Pilot to Ep2 Ratings and Beyond

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Pilot to Ep2 Ratings and Beyond

#1 Post by T.Q. »

Was curious about the ratings.

8.1M (pilot) to 6.3M (From The Head Down) total viewers.

Down almost 25%. That’s a big drop.
Last edited by T.Q. on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Amian
Admiral

Re: Pilot to Ep2 ratings

#2 Post by Amian »

That does seem big. How does it compare to other recent shows that started off in a similar viewership range?

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote:Was curious about the ratings.

That info made my day. Thank you!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by T.Q. »

Amian wrote:That does seem big. How does it compare to other recent shows that started off in a similar viewership range?
I think a lot of shows drop off a bit.

The #1 show Monday dropped 18% but the pilot had 10.5M (2.4M more than Magmun) viewers.

I think 10M + viewers is hard to maintain for any these shows but I’m no expert. :oops:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by T.Q. »

ConchRepublican wrote:

That info made my day. Thank you!
:lol:

It will be interesting to see going forward.

Losing 2M. Assume some new viewers are in that 6.3M figure and don’t return...

CBS is stubborn in cancelling shows though.

sandbiscuits
Captain

#6 Post by sandbiscuits »

T.Q. wrote:
Amian wrote:That does seem big. How does it compare to other recent shows that started off in a similar viewership range?

The #1 show Monday dropped 18% but the pilot had 10.5M (2.4M more than Magmun) viewers.

I think 10M + viewers is hard to maintain for any these shows but I’m no expert. :oops:
It's almost surreal to see some of the numbers from the past, when there were only a few stations. Do you know what MPI in the 1980s averaged per week?

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by T.Q. »

sandbiscuits wrote:
T.Q. wrote:

It's almost surreal to see some of the numbers from the past, when there were only a few stations. Do you know what MPI in the 1980s averaged per week?
No. Looked it up. Hard to find anything.

Now I’m really curious.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Kevster »

A 22.6 rating in both 1982-1983 and in 1983-84. 83+/- Million TVs, and 22.6%... 18,750,000+/-

MPI dropped to 19.1 the next year due to Cosby. 15,850,000+/-

The pie is now 120M+/- set, or 50% larger, and the shows pull <50% of the older shows. Even the biggest hits are weak by comparison. Apples and Oranges, in a sense.
Trust Me!!!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by T.Q. »

Kevster wrote:A 22.6 rating in both 1982-1983 and in 1983-84. 83+/- Million TVs, and 22.6%... 18,750,000+/-

MPI dropped to 19.1 the next year due to Cosby. 15,850,000+/-

The pie is now 120M+/- set, or 50% larger, and the shows pull <50% of the older shows. Even the biggest hits are weak by comparison. Apples and Oranges, in a sense.
Thanks Kevster.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Kevster »

:wink:
Trust Me!!!

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by perfectlykevin »

Just curious, does anyone watch a tv show on network the night of airing? Can't say I've watched tv that way in about 5 yrs.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by T.Q. »

perfectlykevin wrote:Just curious, does anyone watch a tv show on network the night of airing? Can't say I've watched tv that way in about 5 yrs.
I rarely do.

Or start watching 30 minutes after the start to skip the commercials.

I hate commercials with a passion. So loud and obnoxious. Even mute them if I’m watching a show live.

“Get off my lawn!” :P

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

perfectlykevin wrote:Just curious, does anyone watch a tv show on network the night of airing? Can't say I've watched tv that way in about 5 yrs.

The few shows I watch, I always wait about 20 minutes after it starts to start watching. Some shows have commercial breaks that last longer than 5 minutes. T.Q. is right about how LOUD they are. It's ridiculous.

karolis
Admiral

#14 Post by karolis »

As far as i remember - football shifted the schedule to about 40 min later in eastern and central timezones last week, this might have influenced ratings negatively as well.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by T.Q. »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:

The few shows I watch, I always wait about 20 minutes after it starts to start watching. Some shows have commercial breaks that last longer than 5 minutes. T.Q. is right about how LOUD they are. It's ridiculous.
You get TV Land?

They air old M*A*S*H episodes.

Not only do they stretch the episodes to 40 minutes... they actually slice and dice scenes out of them.

Really ridiculous. 20 minutes commercials... for 20 minutes (edited) episode. LOL