They renewed it

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Rands
Rear Admiral

Re: They renewed it

#16 Post by Rands »

Having read the posts, I must ask this simple question: Is the state of network programming so bad, that the current television line up is made to look good? I heard put another way: Is this the best worst option that we have?

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#17 Post by marlboro »

Rands wrote:Having read the posts, I must ask this simple question: Is the state of network programming so bad, that the current television line up is made to look good? I heard put another way: Is this the best worst option that we have?

Thanks to the internet there are enough books, movies, old tv shows, and older radio shows out there that there is zero excuse to watch network tv. Network tv is garbage. It has been garbage, with a few exceptions, since it was created.

Instead of "hate watching" a crappy rehash of Magnum or some mindless sitcom, why not try to find A) something new and original or B) watch a classic show that you haven't watched in years?

There are tons of interesting old shows available on dvd and illegal pirate trackers. There are countless free books legally available via Project Guttenberg. Free music on Youtube. Free radio shows on the Internet Archive.

Too many options to worry about watching Mini-Mag, reality tv, or a Tim Allen sitcom.

Amian
Admiral

#18 Post by Amian »

marlboro wrote:Instead of "hate watching" a crappy rehash of Magnum or some mindless sitcom, why not try to find A) something new and original or B) watch a classic show that you haven't watched in years? ...
Too many options to worry about watching Mini-Mag, reality tv, or a Tim Allen sitcom.
Agree with this. It's an embarrassment of riches for people looking for stories in all kinds of media. Life's too short for hate watching, or even dislike watching.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by ENSHealy »

Amian wrote:Life's too short for hate watching, or even dislike watching.
It's winter. The hate keeps me warm at night.

https://twitter.com/EricRoethe/status/1 ... 0687148032
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

sandbiscuits
Captain

#20 Post by sandbiscuits »

ENSHealy wrote:
Amian wrote:Life's too short for hate watching, or even dislike watching.
It's winter. The hate keeps me warm at night.

https://twitter.com/EricRoethe/status/1 ... 0687148032
Well, it is cold lately. Go on, then.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by No need to know! »

Not surprised at all. They need a show in Hawaii, and 5-0 can´t stay on forever.
Onion´s extra?

MikeS
Admiral

#22 Post by MikeS »

I hate everything about miniMagnum, it's wooden, uninteresting, horribly acted... PC, a perfect show in 21st Century Scumerica.

When miniMagnum got started and there were a few episodes to mull over I was curious what the critics were saying, true-to-form, an author of one opinion piece concluded the show is pretty bad and an opportunity was missed by not spending more time on miniMagnum's Hispanic heritage. I kinda like the sound of George Lopez, P.I.. Yeah, we don't spend enough time on the tone of one's skin already. I can't remember the last time one's level of melanin has been primary in our public discourse.

I don't know anything obout miniMagnum... after reading his Twitter feed he seems like a DDIIKK. He'll likely have a long and lustrous career in WhollyWeird.
MikeS

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by T.Q. »

It's wooden, uninteresting, horribly acted...

Agreed. 8)

Yeah, we don't spend enough time on the tone of one's skin already. I can't remember the last time one's level of melanin has been primary in our public discourse.

Yes, this bugs me. WAY off topic but wife was watching Grammys last night. I kept hearing it's time to "break down the barriers" in music. Umm, when I was a kid MJ, Lionel Richie, Prince, Whitney Houston won ALL the Grammys. I just don't get it I guess. :roll:

I don't know anything obout miniMagnum... after reading his Twitter feed he seems like a DDIIKK. He'll likely have a long and lustrous career in WhollyWeird.

He is a real peach. :shock:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Chris109 »

MikeS wrote: I kinda like the sound of George Lopez, P.I.. Yeah, we don't spend enough time on the tone of one's skin already.
If it was Good 'Ol George, all of the 'bad guys' would be white, and he would keep a tally at the end of the show of how many he killed.

From T.Q.:
Yes, this bugs me. WAY off topic but wife was watching Grammys last night. I kept hearing it's time to "break down the barriers" in music. Umm, when I was a kid MJ, Lionel Richie, Prince, Whitney Houston won ALL the Grammys. I just don't get it I guess.

Still trying to understand why Ariana Grande complains about being objectified.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Laohu »

Do a YouTube search for Ariana Grande and Bill Clinton .

sandbiscuits
Captain

#26 Post by sandbiscuits »

MikeS wrote:I hate everything about miniMagnum, it's wooden, uninteresting, horribly acted... PC, a perfect show in 21st Century Scumerica.

When miniMagnum got started and there were a few episodes to mull over I was curious what the critics were saying, true-to-form, an author of one opinion piece concluded the show is pretty bad and an opportunity was missed by not spending more time on miniMagnum's Hispanic heritage. I kinda like the sound of George Lopez, P.I.. Yeah, we don't spend enough time on the tone of one's skin already. I can't remember the last time one's level of melanin has been primary in our public discourse.

Hmm, I guess you won't be watching next week?

I think you are conflating the show with the actor a bit. I have yet to see Jay Hernandez's Twitter feed, but I doubt that's related to whether or not the show is "wooden, uninteresting, horribly acted." Unless, that is, he's taking an active role behind the scenes or in the writing room. You may be right about his having a long career in showbiz, though.

Also, presenting someone with Hispanic heritage doesn't equal making melanin the primary aspect. There are lots of people who are both Hispanic and white. Skin colour could be part of a storyline if necessary, but my guess is that it would be more interesting to focus on cultural elements.

These reboot forum pages are remarkable for the strong feelings they are provoking. It's rare to go to see a fan site for a show and see 9/10 comments ripping on it. Obviously this site wasn't meant for the reboot, but it shares the name (minus a comma), so there are bound to be some folks who show up here after watching the reboot. They may be in for a surprise.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#27 Post by ConchRepublican »

MikeS wrote:I hate everything about miniMagnum, it's wooden, uninteresting, horribly acted... PC, a perfect show in 21st Century Scumerica.

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04