I can't watch this

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

wilko
Captain

Re: I can't watch this

#16 Post by wilko »

I stopped watching at episode 6. I saw the trailer for episode 7 and it was so far fetched I stopped.

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

#17 Post by Hawaii Winds »

Hey all,

I only watch the series for the scenery....

Amian
Admiral

#18 Post by Amian »

Hawaii Winds wrote:Hey all,

I only watch the series for the scenery....
As someone who lives on the east coast, I can attest to the need for sunny scenery in the fall and winter. You're in CA, though, right?

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by KingKC »

The more I watch reruns of the original, the less I like the reboot.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by eagle »

KingKC wrote:The more I watch reruns of the original, the less I like the reboot.
Ha - I have had the same experience. The reboot has made me appreciate the original all the more.

Amian
Admiral

#21 Post by Amian »

eagle wrote:
KingKC wrote:The more I watch reruns of the original, the less I like the reboot.
Ha - I have had the same experience. The reboot has made me appreciate the original all the more.
Same, I find the reboot passable (usually) but it is only elevating the original in my eyes.

KingKamehameha
Ensign

#22 Post by KingKamehameha »

I’ve tried - really tried, to like the reboot. But it’s just completely awful for reasons already mentioned in this forum repeatedly. Bad acting, terrible writing, bad casting, stupid plot devices, and a back story that just doesn’t hold weight. As was asked previously, why are Higgins, Magnum, TC and Rick even in Hawaii? Ratings will continue to bomb. Nothing can save this show. Not even beautiful scenery, hot women, or a Ferrari. If they had just made it a continuation, had Tom Selleck, Larry Manetti, and Roger Mosley in the pilot episode sort of “handing off to a new generation” with a good back story then CBS could have inherited an instant fan base.

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

#23 Post by Hawaii Winds »

Nifty911 wrote:I have watched 1 and 1/2 episodes. I just can't watch this.

What really lost if for me was the character jumping out of the moving car onto the helicopter. I mean come on. And Higgins was able to tie into some satellite to track the "bad guys". There is action and then there is a level of ridiculousness that goes beyond reason.

I haven't read all the discussions but I don't see how this makes it two seasons.

You're right....looks like a Hawaiian version of the "Fast and the Furious"

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by perfectlykevin »

With so much CGI it is hard to even appreciate the natural beauty of Hawaii. Practically the entire Estate is CGI. The tidal pool is CGI. Unless they are out and about it is hard to even care for the scenery. And I think sometimes they even "enhance" the backgrounds to make it more sunny etc.

I appreciated the original's filming. There were times that storms were rolling in and it was (gasp!) cloudy in the background. This new one is like some CGI'd commercial for the tourist board.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#25 Post by Pahonu »

KingKamehameha wrote:I’ve tried - really tried, to like the reboot. But it’s just completely awful for reasons already mentioned in this forum repeatedly. Bad acting, terrible writing, bad casting, stupid plot devices, and a back story that just doesn’t hold weight. As was asked previously, why are Higgins, Magnum, TC and Rick even in Hawaii? Ratings will continue to bomb. Nothing can save this show. Not even beautiful scenery, hot women, or a Ferrari. If they had just made it a continuation, had Tom Selleck, Larry Manetti, and Roger Mosley in the pilot episode sort of “handing off to a new generation” with a good back story then CBS could have inherited an instant fan base.
I really tried too, but kind of dropped it after they had a few weeks of repeats. I didn't hate it as many seem to on the forum, but I just lost interest. I wouldn't call it completely awful, but it isn't very good. It certainly had a very high standard it was being judged against. For all the jokes about "Shiggens", she may have been the most interesting part for me. Oh well! I'm out.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by eagle »

Pahonu wrote:I really tried too, but kind of dropped it after they had a few weeks of repeats. I didn't hate it as many seem to on the forum, but I just lost interest. I wouldn't call it completely awful, but it isn't very good. It certainly had a very high standard it was being judged against. For all the jokes about "Shiggens", she may have been the most interesting part for me. Oh well! I'm out.
Agreed - in my mind, Juliet was the one bright spot on the show.

I watched only on cbs.com, and gave up after 5 or so episodes. I never paid attention to when new episodes appeared after that.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Chris109 »

Look on the bright side. January 2 is the premiere of The Masked Singer.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Reef monkey »

I gave it about 3-4 episodes. Didn't make a conscious decision to stop watching, after the first episode, which I watched live, I waited to watch the others from DVR, and then they just started piling up on the DVR with me saying, "I'll catch up later", and never doing it. No great animosity against the show, just no interest, so last night I finally deleted them and stopped the DVR from recording any more.

Have to admit, it's also kind of the way the new Star Trek series went for me. I finished last season, but didn't even bother reupping my CBS All-Access subscription this season.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Chris109 »

Reef monkey wrote: Have to admit, it's also kind of the way the new Star Trek series went for me. I finished last season, but didn't even bother reupping my CBS All-Access subscription this season.

wilko
Captain

#30 Post by wilko »

Hawaii Winds wrote:
Nifty911 wrote:I have watched 1 and 1/2 episodes. I just can't watch this.

What really lost if for me was the character jumping out of the moving car onto the helicopter. I mean come on. And Higgins was able to tie into some satellite to track the "bad guys". There is action and then there is a level of ridiculousness that goes beyond reason.

I haven't read all the discussions but I don't see how this makes it two seasons.

You're right....looks like a Hawaiian version of the "Fast and the Furious"
So true :roll: