So . . .

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

So . . .

#1 Post by ConchRepublican »

My wife wouldn't let me near my phone or laptop last night during the premiere. Just to be safe . . .

I will admit that as it got closer to 9:00 PM I got more and more angry. Irrational? Perhaps, but I did. I couldn't believe they were really doing this. By the time 9:00 PM rolled around I was on martini #2 are sufficiently prepared for what was to come.

Or so I thought.

It was what I expected, but more. Martini #3 was needed.

There was no reason to call this show Magnum PI except for name recognition because aside from the names, no one was familiar. The show was just hollow. Is it a disgrace to the original? No, it shows just how good the original was by being SO bad. I wish I had a more detailed analysis but it's been covered. What made Magnum, P.I. great were the characters and their relationship. I mean who is Shiggins? Is she one of the guys? Is she an antagonist? Is she a love interest? Rick? He looks like he lives under a bridge. T.C.? Wow. Possibly worse casting than even Jay Hernandez. He does not come across like a confident independent business man who is Thomas' most trusted friend.

If I need to sum up my review:

It's what I'd guess sex with a hooker would be like - an over the top show lacking any real depth, emotion or connection.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re: So . . .

#2 Post by eagle »

I've been likening it to "The Italian Job" -- but in that case both movies were good. With the 2003 movie of that name, it shared few items in common with the original: a scene set in Italy (beginning of the movie in 2003, end of the 1960s version), Minis, and a heist. Other than that, the 2 movies share little if anything.

Same is true here - the character names are the same, but the characters are unrecognizable to us. Robin Masters still owns Ferraris, but the show's producers literally destroyed what could have been a nod to fans of the original show. It's almost as if they wanted to spit in the face of fans of the original show, or at the very least to demonstrate that they were making a full break from it.

Other than sharing character names, RM being an author and owning Ferraris, and the show being set in Hawaii, I'm not sure what real similarities there are here.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by T.Q. »

ConchRepublican wrote:My wife wouldn't let me near my phone or laptop last night during the premiere. Just to be safe . . .

I will admit that as it got closer to 9:00 PM I got more and more angry. Irrational? Perhaps, but I did. I couldn't believe they were really doing this. By the time 9:00 PM rolled around I was on martini #2 are sufficiently prepared for what was to come.

Or so I thought.

It was what I expected, but more. Martini #3 was needed.

There was no reason to call this show Magnum PI except for name recognition because aside from the names, no one was familiar. The show was just hollow. Is it a disgrace to the original? No, it shows just how good the original was by being SO bad. I wish I had a more detailed analysis but it's been covered. What made Magnum, P.I. great were the characters and their relationship. I mean who is Shiggins? Is she one of the guys? Is she an antagonist? Is she a love interest? Rick? He looks like he lives under a bridge. T.C.? Wow. Possibly worse casting than even Jay Hernandez. He does not come across like a confident independent business man who is Thomas' most trusted friend.

If I need to sum up my review:

It's what I'd guess sex with a hooker would be like - an over the top show lacking any real depth, emotion or connection.
Been waiting for your post.

Rough night then? :P

One poster nailed it and said ‘nothing was earned’...

I agree. I said last night they tried to smash 8 years of character development into 40 minutes.

Worst thing about it?

I’m in recovery so I couldn’t even drown my sorrows with martinis like you got to! :lol:

Yeah, I thought it was pretty bad.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Chris109 »

I saw 5 seconds of it. Couldn't bear to bring myself to watch any more than that. Unfortunately, it will be touted as the 'hit of the new season'. Or 'new hit of the season'. Or 'new of the hit season'. Or 'season of the new hit'. Or...
At least it wasn't claimed to be the 'new hit that everyone's talking about' like Supergirl. They made that claim even before the premiere was shown. That show ended up on the CW halfway thru it's first season, I believe.

Hawaii84
Captain

#5 Post by Hawaii84 »

He can't act. Dogs were the best part.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by K Hale »

Hawaii84 wrote:He can't act. Dogs were the best part.
I didn't watch, but rumor has it the show included them pooping in the guest house. True?
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Chris109 »

K Hale wrote:
I didn't watch, but rumor has it the show included them pooping in the guest house. True?

Actually, it was peeing in the corner after a few Old Düsseldorfs.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by K Hale »

Chris109 wrote:
K Hale wrote:

Seriously?
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Hawaii84
Captain

#9 Post by Hawaii84 »

K Hale wrote:
True.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by eagle »

K Hale wrote:
Chris109 wrote:
K Hale wrote:I didn't watch, but rumor has it the show included them pooping in the guest house. True?
Seriously?
No, they pooped in the guest house. I agree with another commenter that the lads would not have done that.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by K Hale »

Hawaii84 wrote:
K Hale wrote:
True.
Gross and stupid for the sake of gross and stupid. Lowest common denominator.

What's next? Fart jokes?
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Chris109 »

At first I thought the pooping was a joke. Probably would have been funny if it was Old Düsseldorf .

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by eagle »

K Hale wrote:Gross and stupid for the sake of gross and stupid. Lowest common denominator.

What's next? Fart jokes?
Yes, gross and stupid.

Well, they already made the jokes about white meat. There were a few "heh" moments, but I was not amused by the show.

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Lily »

Here is another one who will not be watching. Really tried to keep an open mind but thought the re-boot was absolutely awful and is the third re-boot Lenkov has totally screwed up.

Think Conch was right when he said there was no reason to call this new show Magnum.

midnightx
Commander

#15 Post by midnightx »

I did not watch, but I am happy to hear the remake is getting universally trashed. Hopefully it gets cancelled.

A remake could have been intriguing had it been done tastefully with appropriate casting, but the network went with a formula that included all of the expected 2018 cliches, and it will probably pay the price. Good riddance.