Anyone Change of Heart?

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Anyone Change of Heart?

#1 Post by T.Q. »

Curious if any posters who 100% said they refuse to watch when new series was announced have had a change of heart since then.

I’m still wishy-washy.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Re: Anyone Change of Heart?

#2 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Nope. Started seeing a ton of promos for it on regular TV and they annoy me. It feels like sacrilege.

jholtzinger8354
Ensign

#3 Post by jholtzinger8354 »

Nope!

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by perfectlykevin »

Yep, I went from not liking the trailer, thinking no way I'll watch it to having curiosity about it. I will watch and see how it goes. I was the same way back in the day with StarTrek TNG. I love the original series as a kid and hated TNG. I slowly watches and liked the character development. I ended up becoming a fan. I usually do that with new things, with change, but I think that is a normal response to change. :)

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Stelth »

I dislike the reboot even more after seeing previews. I am rooting for a quick cancellation.

NotthatRick
Admiral

#6 Post by NotthatRick »

Stelth wrote:I dislike the reboot even more after seeing previews. I am rooting for a quick cancellation.
Hopefully a very quick cancellation!!!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KingKC »

I am still voting for early demise.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by T.Q. »

T.Q. wrote:Curious if any posters who 100% said they refuse to watch when new series was announced have had a change of heart since then.

I’m still wishy-washy.
BTW:

By ‘wishy-washy’ I meant watching the pilot.

I’m still anti-reboot anti-MiniMag and agree with most that I don’t want it to succeed.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by K Hale »

Screw this reboot. I have been trying hard to "let people enjoy things" because I try to make that my philosophy. But after reading beerhappy's post about the Comic Con panel... screw this reboot.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#10 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote:Curious if any posters who 100% said they refuse to watch when new series was announced have had a change of heart since then.

I’m still wishy-washy.
I'm trying to pretend it's not happening, but my wife, ever the rational voice of reason said I can't comment on it without seeing it. I HATE the idea of tuning in, but she has a point. If I am going to continue to guest on Aberle's show and be "the Magnum, PI guy" I need to be educated on the subject . . . even the, ugh, reboot. Not saying I'm going to tune in yet, but not having a Nielsen box makes it easier . . .

That said, I can't wait to read reviews torching the reboot and it being cancelled in 3 weeks.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Steve »

I have been one of those that has a wait and see attitude and look on the project as a stand alone show and not a remake of the original. Having said that, I am losing patience after seeing the picture posted of the front gate of the new Robin's Nest with a Pahonu sign. If Lenkov and many of the cast are such fans of the original how could they do this and does Lenkov even know that the word means turtle enclosure!!!!! I have not seen any indications the the new estate has a tidal pool ..............

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by perfectlykevin »

Steve wrote:I have been one of those that has a wait and see attitude and look on the project as a stand alone show and not a remake of the original. Having said that, I am losing patience after seeing the picture posted of the front gate of the new Robin's Nest with a Pahonu sign. If Lenkov and many of the cast are such fans of the original how could they do this and does Lenkov even know that the word means turtle enclosure!!!!! I have not seen any indications the the new estate has a tidal pool ..............

Maybe the tidal pool will be CGI :shock:

Vxc961
Lieutenant

#13 Post by Vxc961 »

Yup, count me in the change of heart category. I’m looking forward to it. All the criticisms so far are not out of line, but I love MPI, want more MPI, and I think the show has to appeal to the millennial audience somehow.

I am anticipating that the first season will be tolerable, and then I hope it gets picked up and can stand on its own.

Pilot episodes are almost always clunky and horrible, and most of my favorite shows didn’t get really good until later seasons.

midnightx
Commander

#14 Post by midnightx »

I will not be tuning in. I saw the trailer and it was nauseating; every cliche associated with contemporary network television was present. Slow-motion action scenes with vehicles flying in the air and characters firing weapons while keeping balance as they go off a cliff; the new petite, female Higgins weighing barely 100 pounds taking out 2-3 oversized men with lightning speed precision; politically-correct, diversity casting across the board; etc.

Hopefully it is cancelled quickly, but if the horrid remake of Hawaii 5-0 can make it this long, sadly Magnum might as well.

Some shows simply should not be remade. Are the networks going to do a reboot of Seinfeld next? Like Seinfeld, the Magnum characters, particularly Magnum (Tom Selleck) and Higgins (John Hillerman) cannot be replaced or revived, just like no one can play Kramer or George. Sometimes, an original franchise should remain untouched and continue to be celebrated for what it was.

Programming on the three traditional networks typically aims at the lowest-common denominator and this is no different. There is a reason why the best new television is typically on cable channels and streaming platforms.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#15 Post by ConchRepublican »

midnightx wrote:I will not be tuning in. I saw the trailer and it was nauseating; every cliche associated with contemporary network television was present. Slow-motion action scenes with vehicles flying in the air and characters firing weapons while keeping balance as they go off a cliff; the new petite, female Higgins weighing barely 100 pounds taking out 2-3 oversized men with lightning speed precision; politically-correct, diversity casting across the board; etc.

Hopefully it is cancelled quickly, but if the horrid remake of Hawaii 5-0 can make it this long, sadly Magnum might as well.

Some shows simply should not be remade. Are the networks going to do a reboot of Seinfeld next? Like Seinfeld, the Magnum characters, particularly Magnum (Tom Selleck) and Higgins (John Hillerman) cannot be replaced or revived, just like no one can play Kramer or George. Sometimes, an original franchise should remain untouched and continue to be celebrated for what it was.

Programming on the three traditional networks typically aims at the lowest-common denominator and this is no different. There is a reason why the best new television is typically on cable channels and streaming platforms.

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04