Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Reboot suggestion...stop explaining everything

#16 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:
Chris109 wrote:
jeffran wrote:
I take it as evidence of how dumb they believe their audience to be. Of course, they're wrong, but hey they gotta fill up the 42 minutes with something, amiright?
42 minutes? Is that how long 1 hour shows nowadays? I don't do prime time so I am out of the loop.
marlboro wrote:I think the shorter running times hurt a lot of shows. You have time to do some nice character moments as well as a complete story with 50 minutes.

Of course, shows havent been that length in decades.
I remember when a large pizza was actually a LARGE and not a medium and a bag of chips had more chips than air in it.....everything has just shrunk in size over the years including the lead actors, :wink: yet they sell it as a large pizza/1 hour show etc.. I've found a few times watching this show that they take their time setting things up and then all of a sudden press fast forward and rush the ending to get the episode under the required time. I guess they would rather add a few commercials to the show to help with the bottom line while risking the loss of more viewers with a bad ending. Without the viewers they have nothing, so they may want to rethink things a bit more. Hmmm......with the terrible writing we are witnessing, maybe shorter is better!!! :lol:

Totally random, I know, but... I have a friend who used to worked for Frito Lay in Torrance CA not far from my home hear in Long Beach. Years ago, like maybe the late 90's I remember him telling me that the air space in the bags of chips was to provide a cushion for transportation so you didn't end up with potato crumbs rather than potato chips It's also not just air, but nitrogen, they put into the bags to keep them fresh from staleness caused by oxygen exposure. That was a newer development they had begun using recently. He joked that everyone complained that the bags were only half full, but it was for a better product. Besides, the label clearly says the weight of the product inside the package, if you want to compare them. Products sold by weight, as opposed to volume, do not include the package weight.

I have no comment on pizza size! :D

giant_albatross
Lieutenant Commander

#17 Post by giant_albatross »

Pahonu wrote:... He joked that everyone complained that the bags were only half full, but it was for a better product...
Only half full is still better than half empty.

Bat22
Lieutenant Commander

#18 Post by Bat22 »

"People ask me all the time, 'What's with the ring?' The Cross of Lorraine was the symbol of the French Resistance, but to us, it represented our friendship, and the pact that we made back in the POW camp to always be there for one another."

I was so pumped about the explanation. :roll:

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#19 Post by marlboro »

Pahonu's friend is right. I've never worked in a potato chip factory, but I have run lines for similarly packaged foods. Not only is the air necessary to protect the product during shipping and stocking, it is also essential when sealing the bags. When a bag is filled by the machine, it will be very full, since the product has had zero time to settle. You would never be able to run them through a sealer cleanly without all that extra space. So, as has already been said - compare weights and don't worry about the packaging.

I also think pizza prices are much more reasonable than they used to be. No proof. I spent my life in crummy factories and not in delivering pies.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by KingKC »

Unless my memory is failing (which it could very well be) I thought pizzas from most of the chains used to come in small, medium and large sizes and the chains just eliminated the small size and went to the higher priced medium and large sizes. I can remember the early Eighties ordering a small (not a personal pizza size) and eating all of it when I was younger. There is no way I could nave eaten a medium then or now.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by K Hale »

Bat22 wrote:"People ask me all the time, 'What's with the ring?' The Cross of Lorraine was the symbol of the French Resistance, but to us, it represented our friendship, and the pact that we made back in the POW camp to always be there for one another."

Is this an actual quote? It reads like something from a middle grade kids’ novel.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#22 Post by marlboro »

Pardon my ignorance, but were there any POW camps in the Afghanistan war? I don't recall of hearing of any such thing.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Chris109 »

marlboro wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but were there any POW camps in the Afghanistan war? I don't recall of hearing of any such thing.
Just one. And it held one guy who deserted and was returned in exchange for 5 bad guys. I do seem to recall that the then commander-in-chief considered him a 'hero'.

Bat22
Lieutenant Commander

#24 Post by Bat22 »

K Hale wrote:
Bat22 wrote:"People ask me all the time, 'What's with the ring?' The Cross of Lorraine was the symbol of the French Resistance, but to us, it represented our friendship, and the pact that we made back in the POW camp to always be there for one another."

Is this an actual quote? It reads like something from a middle grade kids’ novel.
Well, I certainly felt talked down to when Jay-Mag said it.

Amian
Admiral

#25 Post by Amian »

Bat22 wrote:
K Hale wrote:

Well, I certainly felt talked down to when Jay-Mag said it.
Pretty basic writing (I thought the reference to young adult lit nailed it), but not especially egregious in my opinion. It's par for the course in loads of detective shows and police procedurals. They are full of this kind of explication, especially when trying to resolve a plot quickly.

That said, the writers should have found a more suitable group symbol for the reboot.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by perfectlykevin »

^^^THIS^^^ Hard not to compare the original vs the modern take but seriously, don't treat the viewer like they have the intelligence of a canned ham. Leave some stuff unexplained. Let the viewer piece some stuff together on their own. I don't need to know the whole backstory in the first half season.