Season 1 Episode 3: The Woman Who Never Died (1.3)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
6%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
6%
7.5 (Decent)
18%
7.0 (Average at Best)
6%
6.5 (Not So Good)
12%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
18%
5.0 (Just Awful)
18%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
18%

Total votes: 17

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 3: The Woman Who Never Died (1.3)

#31 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

jeffran wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Not her fault but Higgins comes across unkempt to me, quite the opposite of our Higgins. Maybe that's intentional... Magnum shaves & oils his chest now and Higgins is the slob?
Women can be slobs too YOU SEXIST MONSTER!! ;)

I think perhaps that's what they're getting at, in a very heavy-handed way.
Haha, good one jeffran! They're overdoing the dissimilarities a bit then I guess. Heck, our Higgins rarely (if ever?) had a hair out of place, even when "jogging"!

jeffran wrote:I guess I'm out at this point, although not on purpose. I looked at the clock last night, and it was 9:30P: "Oops, I forgot to watch Magnum PI."
I did the exact same thing last week, and remembered at 9:15. I guess that tells you something.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Not her fault but Higgins comes across unkempt to me, quite the opposite of our Higgins. Maybe that's intentional... Magnum shaves & oils his chest now and Higgins is the slob?
Amian wrote:I didn't think she was a slob at all. What specifically made you think this?
I actually said she appears unkempt, and the word slob is in reference to the original Magnum. Anyway, to answer your question here's what comes to mind about her being unkempt...

Rembrandt's Girl wrote: As I've said to a few members, I'm compelled to continue watching because I don't want to miss out on anything MPI related, but watching it makes me sad. There was such potential to do something great to continue the legacy... but this definitely isn't it.
Amian wrote:Probably not worth the trouble, then. Life's too short. Watch stuff you enjoy! Though if you think the show will be canceled soon, I suppose your level of schadenfraude will go up the more you watch.
I didn't say anything about it being cancelled soon (?)... I've actually said this is Lenkov's new cash cow. I don't believe schadenfraude is an accurate way to describe my feelings, even if it is cancelled. But what I do believe is that even though your barb was directed at me, you've just insulted about 99% of the members commenting on the reboot. :shock:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Steve »

Uh oh, RG posting that picture of Juliette has made me realize why I like the show, probably even more than I let on here. I love you Julette Higgins, I love your British accent, your unkempt, Magnum of the eighties type look wherein you can throw on a pair of tight jeans, any type of top you deem comfortable and hair that looks windblown but you still look sexy as all get out! You can be casual or in a black cocktail dress, you can kick ass when needed, I never feel you will lose any situation little M gets you into and, you are an athlete and a scholar! I look forward to meeting your illegitimate half sisters in the future......My apologies in these hashtag times for my politically incorrect rant and I still love all the members well thought out and many times hilarious criticisms......

Get out of my head Lenkov! You found something that would hook me on the show and I am all in so far :oops:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by T.Q. »

Steve wrote:Uh oh, RG posting that picture of Juliette has made me realize why I like the show, probably even more than I let on here. I love you Julette Higgins, I love your British accent, your unkempt, Magnum of the eighties type look wherein you can throw on a pair of tight jeans, any type of top you deem comfortable and hair that looks windblown but you still look sexy as all get out! You can be casual or in a black cocktail dress, you can kick ass when needed, I never feel you will lose any situation little M gets you into and, you are an athlete and a scholar! I look forward to meeting your illegitimate half sisters in the future......My apologies in these hashtag times for my politically incorrect rant and I still love all the members well thought out and many times hilarious criticisms......

Get out of my head Lenkov! You found something that would hook me on the show and I am all in so far :oops:

:P
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Amian wrote:I didn't think she was a slob at all. What specifically made you think this?
I actually said she appears unkempt, and the word slob is in reference to the original Magnum. Anyway, to answer your question here's what comes to mind about her being unkempt...

Hey RG, I hadn't thought of Shiggins looking unkempt but now that you posted that pic I see what you mean. That blouse/shirt looks like something cheap from a thrift store, plus it looks like someone took it and wringed it out real good until it got really wrinkly. Could have used some ironing. Is there also a bottom button missing, perhaps to expose her belly button? I agree - this would not fly with dear old Jonathan.

Amian
Admiral

#36 Post by Amian »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I actually said she appears unkempt, and the word slob is in reference to the original Magnum. Anyway, to answer your question here's what comes to mind about her being unkempt...
Whoops, thought your "slob" comment was about current Higgins since you said that Magnum now shaves and oils his chest in the same sentence. Slob sounds harsher than unkempt, which is why I responded. I'll agree with the unkempt... it's a nice look for Juliette.
Amian wrote:Probably not worth the trouble, then. Life's too short. Watch stuff you enjoy! Though if you think the show will be canceled soon, I suppose your level of schadenfraude will go up the more you watch.
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I didn't say anything about it being cancelled soon (?)... I've actually said this is Lenkov's new cash cow. I don't believe schadenfraude is an accurate way to describe my feelings, even if it is cancelled. But what I do believe is that even though your barb was directed at me, you've just insulted about 99% of the members commenting on the reboot. :shock:
You may be right about the new MPI becoming a cash cow, though I've seen a number of posts (not yours) wagering the show is doomed (or at least hoping that'll be the case). My fault for assuming that of you, I'm sorry.

But that wasn't intended as a barb when I suggested not watching a show that makes you feel sad. I mean it... we should all spend our precious time with things we like whenever we can.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Amian wrote:But that wasn't intended as a barb when I suggested not watching a show that makes you feel sad. I mean it... we should all spend our precious time with things we like whenever we can.
The offending comment to everyone was "Though if you think the show will be canceled soon, I suppose your level of schadenfraude will go up the more you watch."

But I'll take the apology, thank you Amian. :D

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Steve wrote:Uh oh, RG posting that picture of Juliette has made me realize why I like the show, probably even more than I let on here. I love you Julette Higgins, I love your British accent, your unkempt, Magnum of the eighties type look wherein you can throw on a pair of tight jeans, any type of top you deem comfortable and hair that looks windblown but you still look sexy as all get out! You can be casual or in a black cocktail dress, you can kick ass when needed, I never feel you will lose any situation little M gets you into and, you are an athlete and a scholar! I look forward to meeting your illegitimate half sisters in the future......My apologies in these hashtag times for my politically incorrect rant and I still love all the members well thought out and many times hilarious criticisms......
Haha, you crack me up, Steve! Yes, she's a cutie, and any time you want me to post a pic of her, well you just let me know.

Am I correct that this might be an accurate representation of the Mrs. while you're watching the reboot?

Amian
Admiral

#39 Post by Amian »

Amian wrote:But that wasn't intended as a barb when I suggested not watching a show that makes you feel sad. I mean it... we should all spend our precious time with things we like whenever we can.
Rembrandt's Girl wrote: The offending comment to everyone was "Though if you think the show will be canceled soon, I suppose your level of schadenfraude will go up the more you watch."

But I'll take the apology, thank you Amian. :D
Ah, that was my convoluted logic... If you are watching a show you don't like, then there must be some sort of other enjoyment you get from it. Hate watching, basically. So, if you put a bunch of time and energy into watching something you don't like, then I would think that seeing your (not "yours," but the general your) opinions validated might make the hate watching worth it. On the other hand, not having the show to make fun of might be a bummer... I think I've confused myself now. Hope that helped!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Steve »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Haha, you crack me up, Steve! Yes, she's a cutie, and any time you want me to post a pic of her, well you just let me know.

Am I correct that this might be an accurate representation of the Mrs. while you're watching the reboot?

Spot on!!!!You sure did nail my wife, the only difference she is a couple of years older and doesn't even acknowledge my like of either show any longer.....I do see that eye rolling an awful lot when she sees me approaching with a twinkle in my eyes ready to say something I find hilariously charming and......she doesn't..LOL

Hawaii84
Captain

#41 Post by Hawaii84 »

Hawaii84 wrote:The show is just bad. Again, Jay can't act and the forced introduction of characters is just awful....we're 3 episodes in and we already have Nuzo come and gone and a Luther H. Gillis. Thought....if they were going to go with a female Higgins, how about a Dame Judi Dench type.
Also, the production value is sub-par.....in one scene from Monday, I think it was where he was getting a file from Rick, he is sans team ring, then he's wearing the ring, then he's sans ring, then he's wearing the ring......HOW CAN YOU FORGET TO WEAR THE RING!!!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by KingKC »

Hawaii84 wrote:
Hawaii84 wrote:The show is just bad. Again, Jay can't act and the forced introduction of characters is just awful....we're 3 episodes in and we already have Nuzo come and gone and a Luther H. Gillis. Thought....if they were going to go with a female Higgins, how about a Dame Judi Dench type.
Also, the production value is sub-par.....in one scene from Monday, I think it was where he was getting a file from Rick, he is sans team ring, then he's wearing the ring, then he's sans ring, then he's wearing the ring......HOW CAN YOU FORGET TO WEAR THE RING!!!
I think I will keep watching just to see how long it takes before the rubber chicken and the gorilla mask make an appearance.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by eagle »

wilko wrote:Also, does Higgins do any thing at the estate besides solve Magnum's cases for him? She is like his sidekick.
I wonder that too. But it brings me back to the point I have made about the previous two episodes: why are Rick & TC even characters in this series? Their parts are so minor that I don't even understand their reason for being.

Other comments:
* the voiceovers in this episode weren't as bad as previous ones
* the writing is just terrible, as evidenced by phrases like "don't judge" and "man crush"
* the casting of Luther H Gillis was horrible

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by eagle »

jeffran wrote:I guess I'm out at this point, although not on purpose. I looked at the clock last night, and it was 9:30P: "Oops, I forgot to watch Magnum PI."
You can watch on cbs.com, like I did tonight.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#45 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

T.Q. wrote:

:P
Nonsense! Everyone loves a bit of posh.
Faith and Begorrah!