TC's (dramically) changing rank/uniform ...

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

f14peter
Lieutenant

TC's (dramically) changing rank/uniform ...

#1 Post by f14peter »

... trailer vs episode.

Trailer ...

with rank of a sergeant, which doesn't seem to jive with him being a helo pilot. I don't know about the US Marine Corps, but I know in the US Army most helo pilots are Warrant Officers. I know USMC has WOs as a rank so I was taken aback by the Sergeant stripes. He also has the red piping and white belt worn only by enlisted on their dress blues.

Now, along comes the broadcast of episode 1 ...

Now, the red piping is gone as would be correct for an officer's dress blue jacket, and Sergeant stripes and hash marks are gone. But while it's hard to tell, looks like he's wearing the gold oak leaves of a Major, which again strikes me as odd. I would imagine it would take a fairly lengthy career in the Corps to achieve that rank. And I think the black belt is more correct.

and just to make things interesting, I found this image as part of an online review of the episode ...

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

Re: TC's (dramically) changing rank/uniform ...

#2 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

You think that they would have given Hernandez something to stand on in the above photo. The height disparity between him and the rest of the cast is really evident :D :lol: . At the height of both wars it was about 10 to 11 years to make Major. So standard career progression would make them about 32 or 33 when they attained that rank. That’s seems appropriate in the timeline. Most rotary aviators are Warrant Officers, but there are Commissioned rotary aviators also. It’s all part of organizational structure. The flying time is reduced or non-existent as you move up the Officer ranks. What’s unheard of is Field Grade Officers running around unshaven in dress uniforms. It annoys me to the point I can’t watch 5-0 or Tiny Mag.
Faith and Begorrah!

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Kevster »

There are exceptions for some grooming rules, but they are RARE.

The one that intrigued me has nothing to do with MPI. It was about special scouts in the military who were recruited from the Native American tribes. They recruited individuals with heightened tracking skills, essentially people of almost ESP like ability, and groomed them when putting them in uniform. Short haircuts, etc. They found that the special skills DISAPPEARED. They did some testing, by pairing similarly skilled recruits, but left one person ungroomed.
It appeared in the study that the groomed recruit lost the ability, while the ungroomed did not. It seems that the REALLY LONG HAIR on the Native American recruits connected to their nervous system in a way that gave them incredible sensitivity to their surrounding, and cutting the hair off killed that sensitivity!!! Very cool!!

This means nothing in MPI land, but I thought it was cool.

Those uniform / grooming issues with TV and movies are a really repulsive to those who are or were in uniform.
Trust Me!!!

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Reef monkey »

On the grooming issue, since this is not the first time I've seen someone talk about it, I think they have all been honorably discharged from service, so they can grow their facial hair however they want. They are only wearing their uniforms because they are attending a funeral for a veteran presumably being buried with military honors, which is one situation where veterans and retirees (served at least 20 years) are allowed to wear dress uniforms. Technically, they are supposed to meet grooming and weight control standards, which would mean shaving, but if they're just pulling their dress uniforms out of the back of the closet for this one afternoon at a funeral that wasn't high profile, they probably could skate by without anyone taking official action against them.

Was TC's rank ever mentioned in the original series? I feel like I remember Rick's rank, and I remember he was enlisted. I always assumed TC was at least a WO since he was a pilot.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Kevster »

Reef monkey wrote:On the grooming issue, since this is not the first time I've seen someone talk about it, I think they have all been honorably discharged from service, so they can grow their facial hair however they want. They are only wearing their uniforms because they are attending a funeral for a veteran presumably being buried with military honors, which is one situation where veterans and retirees (served at least 20 years) are allowed to wear dress uniforms. Technically, they are supposed to meet grooming and weight control standards, which would mean shaving, but if they're just pulling their dress uniforms out of the back of the closet for this one afternoon at a funeral that wasn't high profile, they probably could skate by without anyone taking official action against them.

Was TC's rank ever mentioned in the original series? I feel like I remember Rick's rank, and I remember he was enlisted. I always assumed TC was at least a WO since he was a pilot.
Didn't the gate guard say "Lt. Calvin" when Nuzzo was riding shotgun and TC was about to steal the chopper in DYSTS Part 2?
Trust Me!!!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:You think that they would have given Hernandez something to stand on in the above photo. The height disparity between him and the rest of the cast is really evident :D :lol: .
Ha! Good show, Fr. Paddy! :higgins: