Season 1 Episode 14: I, The Deceased (1.14)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
No votes
8.0 (Pretty Good)
33%
7.5 (Decent)
8%
7.0 (Average at Best)
8%
6.5 (Not So Good)
No votes
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
8%
5.0 (Just Awful)
8%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
33%

Total votes: 12

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 1 Episode 14: I, The Deceased (1.14)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Just a title at this point.

DavidGideon
Ensign

Re: Season 1 Episode 14: I, The Deceased (1.14)

#2 Post by DavidGideon »

Tonite why was Higgins tagging along thru the whole investigation? When they talked to the sister they kept looking at each other with knowing glances at something that was said. Reminded me of Friday and Gannon on Dragnet. Plus Magnum called himself a private detective again. All that plus the continual music in every scene nonstop gets on my nerves. Sometimes less is more. Despite all that it wasn’t the worst episode ever because I like Perdita.;)

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Chris109 »

DavidGideon wrote: All that plus the continual music in every scene nonstop gets on my nerves.
Reminds me of Star Trek The Neutered Generation. Non stop music and a forever crisis.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KingKC »

Another in the series of predictable episodes. Magnum and Higgins team up to investigate. Rick and TC are standing by for immediate assistance (and I mean within a nanosecond). Higgins gets to tackle someone. Katsumoto threatens Magnum. Kumu's role is very questionable. And they all get together at the end for a beer. [YAWN] I had been wondering about the guest house. It sure doesn't look much like a bachelor's pad (Heavy Sigh for the good ol' days] and a termite infestation doesn't help its image.

sandbiscuits
Captain

#5 Post by sandbiscuits »

KingKC wrote:Another in the series of predictable episodes. Magnum and Higgins team up to investigate. Rick and TC are standing by for immediate assistance (and I mean within a nanosecond). Higgins gets to tackle someone. Katsumoto threatens Magnum. Kumu's role is very questionable. And they all get together at the end for a beer. [YAWN] I had been wondering about the guest house. It sure doesn't look much like a bachelor's pad (Heavy Sigh for the good ol' days] and a termite infestation doesn't help its image.
I agree about the look of the guest house. It's too resort-like and clean. It doesn't look lived in.

Overall I thought the episode was pretty good, and the pacing was better than in some earlier episodes, but I had to roll my eyes at the conclusion in the old mill. Of course there is a gun battle. And Rick shows up with a military-grade weapon? Okay.

I think Kumu is the caretaker of the estate, so that's her role. It's not really that questionable, is it? She may start to get more plotlines that involve her, but mostly she's just another regular cast member like Rick and TC.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by KENJI »

It drives me crazy when Magnum can send an SOS out to TC via his phone and he is there with Rick in record time (or as KingKC stated a NANOSECOND, so true). It keeps happening over and over and it's wearing thin. I doubt these two just sit in the chopper twiddling their thumbs waiting for Magnum to call for help (it sure looks that way though). Lets factor in they both have jobs and getting away from them would take time, not to mention traffic is terrible on the island so getting to the helicopter would also take time, then flying out to Magnum's location......more time. In the real world Magnum and Higgins are dead by then, but in the land of Lenkov they live another day. :wink: I'm sure we will see more of these scenes down the road. :roll:

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Laohu »

It is just lazy writing . They think all of the cast has to be there for the over the top fight scene. I am hoping that they will settle in and figure out less is more but this seems like the formula for all the producer shows . I still think it’s better than MacGyver

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by KingKC »

sandbiscuits wrote:
KingKC wrote:Another in the series of predictable episodes. Magnum and Higgins team up to investigate. Rick and TC are standing by for immediate assistance (and I mean within a nanosecond). Higgins gets to tackle someone. Katsumoto threatens Magnum. Kumu's role is very questionable. And they all get together at the end for a beer. [YAWN] I had been wondering about the guest house. It sure doesn't look much like a bachelor's pad (Heavy Sigh for the good ol' days] and a termite infestation doesn't help its image.
I agree about the look of the guest house. It's too resort-like and clean. It doesn't look lived in.

Overall I thought the episode was pretty good, and the pacing was better than in some earlier episodes, but I had to roll my eyes at the conclusion in the old mill. Of course there is a gun battle. And Rick shows up with a military-grade weapon? Okay.

I think Kumu is the caretaker of the estate, so that's her role. It's not really that questionable, is it? She may start to get more plotlines that involve her, but mostly she's just another regular cast member like Rick and TC.
I guess the show needs a caretaker since Higgins is more TM's sidekick than the Major Domo of the estate...either that or she has promoted herself and too good to actually do any work.

Amian
Admiral

#9 Post by Amian »

sandbiscuits wrote:
KingKC wrote: I think Kumu is the caretaker of the estate, so that's her role. It's not really that questionable, is it? She may start to get more plotlines that involve her, but mostly she's just another regular cast member like Rick and TC.
I guess the show needs a caretaker since Higgins is more TM's sidekick than the Major Domo of the estate...either that or she has promoted herself and too good to actually do any work.
Yes, now that Juliette Higgins is basically a partner with Magnum, Kumu is presumably doing the stuff that Jonathan Higgins used to do around the estate.

I know the show is trying to build Juliette's backstory in MI6, but I'd like to see more of her personality on the estate developed. What does she do for most of the day? What societies does she belong to? What interests does she have? As an actress, I think Weeks can handle a more nuanced and developed role.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Steve »

Did anyone catch Elissa Dulce Hoopai as the wife of the owner of the exterminating company. Still has the gorgeous eyes but perhaps just a tad too much surgery. I like they brought back the homeless and injured veteran that Rick and TC helped out in an earlier episode. I am still awaiting a story on the mysterious woman in Magnum's past that must have been involved in the boys capture and escape in their tour. I am thinking they are awaiting sweeps week whenever that is and will have a two part, darker episode. I am also betting that someday this season or next the H-50 and Magnum universe will crossover.............

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

DavidGideon wrote:Tonite why was Higgins tagging along thru the whole investigation? When they talked to the sister they kept looking at each other with knowing glances at something that was said. Reminded me of Friday and Gannon on Dragnet. Plus Magnum called himself a private detective again. All that plus the continual music in every scene nonstop gets on my nerves. Sometimes less is more. Despite all that it wasn’t the worst episode ever because I like Perdita.;)
DavidGideon,
I thought of Dragnet as well when they glanced at each other! I shall pat myself on the back as some weeks back I predicted somewhere on these New Magnum boards
that Juliette would wind up Magnum's partner. Every scene she is in she dominates, and her purposely ever tighter pants don't hurt either.
Partnering her with Little Jay partially masks his many faults.
By the way, whoever is the stunt director, PU! He is a one trick pony as they say in the music biz. Every week we get a chase down a narrow area in a
straight line that resembles nothing so much as running a obstacle course, Perdita and Jay especially like hurtling over short walls. I guess it's easier to film that way and requires no thought.
The great Robert Culp constantly raided the classic action serials of his youth(like Raiders of the Lost Ark did) for ideas for chase scenes on I SPY. Why not steal from the best
instead of putting up such lackluster efforts?
And these weekly mass shootouts, is this Hawaii or the Afghan? The series doesn't treat lethal violence remotely seriously, it's like in a Warner Brothers cartoon when the
Road Runner drops a safe(Acme of course) on Wile E. Coyote and in the next scene Wile merely sports a Acme bandage around his head.
And if the violence is on a cartoon level, the audience never feels the heroes are in danger and the scene deflates. If they are going to have firefights then hire at
least ONE actual veteran as a adviser instead of some 22 year old film school grad whose resume consists of playing computer war games since he was 8 and whose
nipples get hard every time they make a big boom boom on the set.
I have repeatedly cited Lee Marvin on these boards, who insisted on the violence onscreen being brutal which offended many little old ladies with blue hair who wrote the studios to complain about him: "It is what it is. Anything less is farce."
The actors playing the Hawaiian police lieutenant, TC and Rick are not only not getting better, if anything their acting is worse, their emotions run the whole
gamut from A to B. Just awful!
Go check out Tanaka in the original Magnum, he was a little nebbish but he stole every scene he was in with Selleck(kudos again to Selleck for letting others shine).
Calling Dr. Freud: the scene where Juliette is slurping beer from a long necker bottle, please! an aristocrat and product of boarding schools like Higgins would never drink
like that, it's "just not on".

The Fugitive - "Man can't live without hope. It's like watching TV with the sound off."

karolis
Admiral

#12 Post by karolis »

Steve wrote:Did anyone catch Elissa Dulce Hoopai as the wife of the owner of the exterminating company. Still has the gorgeous eyes but perhaps just a tad too much surgery. I like they brought back the homeless and injured veteran that Rick and TC helped out in an earlier episode. I am still awaiting a story on the mysterious woman in Magnum's past that must have been involved in the boys capture and escape in their tour. I am thinking they are awaiting sweeps week whenever that is and will have a two part, darker episode. I am also betting that someday this season or next the H-50 and Magnum universe will crossover.............
I didn't catch it. Here's the photo of her.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#13 Post by marlboro »

Chris109 wrote:
DavidGideon wrote: All that plus the continual music in every scene nonstop gets on my nerves.
Reminds me of Star Trek The Neutered Generation. Non stop music and a forever crisis.

This is crazy talk. TNG was an awesome show.

Bat22
Lieutenant Commander

#14 Post by Bat22 »

marlboro wrote:
Chris109 wrote:

This is crazy talk. TNG was an awesome show.
Hear, hear.

Growing up watching the A-Team, I have a real aversion to CGI shootouts. The one at the factory looked like they were playing laser tag. And I can just picture Tom Magnum telling Jay Magnum how easy he's got it to have a majordomo making life a tease for him; plus TC, TC's chopper, Rick, Wheeler, and Katsumoto ready to operate for him at a moment's notice.