Season 1 Episode 13: Day of the Viper (1.13)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
20%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
10%
7.5 (Decent)
No votes
7.0 (Average at Best)
20%
6.5 (Not So Good)
10%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
No votes
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
40%

Total votes: 10

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 1 Episode 13: Day of the Viper (1.13)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Nothing to report, just a title at this point.
Last edited by KENJI on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 13: Day of the Viper (1.13)

#2 Post by KENJI »

There might be a mix up on when this episode is coming out.......one site says it will the 13th episode and another states it' will be the 11th.
I'll change it closer to the date if needed.

I'm thinking it is the 11 episode based on these spoilers being released where the other episodes have nothing.......

SPOILERS :!:

Today, CBS confirmed that the reboot will be returning to the air with new episodes when you get around to Monday, January 14. What we’re going to be getting here is a story entitled “Day of the Viper” that is very much when it comes to establishing the Higgins character. We’re going to get a sense in this episode as to precisely what happened in her past, especially when it comes to someone responsible for killing the most important person in her past. We know Higgins to be a tough, formidable person, and what we like about this story in theory is that it’s a chance to see her dive into something a little more raw and vulnerable. It’s going to be painful and, because of that, we’re fairly intrigued to see where things are going to go.

Day of the Viper” – Magnum and Higgins are shocked when one of her former MI6 teammates shows up with a fresh gunshot wound and news that “the Viper,” the assassin who killed Higgins’ true love, has surfaced on Oahu. Also, while Magnum’s busy helping Higgins track down the Viper, he asks Rick to take over a case, a task that Rick relishes until it goes sideways,

This episode does obviously have a good bit of comedy in it courtesy of the story of Rick, mostly because this is going to test precisely how much he actually knows about Magnum as a person. We feel like this is going to be a really unique story that allows us to actually explore further some of these dynamics, but of course it probably will have some sweet, earnest moments at the same time.

While Magnum PI does remain a show that is, in so many ways, about the cases, we cannot forget in the process that the writers really are intent on putting the characters and their stories front and center. That is incredibly smart, mostly because these are some of the people who we are going to be seeing and watching for many years moving into the future provided the show gets that season 2 renewal or more. (At the moment, we remain at least cautiously optimistic about what’s coming around the bend.)

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#3 Post by marlboro »

Good work keeping the episode list updated. :magnum:

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

DAY OF THE VIPER??? :roll:

Maybe it's just me but that seems more fitting for an episode of THE WILD WILD WEST. Just sayin'

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#5 Post by marlboro »

If it was a Wild Wild West episode it would be called "The Night of the Day of the Viper."

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Chris109 »

Is it the Dodge Viper it might be referring to?

Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Chris109 wrote:Is it the Dodge Viper it might be referring to?

How I love that car!! Best car from the 90s!! I watched the VIPER tv-show just because of that car. Seriously gives TM's Ferrari 308 a run for its money! Basically the Viper was to the 90s what the 308 was to the 80s.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by KENJI »

Probably one of the better episodes, but that's not saying much! :wink:
We find out the necklace with R on it, isn't from Robin, but from her true love Richard, who was killed by the Viper.
Higgins continues to show a bad ass side, even riding a motorcycle.
Kamekona from HFO makes a quick appearance in this episode.

Bloopers........TC crashes into a police car that has Magnum and Higgins in it, he then proceeds to steal it with the two of them still in the back. :roll:
The car is hit hard during the initial impact, but when they are driving down the road you see NO damage to either side of the car!! :roll: :roll:
Another blooper had the sun setting over Diamond Head in the wrong direction.

I found it funny that Higgins had to jump on the motorcycle and fly down the road a fair distance to catch up to Magnum and the Viper! The Viper could barely move at all with that messed up leg.....it should've been the Viper hopping on that bike or no bike at all......there is no way the Viper got that far down the road!

I also felt Magnum should've pulled his gun as soon as he got out of the Ferrari and maybe jogged or ran up to the front door of the estate when an intruder (Viper) was detected breaking in. He came across as too nonchalant for the situation especially when you factor in how fast he arrived in the Ferrari.
Last edited by KENJI on Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

karolis
Admiral

#9 Post by karolis »

And we got this shot:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Steve »

karolis wrote:And we got this shot:

I was trying to see if the house was still standing in that shot, it looked to me like it was as I think I can see a chimney.....
I like the episode, kind of a "Way of the Stalking Horse" feel to it, and almost a "Did You See the Sunrise" ending but that would have been too dark for Juliette. Looks like they used the same Villa that was used in "Italian Ice" for the party scenes and I thought the Rick as Magnum or "Tommy" was funny but they should have put him in one of the Jungle Bird shirts. I do think that Perdita was struggling with her "american" accent but perhaps that was just me......
Last edited by Steve on Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by KingKC »

Not a bad episode at all. Higgins (Perdita) sure does clean up good. Rick might actually have a little depth to his personality. And TC looked like Jehthro Bodine in some shots with the chauffeur's suit. The goof with the police car not being damaged when it sped away after the wreck was glaring. When Higgins began to lower the gun pointed at the Viper, I was expecting him to make a break for it. I do hope the show has some more local investigations without any military connection or international influence. It's needs a local lighthearted episode but I am not sure Hernandez can pull it off. The show does seem to be settling in with its own style.

Macho Taco
Lieutenant

#12 Post by Macho Taco »

The worst episode to date...and that’s really saying something! The Rick side-story was dreadful at best. The writers even screwed up the inclusion of Stalag 17 as it had zero purpose except to say “Hey, the real Magnum (Selleck) ‘enjoyed’ this film so let’s throw it into an episode.”

Amian
Admiral

#13 Post by Amian »

One of the stronger episodes, flubs and all. Enjoyed Rick as a PI, he brought some goofy charm to the role. Also liked getting a little back story with Juliette (and the guy who played the Viper did a good job).

Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Did anyone notice that Shiggins' fiance who was killed by the Viper was named Richard Denning? That was the name of the actor who played the Governor on the original Hawaii Five-O!!!! The only other actor, outside of Jack Lord, who was with the show for all 12 seasons!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Steve »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Did anyone notice that Shiggins' fiance who was killed by the Viper was named Richard Denning? That was the name of the actor who played the Governor on the original Hawaii Five-O!!!! The only other actor, outside of Jack Lord, who was with the show for all 12 seasons!
Wow, good catch Ivan! Lenkov said he was going to throw in easter eggs, I wonder if they will have a first season DVD with all of them shown.....