Reviews

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: Reviews

#31 Post by T.Q. »

Interesting take.

Guy wrote it before (and posted after) show was renewed for Season 2 so he has a bit of egg on his face. Regardless, a good take.

https://www.tvovermind.com/why-the-new- ... -season-2/
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by T.Q. »

Sorry to the fans of Mini-Mag but can’t resist posting when I see this.

It’s part of another review.

The network that produced, aired and renewed the jaw-droppingly dreadful reboot of “Magnum P.I.” now revives the exceedingly mediocre “Man With a Plan” (9:30 p.m., TV-PG) for a third season.

http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/p ... 25103.html
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#33 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote:Sorry to the fans of Mini-Mag but can’t resist posting when I see this.

The network that produced, aired and renewed the jaw-droppingly dreadful reboot of “Magnum P.I.” now revives the exceedingly mediocre “Man With a Plan” (9:30 p.m., TV-PG) for a third season.

I'm still stunned it was renewed. I mean, I know I have low expectations for Network TV, and that I have an exceedingly high regard for Magnum, PI, but seriously, I have yet to see a glowing review of the series. Just because there's a studio in Hawaii and the new H5O can't last forever, doesn't mean that Hawaiian Eye can't be rebooted and this abomination can't be put to rest.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by eagle »

ConchRepublican wrote:I'm still stunned it was renewed. I mean, I know I have low expectations for Network TV, and that I have an exceedingly high regard for Magnum, PI, but seriously, I have yet to see a glowing review of the series. Just because there's a studio in Hawaii and the new H5O can't last forever, doesn't mean that Hawaiian Eye can't be rebooted and this abomination can't be put to rest.
I'm right with you. Despite my indications to the contrary, I have continued to watch -- for some definition of "watch" -- hoping that it would get better. It never does. I have also continued to watch the original series over the last several months (I'm now in season 3), and my appreciation for the original has increased tremendously over that time.

I've tried to enjoy the new one for what it is -- a show set in Hawaii with an attractive pair of leading cast members, and some supporting cast, and a really cool car. I still have trouble enjoying it even just for that. For me, the show continues to miss the most important things that made the magic in the original. We all know the list, but it includes the brotherhood of Magnum/TC/Rick, the Magnum-Higgins relationship, Higgins's stories (that no one ever listened to the end of...), and somehow nearly every episode managed to also loop in the Ferrari, the helicopter, the estate, the lads, and the club. And, then there were the gags/minor points: how many episodes also involved the rubber chicken or the gorilla mask or Robin's camera at some point?!

The new show is what I've started calling MINO, Magnum In Name Only. Even recognizing that, I still find it difficult to enjoy. Whereas the original had believable plots -- I could imagine myself and some buddies being in those situations -- the new series plots are all pretty unbelievable, and that's true of pretty much all of the episodes.

Maybe it's a function of the era we live in, or maybe it's a function of today's TV. Or maybe both. Back in the original, they had to rely on street smarts; in the new series, they can use computers to do amazing things. They all call each other on cellphones, something the original didn't use -- despite the fact that Robin was crazy rich. Even Charlie's Angels, which predated Magnum by several years, made use of car phones.

I dunno. I guess I'll continue to watch as I have time (I'm generally days or weeks behind), but nothing draws me to the show the way the original did, or the way that other current-run or recently-ran shows do/did. The other shows I watch are Rizzoli & Isles (only 8 more episodes before I'm done), Manifest, and Blue Bloods. Other recent shows for me were Castle, Burn Notice, Psych, and Monk.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Chris109 »

Higgins reaction to the reboot.

midnightx
Commander

#36 Post by midnightx »

ConchRepublican wrote:
T.Q. wrote:Sorry to the fans of Mini-Mag but can’t resist posting when I see this.

I'm still stunned it was renewed. I mean, I know I have low expectations for Network TV, and that I have an exceedingly high regard for Magnum, PI, but seriously, I have yet to see a glowing review of the series. Just because there's a studio in Hawaii and the new H5O can't last forever, doesn't mean that Hawaiian Eye can't be rebooted and this abomination can't be put to rest.
Agreed. Aside from a relatively small audience committed to it (including some old-timers willing to embrace it), it seems like the consensus is that the reboot is horrible. The network probably has enough invested in the show to give it another season in hopes of working with the schedule to grow its audience. Network television programming is really quite terrible these days, so low-quality programs stay on much longer than they should. No matter what happens, I think this reboot, the atrocious casting, and manipulation of its once-dynamic characters is appalling.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Laohu »

The new Thomas Magnum may not have a signature mustache but his show will have a second season. CBS has renewed their Magnum PI TV series for the 2019-20 broadcast season.
A CBS crime drama, Magnum PI stars Jay Hernandez, Perdita Weeks, Zachary Knighton, Stephen Hill, Tim Kang, and Amy Hill. The mystery thriller centers on former Navy SEAL Thomas Magnum (Hernandez), who is back from Afghanistan and working as a private investigator. Magnum lives in a guest cottage on the Robin’s Nest estate in Oahu, where he also serves as a security consultant. With his team at the ready, a vintage Ferrari at his disposal, and his trademark aviator sunglasses, Magnum is always ready to crack the next case.

The series launched in September to a 1.16 in the 18-49 demographic with 8.12 million viewers. The numbers have fallen quite a bit since then and the 13 episodes have averaged a 0.96 in the demo with 6.07 million. Compared to the 21 scripted CBS shows, Magnum PI ranks ninth in the demo and has done significantly better in the timeslot than last year’s occupants (cancelled sitcoms like Kevin Can Wait, Superior Donuts, 9JKL, and Living Biblically).

I don’t know what all this means other then it is doing better in the time slot and got renewed . Being number 9 of there scripted shows does not mean as much as it once did . Lenkov has a good record of keeping his shows on the air .

ConchRepublican

#38 Post by ConchRepublican »

Laohu wrote:The new Thomas Magnum may not have a signature mustache but his show will have a second season. CBS has renewed their Magnum PI TV series for the 2019-20 broadcast season.
A CBS crime drama, Magnum PI stars Jay Hernandez, Perdita Weeks, Zachary Knighton, Stephen Hill, Tim Kang, and Amy Hill. The mystery thriller centers on former Navy SEAL Thomas Magnum (Hernandez), who is back from Afghanistan and working as a private investigator. Magnum lives in a guest cottage on the Robin’s Nest estate in Oahu, where he also serves as a security consultant. With his team at the ready, a vintage Ferrari at his disposal, and his trademark aviator sunglasses, Magnum is always ready to crack the next case.

The series launched in September to a 1.16 in the 18-49 demographic with 8.12 million viewers. The numbers have fallen quite a bit since then and the 13 episodes have averaged a 0.96 in the demo with 6.07 million. Compared to the 21 scripted CBS shows, Magnum PI ranks ninth in the demo and has done significantly better in the timeslot than last year’s occupants (cancelled sitcoms like Kevin Can Wait, Superior Donuts, 9JKL, and Living Biblically).

I don’t know what all this means other then it is doing better in the time slot and got renewed . Being number 9 of there scripted shows does not mean as much as it once did . Lenkov has a good record of keeping his shows on the air .
He has a flashdrive with compromising photos. :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by 308GUY »

ConchRepublican wrote: He has a flashdrive with compromising photos. :wink:
I know I've really tried to accept the roboot....er REboot and I'm aware it'll go on whether I do or not...BUT..the above is the best explanation I can think of for WHY?

Saw an interview with mini-mag and they must have instructed the hosts not to even mention our beloved original before air time, as it was not brought up once! Never even MENTIONED one time! :x
Somebody that didn't know any better would not know this iteration is NOT the origin of the series. It's like they tried to steal everything possible, but give no credit to where it came from...despicable! I've heard of stealing somebody's "thunder"....but the entire weather system?????

This whole deal is like some of the kids I've seen enjoying what their parents left without any regard what-so-ever for where it came from and WHY and HOW it is, they even have access to it....let alone taking credit for it, or just believing they are "owed" something from the work of those who came before them. Despicable! (Picture Sylvester the cat saying it!....I'm not good with CG stuff, but I'm sure it's out there..) :lol:

Ok, rant over. Back to our regularly scheduled "nostalgia" party... :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ConchRepublican

#40 Post by ConchRepublican »

308GUY wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote: He has a flashdrive with compromising photos. :wink:
I know I've really tried to accept the roboot....er REboot and I'm aware it'll go on whether I do or not...BUT..the above is the best explanation I can think of for WHY?

Saw an interview with mini-mag and they must have instructed the hosts not to even mention our beloved original before air time, as it was not brought up once! Never even MENTIONED one time! :x
Somebody that didn't know any better would not know this iteration is NOT the origin of the series. It's like they tried to steal everything possible, but give no credit to where it came from...despicable! I've heard of stealing somebody's "thunder"....but the entire weather system?????

This whole deal is like some of the kids I've seen enjoying what their parents left without any regard what-so-ever for where it came from and WHY and HOW it is, they even have access to it....let alone taking credit for it, or just believing they are "owed" something from the work of those who came before them. Despicable! (Picture Sylvester the cat saying it!....I'm not good with CG stuff, but I'm sure it's out there..) :lol:

Ok, rant over. Back to our regularly scheduled "nostalgia" party... :magnum:
Nice rant!!

I think this perfectly captures, for me, what's wrong with the "reboot". Seeing this caused me to go for the third martini and, as we know, martini's are like boobs. (one is not enough and three are too many . . .)

CoziTV Superfan spot

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by MagnumILWU »

I watch it now and then. It's hard not to compare, but it is what it is! I watched it tonight, and I believe they were drinking "Coops Beer"!
"pickled egg please"

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Laohu »

Coops has been on the show before and mentioned by name a couple of times .

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Reef monkey »

Two or three weeks ago I finally told my wife she could delete all the episodes from our DVR and cancel the scheduled recording. I had watched three episodes, and though hadn't made a conscious decision to stop watching, had just lost interest.

We've also done the same for Lenkov's Hawaii 5-0, after years of pretty religiously watching that. It was after Chin-Ho and Kono left that our interest started to wane. My wife was never as into it as I was, though she had the hots for Scott Caan.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

ConchRepublican

#44 Post by ConchRepublican »

Reef monkey wrote:Two or three weeks ago I finally told my wife she could delete all the episodes from our DVR and cancel the scheduled recording. I had watched three episodes, and though hadn't made a conscious decision to stop watching, had just lost interest.

We've also done the same for Lenkov's Hawaii 5-0, after years of pretty religiously watching that. It was after Chin-Ho and Kono left that our interest started to wane. My wife was never as into it as I was, though she had the hots for Scott Caan.

CoziTV Superfan spot

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by T.Q. »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Reef monkey wrote:Two or three weeks ago I finally told my wife she could delete all the episodes from our DVR and cancel the scheduled recording. I had watched three episodes, and though hadn't made a conscious decision to stop watching, had just lost interest.

Don't want to "upset" anyone here but I have a theory CBS (edit from CBC what can I say honest mistake I’m Canadian, eh) as manufactured positive reviews on IMDb.

The rating is 5.5/10 (same as Rotten Tomatoes) yet very recently many of the newer reviews last few months are practically 10/10.

Just found it interesting.

Last edited by T.Q. on Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.