The Washington Post DESTROYS the reboot

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

The Washington Post DESTROYS the reboot

#1 Post by ConchRepublican »

youtu.be/cmhsMZFCIYU

OK, maybe I didn't feel THIS good when I read this review.

But it was closer than I'm happy to admit.

"your pilot episode is an uninspired slop of cornball action and opening misfires. You are strewn with too many characters (that original sense of camaraderie now gives off a smarmy whiff of the bromantic) and preoccupied with checking off a long to-do list. Things are made worse by Hernandez’s ceaseless voice-over narration, which fails to explain much.

You are not good at the thing you’re trying to be, New Magnum, and instead of resurrecting a feeling, you’ve run right over it with that bright red Ferrari. Instead of declaring a creative or timely purpose (like your network friend and fellow exhumee, “Murphy Brown”), you are merely a piece of content placed between commercials."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... ssion=true
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Washington Post DESTROYS the reboot

#2 Post by KingKC »

I guess we will all be able to form our own opinions later tonight, won't we?...I think the article will prove to be spot on.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by 308GUY »

"you are merely a piece of content placed between commercials."

This describes 99% of "commercial" television for me. IOW...there's very few things on these days (of those MADE these days) that is worth spending the time in front of the one eyed monster for.

Our house was part of the Nielson reviews a couple years ago...sent me the little book within instructions and when and where to send it back when completed....I tried...I really did...but it ended up sort of "incomplete" with a note letting them know I have a very hard time watching much "commercial television" anymore, because it was mostly COMMERCIALS! They used to explain having to air commercials because that's what helped bring the shows into existence AND into your living rooms...but NOW....now we have cable (which we have to pay dearly for) or satellite (same deal) but there are more commercials than at any other time in history of television. Yea...I know...just subscribe to the "Premium" channels...which only airs commercials for their own products.....and guess what...it costs EXTRA to subscribe!

Ok....going back under my rock now. :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

ConchRepublican wrote: You are not good at the thing you’re trying to be, New Magnum, and instead of resurrecting a feeling, you’ve run right over it with that bright red Ferrari
The problem is that Lenkov/CBS isn't trying to be the new Magnum... this is merely their new cash cow. They know full well that H50, regardless of its popularity, is nearing the end of its run at 9 seasons. And MacGyver is.... well, MacGyver. :roll:

So that bright red Ferrari, a young female Higgins, and the "smarmy whiff of the bromantic" will bring over all the H50 fans. Ka-ching ka-ching ka-ching.

And if I hear Lenkov & the cast say "homage" one more time I'm gonna puke.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

More reviews are hitting the Internet now and most I've read are not thrilled with it. "Meh" best sums it up. Not horrible... just "meh".

I'm not surprised at all to find several less than stellar comments about Jay Hernandez in the role. Duh.

I was really bummed to read this though, because I thought Zach Knighton as Rick was going to be good... "Mr. Knighton, the most engaging performer, is playing a version of Scott Caan's querulous sidekick from Five-0." :shock: (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/23/arts ... andez.html)

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Stelth »

Crash and burn, lame imitators.

wilko
Captain

#7 Post by wilko »

Actually this is a good description of the full episode :roll:
ConchRepublican wrote:
"your pilot episode is an uninspired slop of cornball action and opening misfires. You are strewn with too many characters (that original sense of camaraderie now gives off a smarmy whiff of the bromantic) and preoccupied with checking off a long to-do list. Things are made worse by Hernandez’s ceaseless voice-over narration, which fails to explain much.

You are not good at the thing you’re trying to be, New Magnum, and instead of resurrecting a feeling, you’ve run right over it with that bright red Ferrari. Instead of declaring a creative or timely purpose (like your network friend and fellow exhumee, “Murphy Brown”), you are merely a piece of content placed between commercials."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... ssion=true

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Chris109 »

I thought WaPo only trashed anything having to do with conservatives. Any involved in the reboot?