Season 1 Episode 3: The Woman Who Never Died (1.3)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
6%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
6%
7.5 (Decent)
18%
7.0 (Average at Best)
6%
6.5 (Not So Good)
12%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
18%
5.0 (Just Awful)
18%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
18%

Total votes: 17

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 3: The Woman Who Never Died (1.3)

#16 Post by T.Q. »

ENSHealy wrote:JUST. FUCKING. AWFUL.

I assume we all caught the Pahonu reference. But the estate seems to be missing a sea wall to keep the turtles in....I suppose Lenkov sees it as a tribute. One of his many, many misjudgements.

The "betrayal" conversation with Rick was torturous.

And I'd forgotten how horrible watching TV with commercials is.

I said I'd give it four episodes. It's going to be tough to keep my word.
I didn’t mind the fish episode.

This was horrid.

I cringed at that comedy actor when he said Luther H. Gillis.

I cringed at the forced ‘tension’ between Magmun and Higgins too.

I cringed when I said “Oh, here it comes... Magmun is going to hit a drive and break a window and have Higgins scream ‘Magnum’”... And there it was!

Ironically, I originally thought them making Higgins a younger woman was the most dumb of all the ideas... turns out I think she’s the ONLY bright spot about the show.

And what was with RE-INTRODUCING the cast in the beginning. In episode 3? That was bizarre.

Anyways... yuck.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I'm not sure why some here say Shiggins is the only bright spot in the show. She is NOT! It was a dumb idea when they announced that Higgins would be a chick and it still is. She's done NOTHING to convince me otherwise. She's playing her part EXACTLY as I expected it, hence it's a fail for me.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Steve »

Wow, I am still in but that could have been better. The OG Luther H. Gillis was my favorite recurring character from the show but if this is what they have planned for the new one, ouch. I am thinking that the historic book on Pahonu was an easter egg replacement to what would have been a huge faux pas if they had done the original idea of placing it at the front gate (anyone else think they are using this site and facebook for research). I am intrigued on the story behind "Hannah" they keep teasing...(Is the name supposed to be a tribute to Tom by utilizing his daughters name?)

By the way, to you golfers out there that have been using the wrong footwear all these years and want to hit the ball 300 yards, wear flip flops or wedgies....

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by KENJI »

Steve wrote:Wow, I am still in but that could have been better. The OG Luther H. Gillis was my favorite recurring character from the show but if this is what they have planned for the new one, ouch. I am thinking that the historic book on Pahonu was an easter egg replacement to what would have been a huge faux pas if they had done the original idea of placing it at the front gate (anyone else think they are using this site and facebook for research). I am intrigued on the story behind "Hannah" they keep teasing...(Is the name supposed to be a tribute to Tom by utilizing his daughters name?)

By the way, to you golfers out there that have been using the wrong footwear all these years and want to hit the ball 300 yards, wear flip flops or wedgies....
I agree with you Steve, Luther was not good at all -terrible in fact. I'm sure they are tuning into our comments regarding research etc.. I'm okay with the Pahonu historic book - nice and subtle and not in your face like if it was on the front gate column. I'm guessing they are not liking our reviews of the show though! I'm calling Chinaman's Hat an egg in disguise or part of an egg in that it's their estate's version of Rabbit Island. I would be very surprised if the name Hannah isn't a tribute to Tom.......I wonder if they asked him how he felt about it before the show started. I'm sure at some point Hannah will surface, but they will keep building up this storyline some more before the big reveal.

I was rolling my eyes :roll: with the two golf swing scenes -bad form and footwear! They could've sold it better with them putting on a green.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by KingKC »

The disaster I see brewing is the sexual tension between Magnum and Higgins. Just about every other private eye show with a male and female co-lead has played on this theme, so maybe that was the reason for a female Higgins. I now think the show could be tolerable unless that occurs.

Gatchaman
Lieutenant Commander

#21 Post by Gatchaman »

I must be losing my mind, but the scene where Higgins kicks the soccer ball and then says she needs a ride...wasn't that from last week's episode? I admit I was dozing while I was watching it, but I swear I saw that whole scene before.
Commander of G-Force
Magnum's Secret Weapon

karolis
Admiral

#22 Post by karolis »

Gatchaman wrote:I must be losing my mind, but the scene where Higgins kicks the soccer ball and then says she needs a ride...wasn't that from last week's episode? I admit I was dozing while I was watching it, but I swear I saw that whole scene before.
You must have seen a Sneak Peek from the episode. It wasn't from the previous one.

Gatchaman
Lieutenant Commander

#23 Post by Gatchaman »

karolis wrote:
Gatchaman wrote:I must be losing my mind, but the scene where Higgins kicks the soccer ball and then says she needs a ride...wasn't that from last week's episode? I admit I was dozing while I was watching it, but I swear I saw that whole scene before.
You must have seen a Sneak Peek from the episode. It wasn't from the previous one.
Ah. Ok, thanks.
Commander of G-Force
Magnum's Secret Weapon

Hawaii84
Captain

#24 Post by Hawaii84 »

The show is just bad. Again, Jay can't act and the forced introduction of characters is just awful....we're 3 episodes in and we already have Nuzo come and gone and a Luther H. Gillis. Thought....if they were going to go with a female Higgins, how about a Dame Judi Dench type.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I would be very surprised if the name Hannah isn't a tribute to Tom
As a daughter, I find that creepy and weird. I hope it's just a coincidence.

wilko
Captain

#26 Post by wilko »

That's a good call. Right now the Higgins/Magnum tension/romance thing is (as others have said) cringe worthy.

Also, does Higgins do any thing at the estate besides solve Magnum's cases for him? She is like his sidekick.
Hawaii84 wrote:The show is just bad. Again, Jay can't act and the forced introduction of characters is just awful....we're 3 episodes in and we already have Nuzo come and gone and a Luther H. Gillis. Thought....if they were going to go with a female Higgins, how about a Dame Judi Dench type.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Not her fault but Higgins comes across unkempt to me, quite the opposite of our Higgins. Maybe that's intentional... Magnum shaves & oils his chest now and Higgins is the slob?

In addition to what I've said from day one about Jay Hernandez being wrongly cast as Magnum, I can now add that he just plain can't act. And as Father Paddy said, he's wallpaper paste. Well no, actually I think wallpaper paste has more charisma.

What came to mind when I was watching last night's episode is that this was on par with a high school play. That's what it felt like to me.

As I've said to a few members, I'm compelled to continue watching because I don't want to miss out on anything MPI related, but watching it makes me sad. There was such potential to do something great to continue the legacy... but this definitely isn't it.

Swing & a miss, Mr. Lenkov.

jeffran
Captain

#28 Post by jeffran »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Not her fault but Higgins comes across unkempt to me, quite the opposite of our Higgins. Maybe that's intentional... Magnum shaves & oils his chest now and Higgins is the slob?
Women can be slobs too YOU SEXIST MONSTER!! ;)

I think perhaps that's what they're getting at, in a very heavy-handed way.

jeffran
Captain

#29 Post by jeffran »

I guess I'm out at this point, although not on purpose. I looked at the clock last night, and it was 9:30P: "Oops, I forgot to watch Magnum PI."

Amian
Admiral

#30 Post by Amian »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Not her fault but Higgins comes across unkempt to me, quite the opposite of our Higgins. Maybe that's intentional... Magnum shaves & oils his chest now and Higgins is the slob?
I didn't think she was a slob at all. What specifically made you think this?
Rembrandt's Girl wrote: As I've said to a few members, I'm compelled to continue watching because I don't want to miss out on anything MPI related, but watching it makes me sad. There was such potential to do something great to continue the legacy... but this definitely isn't it.

Swing & a miss, Mr. Lenkov.
Probably not worth the trouble, then. Life's too short. Watch stuff you enjoy! Though if you think the show will be canceled soon, I suppose your level of schadenfraude will go up the more you watch.

Overall, was pretty disappointed with the pilot, but the last two episodes were better. Still wish the idea for making Lily the new Magnum, P.I. had panned out...