Pilot to Ep2 Ratings and Beyond

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Amian
Admiral

Re: Pilot to Ep2 Ratings and Beyond

#121 Post by Amian »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:The main thing to understand is that this site is for all things Magnum. That means all things MAGNUM PI (1980-1988) as that is the only REAL Magnum out there. This new show isn't MPI and never will be. It carries the name but that's all it carries. ... That's all this new show has - the MAGNUM sticker. But it's a completely different show and thus can never be MPI. That's why reboots simply don't work.
Fair enough, I guess it's not working, then. But I don't think anyone sees the reboot as a replacement, and it doesn't sully the REAL Magnum, does it? The REAL Magnum holds its own and then some, to put it mildly.
IvanTheTerrible wrote:Now, if Selleck had decided to reprise his role as Magnum 30 years later then it would be a completely different story. It would essentially be a continuation of the MPI series and thus might have a legit place on this site, since the site is for all things Magnum.
Might?? If you're on the fence about that one, you are truly hard core. Salute.
IvanTheTerrible wrote:But this new show ain't Magnum. You can enjoy it - that's fine and dandy - but it ain't Magnum
(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
IvanTheTerrible wrote:So its existence on this site is something of an aberration, an anomaly. Hence why folks enjoy tearing it to shreds and having fun with it.
Seems that way, doesn't it? It's sort of become the venting thread.
IvanTheTerrible wrote:They can't take it seriously as part of the MPI universe because it isn't. It's also why we only have one thread devoted to it - the "Reboot Talk" thread.
Don't want to quibble on this, but isn't that how threads work? You get a topic (e.g. the reboot), and then people post.

If reboot stuff doesn't end up getting jettisoned from MM altogether, I'd imagine it will get more organized, with a thread per season kind of thing. But maybe not... that's up to the kind souls who maintain the site, not me.
IvanTheTerrible wrote:As for civility, hey I'm all for civility, but many of the "traditionalists" here are going "Hey, we didn't ask for this so-called reboot. In fact we lobbied against it. We shuddered at the notion of some new show brandishing the MAGNUM label. And still they went ahead and gave this to us. So why should we play nice or feel like we need to give this show a chance? In fact we have no interest in giving it a chance because we don't want it to exist. We never did. We just want it to disappear and go away". I don't think I'm too far off the mark in my estimation of the feelings of many of the traditionalists on this site. :D
This is one of the things I find so interesting... no one asked for it, but here it is. And it's not going away for the time being. So what to do? Denigrate and poke fun is one option. Another is to ignore it. Another would be to actively keep it off MM and erase "Reboot Talk." Figuring out what to do is making for all kinds of drama!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#122 Post by T.Q. »

Amian wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:
But this new show ain't Magnum. You can enjoy it - that's fine and dandy - but it ain't Magnum
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#123 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote:
Amian wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:
But this new show ain't Magnum. You can enjoy it - that's fine and dandy - but it ain't Magnum
Well done by both Amian and T.Q.!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#124 Post by Chris109 »

ConchRepublican wrote:
T.Q. wrote:
Amian wrote:
Well done by both Amian and T.Q.!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#125 Post by T.Q. »

Hope people know I’m just having fun.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#126 Post by eagle »

T.Q. wrote:Hope people know I’m just having fun.
You are the king of the anigif! lol

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#127 Post by T.Q. »

I saw a Twitter trend to save a FOX show called "The Passage" which was cancelled.

Ironically, the key demo numbers are BETTER (in red) than MiniMag P.U.

So apparently, either CBS doesn't care or the total number of viewers DOES matter afterall.

Mon 01-01 1.29
Mon 01-02 1.03 4.298
Mon 01-03 0.94 3.947
Mon 01-04 0.88 3.830
Mon 01-05 0.92 3.659
Mon 01-06 0.86 3.507
Mon 01-07 0.85 3.298
Mon 01-08 0.90 3.384
Mon 01-09 0.80 3.124
Mon 01-10 0.70 3.054

Season averages 0.92 3.733

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#128 Post by K Hale »

This may have been mentioned before but perhaps CBS is rewarding Lenkov for being successful with the new Hawaii Five-0 by indulging him in his pet project.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#129 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

What really matters is if a network owns a show outright because they don't have to share any of the profits. The ownership thing is even more important if a show is popular in foreign markets.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#130 Post by T.Q. »

K Hale wrote:This may have been mentioned before but perhaps CBS is rewarding Lenkov for being successful with the new Hawaii Five-0 by indulging him in his pet project.
I guess.

Don’t know how long they will indulge him though.

MacGyver has bad key demo numbers too.

Guess they’re happy enough with making a little bit of money OR even break even.

Network TV trying to survive right now. They have to have something on.

Can’t have this on a Friday night:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#131 Post by KingKC »

T.Q. wrote:I saw a Twitter trend to save a FOX show called "The Passage" which was cancelled.

Ironically, the key demo numbers are BETTER (in red) than MiniMag P.U.

So apparently, either CBS doesn't care or the total number of viewers DOES matter afterall.

Mon 01-01 1.29
Mon 01-02 1.03 4.298
Mon 01-03 0.94 3.947
Mon 01-04 0.88 3.830
Mon 01-05 0.92 3.659
Mon 01-06 0.86 3.507
Mon 01-07 0.85 3.298
Mon 01-08 0.90 3.384
Mon 01-09 0.80 3.124
Mon 01-10 0.70 3.054

Season averages 0.92 3.733
I am sure numbers play a major role in deciding which show is renewed or which is cancelled. But I can imagine that other factors may play a role as well. Things such as time slot, day of the week, what shows they feel can be moved and keep (or gain) audience, competition, and possibly what they have in the pipeline to replace it, cost of a new show versus an existing one, or maybe even critical acclaim. I imagine websites such as TVSeriesFinale.com and Imdb have veiwer ratings that may even be looked at. I remember when Cagney and Lacey was on the chopping block and viewer letters kept it coming back. I even considered finding an email address to write to when The Rookie was on "the bubble."

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#132 Post by Laohu »

CBS once again will finish the TV season next week as the most-watched network, averaging 9 million viewers, a figure unchanged from last year amid widespread declines elsewhere. Among adults ages 18 to 49, it's averaging 2 million, down 2%, and tied for second place. But the network has traditionally attracted a significantly older audience than its rivals.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#133 Post by T.Q. »

Still can't wrap my head around the ratings.

MINI MAG Season 2 averages:

KEY DEMO: 0.59 -33.52%
TOTAL VIEWERS: 6M

Telly’s Take: Will CBS cancel or renew Magnum PI for season three? Even if the ratings fall, I suspect this reboot will still be renewed.

Another CBS show.

ALL RISE Season 1 averages:

KEY DEMO: 0.65
TOTAL VIEWERS: 5.3M

Telly’s Take: Will CBS cancel or renew All Rise for season two? The ratings have been quite low so, I suspect this drama won’t survive to see a second season.

It's actually quite baffling to me how hell bent CBS is to keep this on the air.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#134 Post by eagle »

T.Q. wrote:Still can't wrap my head around the ratings.
I still watch, but I have no idea why. None of the episodes are memorable to me. The characters are shallow, but then the show is a product of its era: it's all explosions and gunfights, and the drama is all contrived.

I still don't enjoy the show, mostly I just use it to kill some time, such as when I'm folding laundry.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#135 Post by T.Q. »

I just don't get how any other show with those ratings gets the AX

It's weird.

Maybe they're still hoping us original fans will break down our resolve and tune in at some point.