Where’s the Aloha ?

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Roger Be Aloha
Ensign

Where’s the Aloha ?

#1 Post by Roger Be Aloha »

Lots of Aloha on network television with two shows based in Hawaii this season. All Magnum PI fans (past and present) are Ohana. Wendie Burbridge in the Honolulu Star Advertiser shows us the way to think about the reboot in the Star's Magnum Reloaded:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/category/ ... -reloaded/

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: Where’s the Aloha ?

#2 Post by T.Q. »

Roger Be Aloha wrote:Lots of Aloha on network television with two shows based in Hawaii this season. All Magnum PI fans (past and present) are Ohana. Wendie Burbridge in the Honolulu Star Advertiser shows us the way to think about the reboot in the Star's Magnum Reloaded:

I threw up a little in my mouth reading that article.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

NotthatRick
Admiral

#3 Post by NotthatRick »

T.Q. wrote:
Roger Be Aloha wrote:Lots of Aloha on network television with two shows based in Hawaii this season. All Magnum PI fans (past and present) are Ohana. Wendie Burbridge in the Honolulu Star Advertiser shows us the way to think about the reboot in the Star's Magnum Reloaded:

Yes sir. Me too!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Roger Be Aloha,
The author Wendie Burbridge might be a bit suspect in her support of the new Magnum series. Her bosses would certainly frown on any negative article
as another tv series being filmed in the islands is a huge boost across the whole economy, which includes potential advertisers for their newspaper.
She also writes - for her paper - two blog sites dedicated to the new Magnum and Hawaii 5-0.
She is no Dorothy Parker either, not a speck of wit brightens her article and if you are looking for insightful keep looking.
However she did invent a new word, 'modernly':

"The Higgins character has been modernly updated"

She should show us the way to think, Roger? Like the now distaff Miss Higgins can hold her own in a fist fight? I do not want to see a woman
in a fist fight with a man, it would be brutal and appeal only to cretins. If you don't let the heroine employ some sort of tricky martial arts
to magically take out the man in one blow, how is she supposed to realistically take a punch from a Artie Canoe? How would it look on screen
if a hulking bad guy gave her a one two combination?
Uncle Luther Gillis did take out Agatha in one punch, but that was meant to be funny.
I guess if you turn the whole thing into a comic book version of Classic Magnum, you can have Miss Higgins square off with a Mike Tyson.
Which is why it will fail.
Welcome to Magnum Mania, Roger. I hope you will be a regular contributor to these Boards.
I also know that the closer we get to the new Magnum series
being on air, the more likely we are going to see a influx of shills telling us how great the new version is.
And when the new Magnum disappears from the schedule, the shills will be gone from here too.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote:

Thank you for the heads up, I'll take a pass on the read and potential for mouth vomit.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by KingKC »

LAME!!!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by T.Q. »

ConchRepublican wrote:
T.Q. wrote:

Thank you for the heads up, I'll take a pass on the read and potential for mouth vomit.
Basically lecturing us that we should shut up and love it.

You didn’t miss anything.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Except that it won't fail. It will do fine the ratings. Most people who will watch it won't have watched the original and they won't care about our comparisons and complaints. :cry:

rasgards
Rear Admiral

#9 Post by rasgards »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Roger Be Aloha,
The author Wendie Burbridge might be a bit suspect in her support of the new Magnum series. Her bosses would certainly frown on any negative article
as another tv series being filmed in the islands is a huge boost across the whole economy, which includes potential advertisers for their newspaper.
She also writes - for her paper - two blog sites dedicated to the new Magnum and Hawaii 5-0.
She is no Dorothy Parker either, not a speck of wit brightens her article and if you are looking for insightful keep looking.
However she did invent a new word, 'modernly':

"The Higgins character has been modernly updated"

She should show us the way to think, Roger? Like the now distaff Miss Higgins can hold her own in a fist fight? I do not want to see a woman
in a fist fight with a man, it would be brutal and appeal only to cretins. If you don't let the heroine employ some sort of tricky martial arts
to magically take out the man in one blow, how is she supposed to realistically take a punch from a Artie Canoe? How would it look on screen
if a hulking bad guy gave her a one two combination?
Uncle Luther Gillis did take out Agatha in one punch, but that was meant to be funny.
I guess if you turn the whole thing into a comic book version of Classic Magnum, you can have Miss Higgins square off with a Mike Tyson.
Welcome to Magnum Mania, Roger. I hope you will be a regular contributor to these Boards.
I also know that the closer we get to the new Magnum series
being on air, the more likely we are going to see a influx of shills telling us how great the new version is.
And when the new Magnum disappears from the schedule, the shills will be gone from here too.
Thoughtful retort! ha
Ras G

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
Except that it won't fail. It will do fine the ratings. Most people who will watch it won't have watched the original and they won't care about our comparisons and complaints. :cry:
If the new Five-Zero is any indication then unfortunately it might not fail. Heck even the new MacGyver (which doesn't even have the draw of the Hawaii locales) which is also created by Peter Lenkov is still on the air and is about to start its third season already. Lenkov is definitely king of the reboots right now and inexplicably his shows are doing just fine, or at least not getting cancelled for some reason. I thought maybe Five-Zero's success was a one-trick pony (having to do with the beautiful Hawaiian scenery in HD) but apparently not.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Kevster »

I know that the quality of current television is being discussed elsewhere, but it is appropriate to note my opinion here.

If a movie is #1 on it's debut weekend, it is the best of THAT weekend. If it wins with $10M or $100M, it speaks a lot to its appeal.

The reason some of these shows are hanging around may be because of RELATIVE QUALITY rather than objective quality. I know it's tough to measure the success of a show now vs. the past. There are more options today, a bigger pie, and entertainment that can't be objectively measured. etc. However, if people want to escape watching TV, they will typically watch the better quality option.

Of course, the TV graveyard is filled with great shows that never caught on. Quality is not the only catalyst to a show's success.
Trust Me!!!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by T.Q. »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
If the new Five-Zero is any indication then unfortunately it might not fail. Heck even the new MacGyver (which doesn't even have the draw of the Hawaii locales) which is also created by Peter Lenkov is still on the air and is about to start its third season already. Lenkov is definitely king of the reboots right now and inexplicably his shows are doing just fine, or at least not getting cancelled for some reason. I thought maybe Five-Zero's success was a one-trick pony (having to do with the beautiful Hawaiian scenery in HD) but apparently not.
The new MacGyver is so bad... Still around.

What about Scorpion. Recently cancelled but lasted a while. I used to mock my wife for liking it. It was so lame and cheesy yet there was a backlash when it was cancelled. TV has been so dumbed down (to cater to the equally dumbed down populace) that the most stupid shows are often super popular.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Magnumsleftshoulder,
I hate to say it but you are right. I guess I just didn't want to face that truth. So de-nial ain't just a river in Egypt, and de-spair isn't just a tire in the trunk
but our future reaction when the Magnum junior pilot airs. After Magnum junior is a hit - along with their Hawaii 5-0 success - the producers will have so much
juice at CBS the Bosses will give them 60 Minutes to update.
Larry the Cable Guy will be the new Mike Wallace, throw in the Magnum junior like Justin Bieber and since the attention span of the new target audience is limited
it will be reworked as Six Minutes.

Joan Hacket: How many sheep do you have?
Fernando Lamas: I don't know. I try to count them but I always fall asleep.
Run For Your Life

Rands
Rear Admiral

#14 Post by Rands »

I have two quick points. First, I'm glad to hear that the Maniacs are having some effect in regards to the reboot. Her comment about Tom Selleck being the only Magnum, shows that someone other than the members are reading the Mania forum. Second, MOUTH VOMITING, IS NOW AUTHORIZED!

Amian
Admiral

#15 Post by Amian »

The new MacGyver is so bad... Still around.

What about Scorpion. Recently cancelled but lasted a while. I used to mock my wife for liking it. It was so lame and cheesy yet there was a backlash when it was cancelled. TV has been so dumbed down (to cater to the equally dumbed down populace) that the most stupid shows are often super popular.
From what I can tell, TV is enjoying quite the moment. I think that "peak TV" is the phrase I keep seeing. The sheer quantity is massive, especially compared to when there were only a few broadcast stations. But the quality of numerous series is also really high. I wouldn't say that TV is dumbed down now (it's always had its dumb shows), but the number of bad shows is up even if the relative percentage of bad shows might be down. Of course, bad/good is subjective. Scorpion has fans, and so does Bachelor in Paradise or MacGyver, because people like them. Some prestige shows might be good, but not enjoyable for many.