Season 1 Episode 12: Winner Takes All (1.12)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
No votes
8.0 (Pretty Good)
9%
7.5 (Decent)
36%
7.0 (Average at Best)
No votes
6.5 (Not So Good)
18%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
9%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
27%

Total votes: 11

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 1 Episode 12: Winner Takes All (1.12)

#1 Post by KENJI »

No info on this one yet.
Last edited by KENJI on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karolis
Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 12: Winner Takes All (1.12)

#2 Post by karolis »

Ken Jeong returns as Luther H. Gillis: https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/12/magnu ... s-all.html

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

karolis wrote:Ken Jeong returns as Luther H. Gillis: https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/12/magnu ... s-all.html
Oh noooooo!!! Please don't!!! It's like Adam Sandler playing 007. Who casts this show??? Blind monkeys??

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KENJI »

Interesting to see they are doing back to back episodes with 12 on Sunday and 13 on Monday.
It looks as though they are hoping (more like praying) to pick up some viewers from the Sunday AFC championship game which is just before the reboot. I can't believe they are doing another episode with Luther in it! The first one was just terrible, maybe he will have a non-speaking role this time around...:wink: :lol: .....doubt it, but one can hope. I wonder if Dog the Bounty Hunter will be in this episode. Dog has been on the HFO reboot a few times so I could see Lenkov giving him a part in this episode, but I'm not seeing him being mentioned as a guest star. I would rather see Dog than Ken Jeong!!!! Also wondering if all these private investigators and bounty hunters will be at a convention like we saw in the original series....hope not.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by T.Q. »

My cable box info reads:

“Magnum and many others track a man accused of murder”

“Episode: Winner Takes All. Magnum has an emotional connection to a case when he is tasked to find a man accused of murder”.

1. What the heck is “and many others”. Kinda strange. :?

2. Is there an episode where an “emotional connection” is not completely forced? :P

Still just find it all so strange.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by T.Q. »

T.Q. wrote:My cable box info reads:

“Magnum and many others track a man accused of murder”

“Episode: Winner Takes All. Magnum has an emotional connection to a case when he is tasked to find a man accused of murder”.

1. What the heck is “and many others”. Kinda strange. :?

2. Is there an episode where an “emotional connection” is not completely forced? :P

Still just find it all so strange.
Understand the ‘and others’ now.

Wifey watched a bit of pilot and said again tonight “I still don’t get why it’s like they don’t have real sounding conversations? It’s like no feeling. Like they’re just reading lines.”

Yep.

This the first episode I’ve seen since episode 5 or 6.

It seems to be getting worse actually.

The endless robotic voiceovers and music are terrible.

JMHO
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Wifey watched a bit of pilot and said again tonight “I still don’t get why it’s like they don’t have real sounding conversations? It’s like no feeling. Like they’re just reading lines.”
YES!! I still haven't seen any of fake Magnum, but this is a problem with almost every current TV drama, the dialogue is so clunky and forced. Even the shows I sorta like and watch are like that. It may have something to do with only having about 40 minutes of actual show, they have to tell us everything at top speed instead of just letting things happen and we figure it out on our own. Or can nobody write nuance and subtlety anymore?

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by KingKC »

Well...just finished watching another episode of Magnum and Associates. The duplicate shirts worn by Magnum and Luther Gillis was a little silly for me. I also marveled (more like rolling my eyes) at how Magnum and Higgins can have such a casual conversation explaining the plot while in a high speed chase. The ending with Magnum's narration about friends and family was a little sappy for my tastes. I think it is time to accept the new Magnum for what it is. The common plot where Higgins is used for the electronic angle and Rick and TC participate in the final "catch" with a dash of Katsumoto for flavoring seems to be the norm for this one.

Macho Taco
Lieutenant

#9 Post by Macho Taco »

Does anyone actually have a job to get to on this show? Rick, TC, and Higgins seem to have nothing better to do (even during the day) than gleefully assist on another case. The KKC and Island Hoppers are bankrupt by episode 11!! And what of Higgins' philanthropic pursuits on behalf of Robin Masters? Apparently she sits around all day waiting for the phone to ring; either from mini-mag or from the Ferrari repair shop. Perhaps I missed it, but can someone tell me what Kumu's role is on the estate? I have halfheartedly watched the episodes; too bad that same approach went into conceiving and writing the shows.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by KENJI »

I thought that Beth Chapman was in the bail bonds office scene, but it turns out it's her daughter Cecily.....also Dakota Chapman (grandson) was in that scene as well.....no idea what he looks like, nor do I really care. :wink: I'm surprised Dog didn't make an appearance like he does on HFO.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by T.Q. »

Macho Taco wrote:Does anyone actually have a job to get to on this show? Rick, TC, and Higgins seem to have nothing better to do (even during the day) than gleefully assist on another case. The KKC and Island Hoppers are bankrupt by episode 11!! And what of Higgins' philanthropic pursuits on behalf of Robin Masters? Apparently she sits around all day waiting for the phone to ring; either from mini-mag or from the Ferrari repair shop. Perhaps I missed it, but can someone tell me what Kumu's role is on the estate? I have halfheartedly watched the episodes; too bad that same approach went into conceiving and writing the shows.
I've seen less than half the episode so I'm curious...

Have they ever shown FakeRick at his club? Or FakeT.C. take out customers on his chopper? Like the real Rick and T.C.?

It is weird (the episodes I've seen) that FakeHiggins just sits around waiting to do favours for MiniMag. They were determined from the beginning to make it the "Magnum/Higgins P.I.s" show but does seem ridiculous.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by KingKC »

T.Q. wrote:
Macho Taco wrote:Does anyone actually have a job to get to on this show? Rick, TC, and Higgins seem to have nothing better to do (even during the day) than gleefully assist on another case. The KKC and Island Hoppers are bankrupt by episode 11!! And what of Higgins' philanthropic pursuits on behalf of Robin Masters? Apparently she sits around all day waiting for the phone to ring; either from mini-mag or from the Ferrari repair shop. Perhaps I missed it, but can someone tell me what Kumu's role is on the estate? I have halfheartedly watched the episodes; too bad that same approach went into conceiving and writing the shows.
I've seen less than half the episode so I'm curious...

Have they ever shown FakeRick at his club? Or FakeT.C. take out customers on his chopper? Like the real Rick and T.C.?

It is weird (the episodes I've seen) that FakeHiggins just sits around waiting to do favours for MiniMag. They were determined from the beginning to make it the "Magnum/Higgins P.I.s" show but does seem ridiculous.
I do know that in one episode Magnum called TC for help when he was giving a ride to some young guys and they got excited to help Magnum chase some guy down the street. I think he was chasing the Soviet scientist in a very recent episode . I only vaguely remember Rick being in the club and only once but I cannot remember the episode or the scene.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Chris109 »

Seeing that I haven't watched one bit of this show,
is new Higgins part of any Anglo-Hawaiian blah, blah organizations?

And are any shots from a stationary camera? Or are they all the constantly moving camera shots like what is prevalent in today's tv world as if you're involved in the scene?

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by perfectlykevin »

So Magnum has no father AND no mother in this version??? Gods, I hope one of his parents don't come back as a super-secret-double-agent-007-super-spy or some crap.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Chris109 »

T.Q. wrote:
Rick and TC were real?