Pilot to Ep2 Ratings and Beyond

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

karolis
Admiral

Re: Pilot to Ep2 Ratings and Beyond

#211 Post by karolis »

T.Q. wrote:I liked Hawaii Five-O for the first 5 seasons or so.

Then it became super dumbed down after Wo Fat died.

Really lame around episode when a CGI plane landed on Kalakaua Ave.

Anyways, people like dumbed down now I guess (weak stories with no depth and lotsa auto-gunfire and tired choreographed fights) so...

Looks like Mini-Mag will live on.
Hawaii Five-O and Magnum P.I. is the only 'dumbed down' shows i continue to watch. I do prefer deeper or more sophisticated shows (like 'Dark' on Netflix, which is super complex, philosophical, mind blowing and completely underrated just because it's a German show, 'The Outsider', 'Narcos', 'Ozark, 'The Haunting of Hill House'). But once or twice a week i like to watch something more uplifting and colourful like 'Hawaii Five-O' or 'Magnum P.I.'

ACMS
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#212 Post by ACMS »

Gidday again from Australia, I’m a big fan of the original MPI and actually travelled to Hawaii and swam in the tidal pool.....was fun.

I was dead against the reboot and gave PL a hard time on Twitter!! But I must say I’ve kind of grown to like the re boot now and can overlook Higgins changing sex!!

Looking forward to it coming back on my television for the remainder of season 2 soon.

Cheer all.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#213 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Gday and welcome to MM.

Glad to hear that you‘ve changed your view, maybe you want to tell this to PL as well?

As for Juliet Higgins, imo it‘s the best move that they could have done.
Any male actor - no matter what age - would have been continuously compared to John Hillerman directly and would have ended badly.

I mostly enjoy the reboot because of her and the marvelous location and drone shots.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#214 Post by Laohu »

sandbiscuits
Captain

#215 Post by sandbiscuits »

Been enjoying the second season quite a bit. I think the show's been steadily improving since a mixed bag in the first season.

I wonder, did a lot of people compare the H-50 reboot to the original throughout the reboot's run? Was the scrutiny similar to what I have been seeing on this forum for the MPI reboot? From what I can tell most people here seem to feel positively toward the H-50 reboot (or at least are pretty forgiving about it). Was that always the case?

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#216 Post by Laohu »

CBS

Renewed, or almost

All Rise

Bob Hearts Abishola

Bull

Blue Bloods

Evil

FBI

FBI: Most Wanted

MacGyver

Magnum P.I.

Mom

NCIS

NCIS: Los Angeles

NCIS: New Orleans

The Neighborhood

SEAL Team

On the bubble

Carol's Second Act

Man with a Plan

S.W.A.T.

Tommy

The Unicorn

Canceled, or nearly dead

Criminal Minds*

God Friended Me*

Hawaii Five-O*

Madam Secretary*

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#217 Post by T.Q. »

Holy moly.

Fri 12/04/2020 03-01
Key Demo 0.50 -12.28%
Viewers 5.4M -14.12%

Fri 12/11/2020 03-02
Key Demo 0.50 0.00%
Total Viewers 5.6M +3.42%

OUCH.

Tuned in this week. Black masked automatic weapons gang and they’re stuck in a building. :roll:

Same ol. Same ol. :oops:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#218 Post by T.Q. »

I realized rating have no bearing on shows anymore.

Been watching the Blacklist and it was just renewed for another season.

The ratings are horrible.

Fri 02/26/2021
08-08
0.30 -14.29% in demo.
3.455 million viewers

Syndication, streaming services paying, DVD sales, etc. must dictate now whether shows continue.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#219 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:04 pm I realized rating have no bearing on shows anymore.

Been watching the Blacklist and it was just renewed for another season.

The ratings are horrible.

Fri 02/26/2021
08-08
0.30 -14.29% in demo.
3.455 million viewers

Syndication, streaming services paying, DVD sales, etc. must dictate now whether shows continue.
The show was an abortion from the beginning and never should have been greenlit as it was.

But, I repeat myself.

I'll see myself out.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#220 Post by T.Q. »

Fri 04/30/2021
03-15

Key Demo: 0.40
-25.93%

Total Viewers: 5.109
-8.41%

:shock:
Last edited by T.Q. on Tue May 04, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#221 Post by eagle »

I continue to watch, and I continue to hate the show. It's just something to have on as I'm doing other things, like work.

The plot lines are generally predictable, shallow, and/or contrived.

Whereas all 4 main characters in the original were important in all but an episode or two, and at least some of the "secondary characters" (TC's pier and/or helicopter, the estate, the lads, the wading pool, the 308) were important in every single episode, to this day I do not understand the point of all the main characters in the new one: Rick and TC are generally sideline characters who don't participate in the same plot lines that Magnum & Higgins participate in. What is the point of having Kumu as a main character?

As has been said elsewhere, the new Magnum wouldn't get anywhere if it weren't for Higgins's amazing hacking skills. The new Magnum doesn't piece together clues the way Selleck's version did.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#222 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

eagle wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:04 pm I continue to watch, and I continue to hate the show. It's just something to have on as I'm doing other things, like work.

The plot lines are generally predictable, shallow, and/or contrived.

Whereas all 4 main characters in the original were important in all but an episode or two, and at least some of the "secondary characters" (TC's pier and/or helicopter, the estate, the lads, the wading pool, the 308) were important in every single episode, to this day I do not understand the point of all the main characters in the new one: Rick and TC are generally sideline characters who don't participate in the same plot lines that Magnum & Higgins participate in. What is the point of having Kumu as a main character?

As has been said elsewhere, the new Magnum wouldn't get anywhere if it weren't for Higgins's amazing hacking skills. The new Magnum doesn't piece together clues the way Selleck's version did.
There's no rhyme or reason for anything, really. This applies to all reboots. It was there in the original so we bring it into the reboot even if it doesn't belong or even if we don't use it as we should. For instance, in the Five-O reboot somewhere around season 3 or 4 they decided to introduce Chi McBride as this cop character named Grover. I think at first he was a semi-regular and then he became a regular. The point being is that when he was introduced Lenkov talked about how they were bringing back a character from the original Five-O named Grover. Except that unless you were a die-hard Five-O fan you would have no idea who that is. That's because there was a season 8 episode called "The Hostage" where Jack Lord's McGarrett butted heads with a stubborn by-the-book HPD cop named Grover (played by guest star Scott Brady). That's it - the character was never seen again. So they cast Chi McBride in the new show to play this character who has absolutely nothing in common with that character from the original. Yet Lenkov says they're trying to be "faithful" to the original. Gimme a break! You pulled out some random name of some one-time character from the old show and slapped it on Chi McBride and that's it. There's no rhyme or reason for it. You're not rebooting that character at all. There's absolutely nothing in common with that character. You have Chi McBride cracking jokes with the new McGarrett on the beach and drinking beers. How is that anywhere close to the relationship between McGarrett and Grover on the old show? I mean why not have McBride play a character named Davis or Lewis or Adams or Jackson? It makes about as much sense.

It's just laziness and apathy at its worst!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#223 Post by T.Q. »

Randomly checked the Finale ratings.

Fri 05/07/2021
03-16
0.41 (Key Demo) -12.77%
4.999 (Total viewers) -6.49%

I'm surprised it's renewed but not making fun.

Okay, maybe a bit.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#224 Post by T.Q. »

Sun 02/19/2023 05-01 key demo 0.30 -23.08% viewers 3.751 -28.22%

Sun 02/19/2023 05-02 key demo 0.30 0.00% total viewers 3.228 -13.94%

Was curious the ratings. YIKES.

NBC must hope it will pay off in their streaming Peacock service.