Season 1 Episode 10: Bad Day to Be a Hero (1.10)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
9%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
9%
7.5 (Decent)
27%
7.0 (Average at Best)
18%
6.5 (Not So Good)
9%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.5 (Just Awful)
9%
5.0 (Refuse to Watch)
18%

Total votes: 11

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 1 Episode 10: Bad Day to Be a Hero (1.10)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Episode 10 finally has a title and will be released Dec. 10......maybe the 3 weeks between episodes will give them a better product! :wink: :lol:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 10: Bad Day to Be a Hero (1.10)

#2 Post by KingKC »

I guess we have to ask: Will the 3 week hiatus result in "absence makes the heart grow fonder" or " out of sight, out of mind?"

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

KingKC wrote:I guess we have to ask: Will the 3 week hiatus result in "absence makes the heart grow fonder" or " out of sight, out of mind?"

I'm leaning towards the latter. :wink:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KENJI »

The fall finale was par for the course. :roll:
Katsumoto is now their drinking buddy after this episode.....I still don't like his acting.
We see a new Hawaiian shirt on Thomas. I didn't compare it really closely, but it sure looks like the same pattern as the first one , but yellow and with what looks to be a hint of pink- I'll pass!
Juliet was kicking butt again in this episode, she does have the moves! She even has a decent American accent.
Icepick's scene was small an uneventful as he is in jail.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by KingKC »

KENJI wrote:The fall finale was par for the course. :roll:
Katsumoto is now their drinking buddy after this episode.....I still don't like his acting.
We see a new Hawaiian shirt on Thomas. I didn't compare it really closely, but it sure looks like the same pattern as the first one , but yellow and with what looks to be a hint of pink- I'll pass!
Juliet was kicking butt again in this episode, she does have the moves! She even has a decent American accent.
To make it a little more "par for the course" you need to add the military connection and the obviously unrealistic special effect (implied) of four people jumping from a helicopter onto a moving boat (shades of the pilot episode!!!). Rescuing people locked up reminded me of Thank Heaven for Little Girls (and big ones too.) But I actually liked this one.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by KingKC »

Just another thought. Is this the first of Rick finding a girl and thinking marriage only to have the girl leave at the end??? At least this was a serious consideration of a relationship.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I have to admit I mostly tuned in to see Corbin Bernsen as Ice Pick. What did you guys think of him? The rest of the episode I wasn't paying close attention to because I was doing other things. I still haven't seen Elisha Cook's Ice Pick (have yet to start season 4), only the one played by Walter Chotzen in season 3's "Past Tense".

So I guess Eugene Roche and Elisha Cook are the 2 guys to look forward to in season 4. :)

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Steve »

KingKC wrote:Just another thought. Is this the first of Rick finding a girl and thinking marriage only to have the girl leave at the end??? At least this was a serious consideration of a relationship.
Not just a girl, Rick hooks up with Meadow Soprano :lol:
I thought the episode was pretty good but I did not like that Icepick is in prison. So far I am on board for all of the main actors even Tim Kang as Katsumoto is growing on me. Ken Jeong as Luther H. Gillis is a HUGE miss, Corbin Bernsen as Icepick and James Remar as Buck Green have a ways to go to win me over....
By the way, the show is winning its time slot on Mondays so far and is in the top ten of new shows so my guess is it will be around for another season........(sorry never watchers)

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by KingKC »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:I have to admit I mostly tuned in to see Corbin Bernsen as Ice Pick. What did you guys think of him? The rest of the episode I wasn't paying close attention to because I was doing other things. I still haven't seen Elisha Cook's Ice Pick (have yet to start season 4), only the one played by Walter Chotzen in season 3's "Past Tense".

So I guess Eugene Roche and Elisha Cook are the 2 guys to look forward to in season 4. :)
I think Elisha Cook looked a lot more like a retired mobster than Corbin Bernsen.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by terryfromkerry »

I must say I liked Corbin Berenson as Icepick. There was a real hint of a dark menacing side to the character.
I recently saw him impressively play a Sherriff of very dubious character in "Hap and Leonard" ( a show I feel my mania brothers and sisters might like). So I feel he is a positive and credible addition to the mix.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

KingKC wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:I have to admit I mostly tuned in to see Corbin Bernsen as Ice Pick. What did you guys think of him? The rest of the episode I wasn't paying close attention to because I was doing other things. I still haven't seen Elisha Cook's Ice Pick (have yet to start season 4), only the one played by Walter Chotzen in season 3's "Past Tense".

I think Elisha Cook looked a lot more like a retired mobster than Corbin Bernsen.
It's funny because I just can't see Elisha Cook as a mobster. He seems best suited to play stumbling bums and lackeys. At least those are the types of roles I remember him from.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#12 Post by marlboro »

I'm only talking about the old show here, but I kind of wish they had never shown him onscreen. By never showing him he becomes a larger than life figure.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by T.Q. »

Steve wrote:
KingKC wrote:Just another thought. Is this the first of Rick finding a girl and thinking marriage only to have the girl leave at the end??? At least this was a serious consideration of a relationship.
By the way, the show is winning its time slot on Mondays so far and is in the top ten of new shows so my guess is it will be around for another season........(sorry never watchers)
I don’t see it.

I don’t know if The Voice was 2 hours. If it was it beat Magmum. Otherwise people simply didn’t tune into the Christmas specials.

NBC was first in ratings on Monday with a 1.2 rating/5 share in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic and in total viewers with an average of 6.8 million, according to preliminary numbers. “The Voice” at 8 p.m. posted a 1.4/5 and 8.4 million viewers. Pentatonix’s turn to celebrate the holidays followed.

CBS was second in ratings with a 1.1/4 and in viewers with 6.7 million. “The Neighborhood” at 8 had a 1.3/6 and 7.1 million viewers. At 8:30, “Happy Together” got a 1.0/4 and 5.2 million viewers. The “Magnum P.I.” fall finale at 9 received a 1.0/4 and 6 million viewers. The “Bull” fall finale at 10 put up a 1.0/4 and 8 million viewers.

2 million more people turned on CBS to watch Bull after Magmum. And the demo number of 1.0 was revised it seems down to the regular 0.8 rating (sorry new Magmum fans). :P
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by perfectlykevin »

Looks like, to my eyes, the Team Ring changed a bit in this episode. The oval part which has the Cross of Lorraine on it seemed closer to the body of the ring than in previous episodes. Seemed more like the classic Team Ring.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote:The fall finale was par for the course. :roll:
Hi Guy,
You are so right about the stiff playing Katsumoto, his emotions run the gamut from A to B.
Whoever does the casting for this show should be put in the sealed water tank Wo Fat used on McGarrett in the pilot for Hawaii 5-0.
As for Juliette Higgins, I note they once again snuck in a lingering side shot of her to highlight her spectacular curves as she is one of those people
that the camera loves. She is no doubt making a lot of 14 year old fan boys happy every time she walks onscreen. Now if only she'd stop getting her
hair done by a drunk Stevie Wonder using a Yugoslavian lawn mower with a dull blade.
I would just add that the body count is getting more ridiculous by the week. Hawaii must see more firefights daily than the Afghan outback.
Enuff with the over blown scenarios, where assault rifles or high tech BS replaces good writing.
And the weekly "Band of Brothers" angle is running thin as motivation for the Boys to risk their lives for a stranger. It never went much beyond your
buddies and your immediate unit anyway. Besides, you can be a good soldier and still be a total bastard when you return to civilian life.

"Why do they lock gas station bathrooms? Are they afraid someone will clean them?"...George Carlin