For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

A question for MagnumILWU

#1 Post by Reef monkey »

MagnumILWU,

Just in the last ~12 hours you said:
MagnumILWU wrote:It was not bad! If all you are going to do is compare to the 80's series, than there is no need to watch it, or nitpick every little thing! This is a new show, not the old one, most everything is going to be different! There is only one Magnum, but that doesn't mean this show has to be bad! It did make me think of the old show, which made me smile, with all the happy memories of that show! If you can just sit back, and watch the show, just for the fun of it, knowing the original as well as you do, might even make you enjoy this new version a little more! I'm going to watch it again at 9 pm my time, and see if I can notice any other little things, that bring back warm memories of Magnum, P.I.!
However, back in 2012, you said:
MagnumILWU wrote:I, for one, do not like the idea of a new Magnum, PI TV show or movie! I watched the show from the beginning. And re-runs hundreds of times! I have a couple of VHS tapes from original broadcasts on CBS! The show cannot be copied or replaced! I believe anything would be a disappointment, and not stand-up to the original! Tom Selleck is Thomas Magnum, John Hillerman is Jonathan Quayle Higgins III, Larry Manetti is Rick Wright, and Roger E Mosley is TC! They cannot be replaced! Poor Agatha and Mac are gone! Lt Tanaka, Ice Pick, Carol Baldwin, this is my Magnum,PI, and there is no way to improve it, or do it again! It was/is a once in a lifetime experience, that I will always treasure!
So what do you think made the difference for you? Had your feelings already changed slowly over the past 6 years, or was it knowing that the show was actually going to be a reality that changed your mind, or did you have to see the first show to have a change of heart?
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850