I went to the ComicCon SD 2018 Magnum screening...(SPOILERS)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

beerhappy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I went to the ComicCon SD 2018 Magnum screening...(SPOILERS)

#1 Post by beerhappy »

Hey guys!

Well I went to Comic Con San Diego a couple weeks ago. One of the panels I had on my list was the Magnum reboot screening. Now, I thought I could just breeze into the panel because I thought, who really wants to watch this? The line was insane, all the way outside the Convention!!! Luckily, I barely got in.

I am a long time Magnum fan, and tried to go into this with a clean slate. Well they played the first episode of the reboot. (Spoilers!) Okay at first it was okay. They stuck to most of the basics, they all wore the Cross Of Lorraine ring. Magnum still drives a Ferrari, the Lads are present, and Magnum still talks to himself. However Higgins is now a pretty lady, and this really puts a strain on the whole atmosphere of the reboot. (I'll explain in a bit) Rick no longer works at the club, he works as a mechanic at a chop shop apparently. When they cast the TC character they missed the mark completely, he is not the muscular, health conscience guy we remember. The new guy has quite the gut, but he still runs Island Hoppers. Magnum, well he is a small guy now and really lacks the overall charisma.

The reboot episode was pretty standard, they kidnap Magnums friend. Magnum finds the friend dead later, and the team comes together to find the killers. The Ferrari, well at first Magnum is driving around a newer black Ferrari. But it gets destroyed in gunfire. So Magnum asks Higgins for a new car, they have an awkward discussion at the garage where Robbin has his luxury cars. Higgins then lets him take a car and he picks the old 1980's Ferrari, the crowd goes nuts as he revs it up and takes off. Well in the end that Ferrari is destroyed in the most asinine action sequence, it was so ridiculous the audience laughed. Then we now have the undertones of a romance between Magnum and Higgins as they talk on the phone..the end.

Now the actors, producer and directer parade out. The interviewer asks them easy questions, but one came up that irked me. He asked how familiar the actors where with the series. The only actor that followed the older series was the actor who played Rick. Jay H. who portrays Magnum admitted to watching only one episode. The interviewer also asked if they were planning a romantic relationship between Magnum and Higgins. The answer was yes...I had to restrain myself from walking out of the panel at that instant. They also mentioned that a crossover with Hawaii five O will occur. Well then it was time for the audience questions, so I got in line of at least 50 people, they fielded only 3 peoples questions! No hard questions except for a veteran, questioning why they are making vets look like warmongers in this reboot. Well they expertly dodged this question by not directly answering and then asking everyone to stand up and show respect for the guy who asked the question..he did not look amused lol

This show is pretty much directed towards the millennial audience, it does have the frame work of the original series but they messed up the original formula...Oh and if you guys want me to post some of the crazy costumes I saw at Comic Con let me know 8)

Last edited by beerhappy on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rasgards
Rear Admiral

Re: I went to the ComicCon SD 2018 Magnum screening...(SPOIL

#2 Post by rasgards »

Only one episode?!!! Higgins and Magnum romance?!!! Very sad indeed.
Ras G

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

The interviewer also asked if they were planning a romantic relationship between Magnum and Higgins. The answer was yes
Wow! They admitted that before the first episode even airs??
No hard questions except for a veteran, questioning why they are making vets look like warmongers in this reboot.
Good question from a veteran. Can you elaborate on how they made them look like warmongers?

I'm not planning to watch the show, but I am curious what the reaction to a reboot will be.

beerhappy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#4 Post by beerhappy »

"Wow! They admitted that before the first episode even airs??

Eric Guggenheim, the writer said during the panel, "it is to be expected".

"Can you elaborate on how they made them look like warmongers?"

Well the vet actually said he was disappointed by the military actions in the episode, and they told him something about having a couple advisers looked over this. The veteran was probably set off by all the gun play in that episode.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I forgot to ask the most important question. What was the audience reaction to the pilot?

beerhappy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#6 Post by beerhappy »

"I forgot to ask the most important question. What was the audience reaction to the pilot?"

The audience loved it. And here is the deal, at Comic Con people will stand in line for any panel pretty much..regardless of the content. Most were there not for the Magnum reboot, but for Jay Hernandez.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by perfectlykevin »

I'm cool with a young woman playing the part of our JQH. Not what I would do, but hey, I'l can live with it. Now, that is where it ends for me. Why do they think it is ok to have the part now be a woman (again, ok with that part) but ALWAYS insist that the woman be a romantic interest?? I mean, come on!! Why can't she just be a thorn in the side, and occasionally praise Magnum? Why does a woman always have to be bedded by a man?

In this day and age, can't we have a strong woman lead who doesn't have to be a notch in the bedpost too??

beerhappy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#8 Post by beerhappy »

"I'm cool with a young woman playing the part of our JQH. Not what I would do, but hey, I'l can live with it. Now, that is where it ends for me. Why do they think it is ok to have the part now be a woman (again, ok with that part) but ALWAYS insist that the woman be a romantic interest?? I mean, come on!! Why can't she just be a thorn in the side, and occasionally praise Magnum? Why does a woman always have to be bedded by a man?

In this day and age, can't we have a strong woman lead who doesn't have to be a notch in the bedpost too??"

The problem I have with this is that they are messing with a very successful formula. Okay let me explain. It is like having a Golden Girls reboot with Dorthy being a younger man.Or if the Charmed reboot all of a sudden had a guy in the trio. The move to have a women replace a male Higgins is simply pandering to a millennial audience. Sex and drama from the sex are pretty much standard to most shows these days.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

beerhappy wrote:Higgins then lets him take a car and he picks the old 1980's Ferrari, the crowd goes nuts as he revs it up and takes off. Well in the end that Ferrari is destroyed in the most asinine action sequence, it was so ridiculous the audience laughed.
So I guess that means that this ridiculous action scene is not a fantasy or dream sequence, but actually part of the show?

What a joke.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#10 Post by ConchRepublican »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
beerhappy wrote:Higgins then lets him take a car and he picks the old 1980's Ferrari, the crowd goes nuts as he revs it up and takes off. Well in the end that Ferrari is destroyed in the most asinine action sequence, it was so ridiculous the audience laughed.
So I guess that means that this ridiculous action scene is not a fantasy or dream sequence, but actually part of the show?

What a joke.

Indeed
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

beerhappy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#11 Post by beerhappy »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Mad Kudu Buck wrote:

What a joke.

Indeed

Yes...the truck is plummeting off the cliff...and (sigh), Magnum runs off the top of the truck, and somehow jumps 15 feet up to catch the landing bar on TC's helicopter...

karolis
Admiral

#12 Post by karolis »

beerhappy wrote:Rick no longer works at the club, he works as a mechanic at a chop shop apparently.
It's contradicts what's written on shows official CBS site:
and Orville "Rick" Wright, a former Marine door-gunner-turned-impresario of Oahu's coolest nightclub and the most connected man on the island.
Source: https://www.cbs.com/shows/magnum-pi/about/

beerhappy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#13 Post by beerhappy »

karolis wrote:
beerhappy wrote:Rick no longer works at the club, he works as a mechanic at a chop shop apparently.
It's contradicts what's written on shows official CBS site:
and Orville "Rick" Wright, a former Marine door-gunner-turned-impresario of Oahu's coolest nightclub and the most connected man on the island.
Source: https://www.cbs.com/shows/magnum-pi/about/

I only watched the first episode. And in most his scenes he is what appears to be in a chop shop. And he also appears to be conducting his business there. So I assumed he was a mechanic running a high end garage. (because he also appeared to be very wealthy) The other episodes will ferret out his night club occupation I assume.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#14 Post by Doc Ibold »

beerhappy wrote: The interviewer also asked if they were planning a romantic relationship between Magnum and Higgins. The answer was yes...I had to restrain myself from walking out of the panel at that instant.
And with that, I’m out from watching this.

I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt, even though I hate reboots. But the writers and producers had one job. One bleeping job. Do not ever have chemistry between Magnum and Shiggins. No romance. Nada. Let them be adversaries, then begrudging respect, then true friendship. Easy peasy.

It’s not hard at all people, but that tells me about the tired writing that will follow. Such an easy trope to seize and they pounced it like the lads chasing Magnum.

An Irate Doc

beerhappy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#15 Post by beerhappy »

Doc Ibold wrote:
beerhappy wrote: The interviewer also asked if they were planning a romantic relationship between Magnum and Higgins. The answer was yes...I had to restrain myself from walking out of the panel at that instant.

And with that, I’m out from watching this.

I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt, even though I hate reboots. But the writers and producers had one job. One bleeping job. Do not ever have chemistry between Magnum and Shiggins. No romance. Nada. Let them be adversaries, then begrudging respect, then true friendship. Easy peasy.

It’s not hard at all people, but that tells me about the tired writing that will follow. Such an easy trope to seize and they pounced it like the lads chasing Magnum.

An Irate Doc

Well now, this is how I interpreted the panel. The complete panel is now online at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO0eI_Ub-jA

You can judge for yourself how this plays out...and the lads still chase magnum :)