Season 1 Episode 3: The Woman Who Never Died (1.3)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
6%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
6%
7.5 (Decent)
18%
7.0 (Average at Best)
6%
6.5 (Not So Good)
12%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
18%
5.0 (Just Awful)
18%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
18%

Total votes: 17

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 3: The Woman Who Never Died (1.3)

#46 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

KENJI wrote:I'm calling Chinaman's Hat an egg in disguise or part of an egg in that it's their estate's version of Rabbit Island.
This is the kind of stuff that I hate with this modern-day CGI junk! If Chinaman's Hat really is out there and can be seen from the back of the estate then that's fine (in fact that's great!!) but if it's not then don't copy and paste it in. That's just lame!!! I don't need that kind of an "easter egg" - no thanks! I want to see REAL places, not composites of real places mixed with CGI and cut-paste. I know for a fact that you can't see Chinaman's Hat from Kailua so either they're CGI'ing it in there or they're filming at some other place closer to Chinaman's Hat.

As for the front gate this is what it really looks like: https://www.google.com/maps/place/51+Ka ... 157.743876
You can see there's another house to the right of the gate and if you turn the map around to face the other way (away from the gate) you will see that whole street is lined with houses. But on the show as Hernandez pulls up to the gate in his Ferrari this whole street/road doesn't have a single house on it, just green vegetation on both sides and mountains in the background. I can't imagine this whole road is CGI'd.

And as I mentioned the rear of the estate on the show looks nothing like the actual place at 51 Kaikea. Again, I have a hard time imagining that all of this is CGI.

jeffran
Captain

#47 Post by jeffran »

eagle wrote:
jeffran wrote:I guess I'm out at this point, although not on purpose. I looked at the clock last night, and it was 9:30P: "Oops, I forgot to watch Magnum PI."
You can watch on cbs.com, like I did tonight.
Oh sure, there are other options. But I can't get interested enough in the show to bother.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by eagle »

jeffran wrote:
eagle wrote:
jeffran wrote:I guess I'm out at this point, although not on purpose. I looked at the clock last night, and it was 9:30P: "Oops, I forgot to watch Magnum PI."
You can watch on cbs.com, like I did tonight.
Oh sure, there are other options. But I can't get interested enough in the show to bother.
I don't blame you.

I'm of 2 minds about this. It's so bad that I almost want to keep watching to see how the train wreck ends. Or maybe I just return to my regularly scheduled viewing of Real Magnum, Hunter, Law & Order, and other shows.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by ENSHealy »

I believe these figures may have been already mentioned in this or the ratings thread, but:

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily ... ct-8-2018/

It appears about 6 million people watched it....and only 11 have voted on it here. So...not that this will shock anyone, but:

1. It probably does not matter what we think; and
2. I doubt Lenkov has anyone on his staff following these threads for tips.

Sorry for the hump day downer.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Gatchaman
Lieutenant Commander

#50 Post by Gatchaman »

Watching these three episodes makes me appreciate how awesome the original is. I've been recording those episodes on Starz since last fall and am glad I have those to go to.

When I first heard about the reboot, I was furious because I--like most of us I assume--wanted a continuation like they have done with Will & Grace and Murphy Brown, NOT a reboot. They must have figured if it worked for Hawaii Five-O then it could work for Magnum. But Magnum, unlike HFO, has a very passionate fanbase dedicated to the original. But, if Tom Selleck himself gave it his blessing, who am I not to try?

So I did, and after three episodes, I just cannot watch it anymore. Not only is it not good, but it makes me want that continuation series/movie/whatever even more. It's frustrating. It's not working. I don't know if the producers have complained about fans comparing it to the original and not giving it a chance on its own merits. But if they have, if they wanted that, they shouldn't it have made a reboot. Butchering the theme song just to have it somewhere was the beginning of the end, and that was a few minutes into the first episode. The voice overs are bad. The forced relationships between actors and characters that don't have it is way too obvious. But I know I'm preaching to the choir. The two bright spots for me are the lads and--quite surprisingly--Ms. Higgins. But those aren't enough to carry it for me.

So, I have to agree with Jonathan Higgins here that this should be the fate of this new show. It probably was from the moment the idea was conceived.

Commander of G-Force
Magnum's Secret Weapon

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by ENSHealy »

These are the images in which I thought the mountains and estate looked CGI. Chinaman's hat, I'm not sure.

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by ENSHealy »

For what it's worth, those screen grabs are from youtube using Windows Snipping Tool, so the quality is not good. To me at least, it appeared more obvious watching it live. I have a 1080p Samsung LED flat screen using over-the-air digital antenna.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by T.Q. »

eagle wrote:I'm of 2 minds about this. It's so bad that I almost want to keep watching to see how the train wreck ends. Or maybe I just return to my regularly scheduled viewing of Real Magnum, Hunter, Law & Order, and other shows.
Yeah, the train wreck theory...

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

ENSHealy wrote:These are the images in which I thought the mountains and estate looked CGI. Chinaman's hat, I'm not sure.

I'm not sure how they do it but am I to assume that those are some sort of CGI plates behind the actors? Wouldn't this require the actors to act in front of a blue screen (or is it green screen?) so that the fake background can then be inserted into the scene? Also, even if the estate itself is CGI'd in (or pasted in) I wonder which estate that is... because it's not the estate at Kaikea Pl. Is it some other estate or is not real at all and created entirely on a computer from scratch? Modern-day filming gives me a headache!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Hi guys :D

The background toward Chinaman's Hat is real. The filming location for those shoreline scenes is in my post here: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3608

The view of the "estate" is all CGI... the palm trees... everything is fake. I'm not sure where they got the house(s) they plopped there which make up the estate, but I do know the background is the Kualoa Ranch mountains. The other day I saw a split screen pic of the estate view with the mountains in the background, and the pic next to it was the actual Kualoa range they used, but I can't find that pic right now.

Riverratsbu 26
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#56 Post by Riverratsbu 26 »

[/quote] I'm of 2 minds about this. It's so bad that I almost want to keep watching to see how the train wreck ends. Or maybe I just return to my regularly scheduled viewing of Real Magnum, Hunter, Law & Order, and other shows.[/quote]

Eagle;
I have the same opinion. Its almost like "lets see what they screw up next" and "How long will this show last"? The other nights, Ken Jeong as Gumshoe Luther H. Gillis was the topper so far for me. Nick Mancuso or Stacey Keach would have been a perfect selection for this character. So once again they missed the ball.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by ENSHealy »

What bothered me most about Luther is that he's now an island based p.i. that apparently Magnum has a regular poker game with, instead of a visitor from the mainland. So just using the name means nothing. If you want a regular whose from the islands, give him a different name and save Luther for when a mainland gumshoe is needed in a plot.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

The view of the "estate" is all CGI... the palm trees... everything is fake.
If it's all fake, what is the point of filming in Hawaii? Just film it on a lot in L.A. and call it something else!!!! :roll:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by Steve »

ENSHealy wrote:What bothered me most about Luther is that he's now an island based p.i. that apparently Magnum has a regular poker game with, instead of a visitor from the mainland. So just using the name means nothing. If you want a regular whose from the islands, give him a different name and save Luther for when a mainland gumshoe is needed in a plot.
I agree, plus he just seems mean...........

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Hi guys :D

The background toward Chinaman's Hat is real. The filming location for those shoreline scenes is in my post here: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3608

The view of the "estate" is all CGI... the palm trees... everything is fake. I'm not sure where they got the house(s) they plopped there which make up the estate, but I do know the background is the Kualoa Ranch mountains. The other day I saw a split screen pic of the estate view with the mountains in the background, and the pic next to it was the actual Kualoa range they used, but I can't find that pic right now.
OK, I found it... note the mountain range profile. The bottom one was taken at Kualoa Ranch...