Fleet Admiral

Re: Pilot to Ep2 Ratings and Beyond

#61 Post by eagle »

Is the reboot still on the air??

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by T.Q. »

eagle wrote:Is the reboot still on the air??
:lol:

They’re being stubborn about it.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#63 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote:
eagle wrote:Is the reboot still on the air??
:lol:

They’re being stubborn about it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Chris109 »

Only Oral Roberts can raise something from the dead.

Except himself.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by T.Q. »

Ep. 11

Monday's episode worst numbers in key demo of season so far (though total viewers up).

01/14/2019
01-11
Key Demo: 0.70
Demo Change: -12.50%
Total Viewers: 5.933
Total Viewers Change: 8.44%
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Amian
Admiral

#66 Post by Amian »

T.Q. wrote:Ep. 11

Monday's episode worst numbers in key demo of season so far (though total viewers up).

01/14/2019
01-11
So the total viewership was up 8.44% but the key demo was down by 12.5%? There must have been a huge spike in whatever the non-key demo is. Older viewers, I assume?

Come to think of it, I don't even know what categories exist... is it only age-based, or are other categories (e.g., gender) included?

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by T.Q. »

Amian wrote:

01/14/2019
01-11
So the total viewership was up 8.44% but the key demo was down by 12.5%? There must have been a huge spike in whatever the non-key demo is. Older viewers, I assume?

Come to think of it, I don't even know what categories exist... is it only age-based, or are other categories (e.g., gender) included?
Not sure about if gender and such is broken down or if it matters.

I think key demo goes to 49 year old so anyone above is not considered “key” in selling them stuff.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#68 Post by marlboro »

Expect to see a lot more MyPillow commercials.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by Chris109 »

T.Q. wrote:Not sure about if gender and such is broken down or if it matters.
If ratings are broken down to gender, then it would be safe to assume that 1 person per gender watches the show. So probably at least 250 viewers.

Amian
Admiral

#70 Post by Amian »

T.Q. wrote:
Amian wrote:

01/14/2019
01-11

Not sure about if gender and such is broken down or if it matters.

I think key demo goes to 49 year old so anyone above is not considered “key” in selling them stuff.
I'd think gender breakdown would matter for some advertisers, but maybe it isn't as big a deal for a show like MPI. Socioeconomic strata would seem to be important, too. A person over 49 y.o. with a sizable income would probably spend more than a 25 y.o. who is working his way up the ladder.

Anyway, thanks for the update. I'll admit I was surprised that the overall numbers went up after the show being off the air for a month over the holidays.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by T.Q. »

Ep. 12 (Special Sunday night Episode):

Huge number.

12M viewers.

A lot more folks left their TVs on after the AFC Championship game than I thought they would.

Up 400% in demo.

Really curious to see if this CBS strategy translates to overall bump in viewers in the next few weeks.

I thought the episode was very weak. First one I’ve watched since ep. 5.
Last edited by T.Q. on Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by T.Q. »

Ep. 13:

And POOF it was gone.

Mon 01/21/2019

Key Demo: 0.70 (Worst of the series so far)

Total viewers 5.26M (Worst of the series as well)

OUCH. :shock:

So much for the AFC Championship bounce. 8)

6.5 million viewers from Sunday night said Aloha (as in bye) the next night. :lol:

Amian
Admiral

#73 Post by Amian »

T.Q. wrote:Ep. 13:

And POOF it was gone.

Mon 01/21/2019

Key Demo: 0.70 (Worst of the series so far)

Total viewers 5.26M (Worst of the series as well)

OUCH. :shock:

So much for the AFC Championship bounce. 8)

6.5 million viewers from Sunday night said Aloha (as in bye) the next night. :lol:
Talk about a roller coaster. Wonder if two episodes in two nights was too much... also, is Sunday evening a sweet spot on non-football weeks?

Alternatively, people really didn't like what they saw on Sunday. Personally, I thought the Monday episode was one of the season's stronger entries, and would have been a better showcase for newbies, but I doubt that really matters overall. The show's been on long enough and promoted enough to have found the eyes it's going to find. I don't foresee much growth. Even the 5.26 million, while lower than in other weeks, is still in the general average zone, isn't it?

Looking at the comments in the reboot threads, it seems like a spin off for Juliette Higgins could gain traction... maybe that's the chance to bring Lily into the fold, heh.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#74 Post by ConchRepublican »

I'm really surprised considering these ratings that the show was renewed.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ConchRepublican wrote:I'm really surprised considering these ratings that the show was renewed.
It could be that CBS sees ratings potential in the future and hopes it catches fire, as have other series after poor debuts. Hawaii 5-0 is wheezing towards it final season(s),
it's running on fumes in all ways, no doubt most of it's remaining fans(who don't seem to have the highest standards else they would have moved on) would then
latch on to this lesser version of Magnum.
I see the series is a co-production between Universal and CBS Studios. Even a series not doing well ratings wise can still be a revenue stream for them in other ways
if it's on a shared lot with other series.
Universal is the King of Shenanigans in all things financial, no doubt between them and CBS they
are charging all sorts of costs to the new Magnum series. Say Magnum PI needs a Italian Deli set, Hawaii 5-0 already has one, you charge Magnum the full costs for
"building" one. The studio gets paid twice, gets another deduction off taxes and Bobs Your Uncle.
Read James Garner's biography, it's a must for anyone wanting to understand how Hollywood works, the studios actually engage in racketeering and since Hollywood
has been a total company town for the last 100 years the police look the other way. 10 years after Rockford went off the air, a classic that is shown all over the world,
Universal claimed the series had never made a dime.
The story of how decorated combat veteran and believer in Honor Garner took them on over his owed cut of the action would make a great book and
movie in itself.
Minutes before the trial where Garner was suing Universal was to begin (dozens of top execs would have been exposed to criminal charges afterwards), Universal
gave in and on the spot gave him what was first believed to be a check in the $60 million area but since is rumored to be in the $300 million plus range.
Note to Tom Selleck, better check on your residuals from Universal.

Luther Gillis: "Shove it, Scrung-o!"