adding to the mystery of what the the real story of why Hannah turned............

karolis
Admiral

#10 Post by karolis »

MacReynolds:

Doubles:

karolis
Admiral

#11 Post by karolis »

I hate how they make new character with original show's character's attributes and then brings the character from the original without his attributes...
Kumu is like Higgins from the original than Perdita Weeks is.
Dr. Noelani Cunha is like Mac from the original (bribes with food). And now they have Mac character...

Or they bring the character from the original and removes him and adds his attributes to the new one character...
Tanaka > Katsumoto

Only Luther H. Gillis is the character with the original's attributes (except that he's Korean now).

I'm sure i missed some examples, but it's enough.

Amian
Admiral

#12 Post by Amian »

karolis wrote:I hate how they make new character with original show's character's attributes and then brings the character from the original without his attributes...
This is part of the balancing act the reboot is trying to maintain... hardcore fans get upset when it's different, but we also complain when the reboot tries to remain faithful (and it doesn't live up to expectations). We're probably best off taking stuff like Coops bottles and the appearance of a Mac character as Easter eggs. As time passes, the reboot will stand more and more on its own two feet.

All that said, I am curious to see if the new Mac becomes a recurring character! She was a little stiff in this one, I thought.

Amian
Admiral

#13 Post by Amian »

Steve wrote:I do think they needed to have Buck Greene in the episode yelling at Magnum to stay out of it adding to the mystery of what the the real story of why Hannah turned............
Ha, or at least slamming a "Classified" folder on the desk and letting Magnum pick it up and see some damning photos.

Amian
Admiral

#14 Post by Amian »

KENJI wrote:
Amian wrote:The filler cars would have helped, but the whole set piece was not based on anything realistic. Still have to roll my eyes at the action... way too much. If anything, I wish they would have shown more of the underwater scenes and less of the tunnel stuff.

Hi Amian,

I agree the whole piece was not based on anything realistic.....WAY over the top AGAIN! I still think the small details matter, but obviously Lenkov likes to cut corners. Also I agree the underwater scene was skimmed over and could've had more air time. I would like to see Higgins and Hannah go at it next season.

Another thing I noticed was at the beginning of the show when they were about to host a veterans event at the estate and the gang (H, T, R, K) were going on about Magnum being late and how important this event was etc., etc. and as soon Rick gets the call about the Ferrari turning up without Magnum, they all bail on the event....... Kumu could've at least stayed.....Higgins is the estate's major domo and should've really stayed too. I get why Higgins left, but I don't get why Kumu left.....more lazy writing.
Higgins vs. Hannah = sign me up! They already exchanged a few threatening glances.

(Quick aside: I'm glad that Higgins and Magnum are not going for the romantic angle so far. Could change, I know. Maybe like Moonlighting with Bruce and Cybil?)

Bailing on the event bugged me, too. One of the nice touches in the original was Higgins's commitment to the estate. Even when Lily showed up in Honolulu, Higgins stayed put at the estate to work on the art stagings with Agatha and the rest. It really helped make Robin's Nest a refuge and a nice contrast to Magnum's running around. I don't get a sense of separate spaces on the reboot. Everyone is doing everything at the same time, or at least sometimes it feels that way.

Speaking of spaces, I'd like to see new Magnum's guest house more... he needs a lived-in bachelor pad.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by perfectlykevin »

Amian wrote:
karolis wrote:I hate how they make new character with original show's character's attributes and then brings the character from the original without his attributes...
This is part of the balancing act the reboot is trying to maintain... hardcore fans get upset when it's different, but we also complain when the reboot tries to remain faithful (and it doesn't live up to expectations). We're probably best off taking stuff like Coops bottles and the appearance of a Mac character as Easter eggs. As time passes, the reboot will stand more and more on its own two feet.

All that said, I am curious to see if the new Mac becomes a recurring character! She was a little stiff in this one, I thought.
I haven't seen the episode yet but am eager to. If they really want to give us an Eater Egg they should let the new Mac appear as on-base Ensign Ski ;)