Diversity

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Diversity

#1 Post by T.Q. »

Keep reading (Twitter and IMDb) how wonderful it is that Magnum PI is NOW finally ‘diverse’.

Now not to insult the progressives here, but people obsessed with ‘diversity’ (and counting faces these days) claiming the real Magnum, P.I. was not diverse?

Magnum - Okay white (heaven forbid).
Higgins - Older British man
Rick - Average white guy
T.C. - Black guy
Tanaka - Asian guy
Michelle - 1/2 Asian woman
Carol - Woman
Etc.

Not to mention the million Hawaiians that appeared in the show.

Drives me crazy how people go back in time 35 years when America was 90% white people and try to spin some sort of racial plot against the world.

Applying 2018 ‘standards’ to the 1980s is a fool’s errand IMHO.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Diversity

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote:Keep reading (Twitter and IMDb) how wonderful it is that Magnum PI is NOW finally ‘diverse’.

Now not to insult the progressives here, but people obsessed with ‘diversity’ (and counting faces these days) claiming the real Magnum, P.I. was not diverse?

Rick - Average white guy
T.C. - Black guy
Tanaka - Asian guy
Carol - Woman
Etc.

Drives me crazy how people go back in time 35 years when America was 90% white people and try to spin some sort of racial plot against the world.

I agree totally.

One of the things that always impressed me about the show was the easy relationship between Thomas and T.C. It was obvious T.C. was his closest friend, he was there to help Thomas during the most important times, but they never made a big thing out of T.C. being black. He was just T.C., and Thomas best friend. No one hitting you over the head, no cring-worthy "buddy-buddy white man/black man" message moments, just two men who experienced horrors together and formed a bond of trust and respect. You believed these characters were indeed close friends.

Now Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV, an obviously Celtic name is hispanic? And Lenkov went out of his way to cast a "non-caucasian"? The keeping score is crazy. I agree, it's Hawaii, there should be a very Polynesian/Asian aspect, and for the most part the series did a good job with that. Just like a show based in Miami should have a heavy Cuban influence. But otherwise, how about we just cast the best actors for the role?

Like Shiggins . . . it undermines the relationship Thomas and Jonathan had by changing both the gender and the age. Even if they wanted to change things up with a female for Shiggins, a Judi Dench/Helen Mirren type cold warrior would at least bring a bit of authority and a possible maternal aspect to replace the Magnum/Higgins father/son dynamic.

Edit - OK, maybe those 2 ladies would be a little TOO old, but Kristin Scott Thomas or Miranda Richardson . . . heck Naomi Watts is 50! Hillerman was 48 when Magnum began so theoretically Rachel Weisz would work as well. Perdita Weeks seems like a nice enough person, and I don't blamce the actors for taking the opportunity . . .

It gets me so riled up how Lenkov, a supposed huge fan of the series, doesn't understand what made it tick.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by T.Q. »

Yep. Well said.

Never even thought in those terms in the 80s.

Now it seems if you say you “don’t see race” you’re somehow... wait for it... racist?

WHAT the HECK? Who came up with that one? LOL

:P

Anyways, if they were determined from the outset to do the diversity at all costs, if anything, they should have made the new Magnum Hawaiian. That actually would have been cool. A statuesque Duke Kahanamoku type.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

The New York Times has already blasted the show and network for not having any Asian actors in the leads! Do they not realize that Hawaii is a part of The United States of America?? Oh, I remember now! The NYTimes hates America! :evil:

The whole point of the original was that the 4 main characters weren't natives. They were in Hawaii where they had no connections to anybody except each other because they weren't ready to return to a so-called "normal" civilian life. I can't say if that's true of the new one since I didn't watch, but they will probably do some variation of that theme.
Last edited by MagnumsLeftShoulder on Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Reef monkey »

ConchRepublican wrote: One of the things that always impressed me about the show was the easy relationship between Thomas and T.C. It was obvious T.C. was his closest friend, he was there to help Thomas during the most important times, but they never made a big thing out of T.C. being black. He was just T.C., and Thomas best friend. No one hitting you over the head, no cring-worthy "buddy-buddy white man/black man" message moments, just two men who experienced horrors together and formed a bond of trust and respect. You believed these characters were indeed close friends.
Yup, not to mention, they made TC the most level-headed, responsible, dependable of the three. Thomas was irresponsible with money, a mooch, etc., Rick was a hothead, a bit of a schlemiel at times, and owed a certain degree of his success to underworld connections. TC, on the other hand, was a successful independent businessman, volunteered with kids, and a completely dependable friend, who also at least had the sense to try to say no to some of Thomas and Rick's more harebrained ideas.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#6 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote:Keep reading (Twitter and IMDb) how wonderful it is that Magnum PI is NOW finally ‘diverse’.

Rick - Average white guy
T.C. - Black guy
Tanaka - Asian guy
Carol - Woman
Etc.

Just a correction in terms of data. :) The US census shows shows the non-Hispanic white population in 1980 at 79.57%.

http://www.censusscope.org/us/chart_race.html

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#7 Post by ConchRepublican »

Reef monkey wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote: One of the things that always impressed me about the show was the easy relationship between Thomas and T.C. It was obvious T.C. was his closest friend, he was there to help Thomas during the most important times, but they never made a big thing out of T.C. being black. He was just T.C., and Thomas best friend. No one hitting you over the head, no cring-worthy "buddy-buddy white man/black man" message moments, just two men who experienced horrors together and formed a bond of trust and respect. You believed these characters were indeed close friends.
Yup, not to mention, they made TC the most level-headed, responsible, dependable of the three. Thomas was irresponsible with money, a mooch, etc., Rick was a hothead, a bit of a schlemiel at times, and owed a certain degree of his success to underworld connections. TC, on the other hand, was a successful independent businessman, volunteered with kids, and a completely dependable friend, who also at least had the sense to try to say no to some of Thomas and Rick's more harebrained ideas.
Not to mention the most cultured with his love/appreciation of photography, ballet, theater ... I mean, that white jacket in No Need to Know is fantastic!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by T.Q. »

Pahonu wrote:

Rick - Average white guy
T.C. - Black guy
Tanaka - Asian guy
Carol - Woman
Etc.

Just a correction in terms of data. :) The US census shows shows the non-Hispanic white population in 1980 at 79.57%.

Gotcha. I’m Canadian so maybe the 90% off the top my head was Canada.

So 80%.

Thomas
Rick
Higgins
T.C.

Perfect!

Turns out Magnum, P.I. was pretty much bang on in the diversity category afterall! :lol:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#9 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote:
Pahonu wrote:

Rick - Average white guy
T.C. - Black guy
Tanaka - Asian guy
Carol - Woman
Etc.

Gotcha. I’m Canadian so maybe the 90% off the top my head was Canada.

So 80%.

Thomas
Rick
Higgins
T.C.

Perfect!

Turns out Magnum, P.I. was pretty much bang on in the diversity category afterall! :lol:
My parents were Canadian. :)

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Reef monkey wrote:
I always thought TC was a great character. I didn't even think of racial BS at that time. I just thought he was a great guy. In Canada, in the 1980's, there were very few black people here. Unlike the US, Canada had no history of black slavery, so basically the only black people here were descendants of escaped slaves from the US - which Canadians had helped across the border to safety. (see Underground Railroad). (In fact, I never even saw a black person in real life until I was in high school - and the solitary black guy I saw was an exchange student from New York.)

Unfortunately - according to "behind the scenes" accounts, the character of TC wasn't similar to the reality of how Roger Mosley felt. I've read that Roger Mosley almost got fired because he was so paranoid about the crew being "racist" against him. He didn't like Hawaii because there weren't many black people there. I was so disappointed when I read that because I thought he was the perfect example of how black people can easily get along with white people. Now I see that it was fiction all along.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by T.Q. »

Reef monkey wrote: Yup, not to mention, they made TC the most level-headed, responsible, dependable of the three. Thomas was irresponsible with money, a mooch, etc., Rick was a hothead, a bit of a schlemiel at times, and owed a certain degree of his success to underworld connections. TC, on the other hand, was a successful independent businessman, volunteered with kids, and a completely dependable friend, who also at least had the sense to try to say no to some of Thomas and Rick's more harebrained ideas.
Great comment.

Yep, last go through of the series I even commented to my wife how much more I love T.C. everytime I rewatch.

Maybe as I get older and more of a ‘Mature Mature Adult’ I relate more and more to him for those reasons.

Still like being a big kid though. :wink:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by T.Q. »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:always thought TC was a great character. I didn't even think of racial BS at that time. I just thought he was a great guy. In Canada, in the 1980's, there were very few black people here. Unlike the US, Canada had no history of black slavery, so basically the only black people here were descendants of escaped slaves from the US - which Canadians had helped across the border to safety. (see Underground Railroad). (In fact, I never even saw a black person in real life until I was in high school - and the solitary black guy I saw was an exchange student from New York.
Off topic - This is big factor why I hate the identity politics stuff so much. Black Canadians really have a beef? Black Lives Matter Toronto? Really? Canada’s always been exceptional in that regard. I grew up in Toronto so had black, Filipino, Sikh, etc. friends. So hate people who kinda make the racism stuff up as they go.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Kevster »

T.Q. wrote:Yep. Well said.

Now it seems if you say you “don’t see race” you’re somehow... wait for it... racist?

Anyways, if they were determined from the outset to do the diversity at all costs, if anything, they should have made the new Magnum Hawaiian. That actually would have been cool. A statuesque Duke Kahanamoku type.
My first experience with racism was in 1973-1974, in Kindergarten. I couldn't understand why a white kid was disrespectful to the black kid. Did not make sense... I had never witnessed it, and it did not mesh with my world view. There was no reason to disrespect anyone, and why was race / color a factor?

I guess in 2018 that means I was a racist. Race didn't matter to me then, and it doesn't matter today. However, by 2018 standards, I must have been a racist...

And... No rants... ;-)
Trust Me!!!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

T.Q. wrote: Black Canadians really have a beef? Black Lives Matter Toronto? Really? Canada’s always been exceptional in that regard.
Off topic, but I'll briefly comment (before getting attacked)... I think the new black Canadians either don't know the history of Canada or they think they're in the USA and don't know the difference. If they knew the history, they'd be thanking their fellow Canadians for setting up the Underground Railroad and helping the escaping black slaves. Unfortunately, they're too easily manipulated by external forces to hate white people (Why??? Canada had NO slavery!) and create racial tensions.
Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by T.Q. »

Kevster wrote:
T.Q. wrote:Yep. Well said.

My first experience with racism was in 1973-1974, in Kindergarten. I couldn't understand why a white kid was disrespectful to the black kid. Did not make sense... I had never witnessed it, and it did not mesh with my world view. There was no reason to disrespect anyone, and why was race / color a factor?

I guess in 2018 that means I was a racist. Race didn't matter to me then, and it doesn't matter today. However, by 2018 standards, I must have been a racist...

And... No rants... ;-)
Correct!

Was explained to me if that if you say don’t see race then you’re not recognizing their struggles against racism and this makes you racist or some silliness like that. We have to acknowledge they are victims. How about we just treat everyone equally in the here and now.

Anyways, growing up spending a month a year in Hawai’i (and wishing I were Polynesian) and now living in a predominantly Black Country (so for real most of my friends are black) I feel safe about speaking out against all the identity politics going on these days. 8)