Season 1 Episode 7: The Cat Who Cried Wolf (1.7)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
6%
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
6%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
13%
7.5 (Decent)
25%
7.0 (Average at Best)
19%
6.5 (Not So Good)
No votes
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
6%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
25%

Total votes: 16

Amian
Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 7: The Cat Who Cried Worl (1.7)

#31 Post by Amian »

marlboro wrote:I always thought that Magnum getting snippy whenever someone called him a detective was kinda dumb. If Sherlock Holmes was cool with being a "consulting detective" I don't see why TM would have a bug up his sss about it.
I always took it to be one of his quirks. I mean, he is an unusual fellow, and we've all got irrational preferences for something or other.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#32 Post by marlboro »

I don't know. It just seems weird. It's like someone insisting that they are an administrative assistant instead of a secretary. It would be different if there was any difference between a detective and a P.I.

We had this conversation here a while back and someone posted that they thought there was a stigma attached to being a detective. Im not sure I agree with that. There are certainly sleazy detectives in fiction, but there are just way too many beloved detective characters for me to believe that they are looked down on.

If people referred to him as a "snoop" or "dick" I could see him getting ticked off.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

In fact I think "detective" actually sounds cooler and more important than "investigator". When I think of a detective I think of a high-ranking police officer in charge of a case. Someone pretty important. Whereas an investigator could be a fire investigator, an insurance investigator, etc. Pretty vague. A detective is more specific and just sounds cooler. I'd rather be called a detective.

EDIT: Or maybe that's the problem. Maybe detective means "cop" to TM and he doesn't want to be thought of as a cop. Hey, that's probably it! People clam up around cops.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Steve »

Perhaps he prefers Investigator due to the fact he was in the Office of Naval Intelligence in the Navy............

sandbiscuits
Captain

#35 Post by sandbiscuits »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:EDIT: Or maybe that's the problem. Maybe detective means "cop" to TM and he doesn't want to be thought of as a cop. Hey, that's probably it! People clam up around cops.
You know what, this sounds pretty convincing to me. He's always at odds with the police (though of course it's more complicated than that), and being an investigator keeps him at a remove. An independent operator.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#36 Post by marlboro »

"Hi, I'm a private investigator."

"So, you're a detective, huh? "

"Actually, I'm a gynecologist."

Even if he calls himself a PI to distinguish himself from the police force (which is a bit of a stretch) it still doesn't add up. If someone called him a cop and he corrected them with PI, that makes sense. But when someone thinks he's a detective and he peevishly corrects them - when there is no difference between the terms - I just don't get it.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 7: The Cat Who Cried Wolf (1.7)

#37 Post by KENJI »

I just noticed the title was changed at one point from The Cat Who Cried Worl to The Cat Who Cried Wolf. Now that makes more sense! I wonder if they were in such a rush that no one checked leading up to the release. :oops: :lol:
Did anyone save this episode? If so, can you check the title at the beginning of the show.

karolis
Admiral

#38 Post by karolis »

KENJI wrote:I just noticed the title was changed at one point from The Cat Who Cried Worl to The Cat Who Cried Wolf. Now that makes more sense! I wonder if they were in such a rush that no one checked leading up to the release. :oops: :lol:
Did anyone save this episode? If so, can you check the title at the beginning of the show.
I have this episode, but I believe there's no title. Haven't seen any episode title displayed anywhere on the show since first episode.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

It's listed as The Cat Who Cried Wolf on IMDb.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by KENJI »

karolis wrote:
KENJI wrote:I just noticed the title was changed at one point from The Cat Who Cried Worl to The Cat Who Cried Wolf. Now that makes more sense! I wonder if they were in such a rush that no one checked leading up to the release. :oops: :lol:
I have this episode, but I believe there's no title. Haven't seen any episode title displayed anywhere on the show since first episode.
Thanks for looking Karolis! :D

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by KENJI »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:It's listed as The Cat Who Cried Wolf on IMDb.
Hi MagnumsLeftShoulder,
Thanks for that.....I've seen it in a few other places with this title too so we will go with it.....makes more sense anyways.......what the heck is a worl anyways?! :? :)

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by perfectlykevin »

I always figured "detective" sounded very "gum-shoe" back in the 80's Today we think not much of the word detective. I think it was the association with a Mickey Spade-esque, trench coat wearing image he was trying to avoid, lest he become the Luther Gillis of the islands :)

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I have enjoyed this episode very much.

In the original Series, Magnum has been often hired to find/protect animals - so after dogs/goats/dolphins/horses we now have a cat.

He interacts very well with the girl and I am pretty sure that we see him dating the mother later in the series.

I also enjoy how the episode develops from an innocent search for a cat into suspense of a much larger dimension.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

T.Q. wrote:
Now that was funny !