Anyone Change of Heart?

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

Re: Anyone Change of Heart?

#31 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

My wife calls it “Mini-Mag” in honor of the new lead.
Faith and Begorrah!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Danno »

Fandom in general is getting pretty toxic these days and I'd hate to see Magnum Maniacs getting themselves upset about the new series.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan but Star Wars fans are all so crazy/bitter about something. It seems the same with other things.

There's more important things to do. Go for a jog. Have a beer with friends. Watch your original Magnum PI DVDs!
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

midnightx
Commander

#33 Post by midnightx »

Kevster wrote: So, I figure that by Season Two, maybe they will have realized that superficial TV will not create a broad-based, loyal, and passionate fan base.
That line of reasoning did not work with Hawaii 5-0. Several years later, the atrocious superficial reboot is still on the air.

9NExtUpT
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#34 Post by 9NExtUpT »

I would be willing to give the new show a *chance*, but only if it clearly paid respect to the original cast and crew -- a portrait of John Hillerman on Ms. Higgins' wall, a cameo with Tom Selleck taking on the role of Buck Greene or voicing Robin Masters, things like that. Otherwise, the show would just be spitting on the original.

That being said, I don't have high hopes. Perhaps I'm overly suspicious, but the demolition of Pahonu, so soon after the passing of John Hillerman, makes me wonder if someone might be jumping on the opportunity to erase the past in favor of their new vision, much like how we've been force-fed changes in the Star Trek and Star Wars franchises.

I'm especially curious to learn what the socio-political views are of those in charge, namely whether they're part of the recent movement to demonize masculinity.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ConchRepublican wrote:
T.Q. wrote:Curious if any posters who 100% said they refuse to watch when new series was announced have had a change of heart since then.

I’m still wishy-washy.
I'm trying to pretend it's not happening, but my wife, ever the rational voice of reason said I can't comment on it without seeing it. I HATE the idea of tuning in, but she has a point. If I am going to continue to guest on Aberle's show and be "the Magnum, PI guy" I need to be educated on the subject . . . even the, ugh, reboot. Not saying I'm going to tune in yet, but not having a Nielsen box makes it easier . . .
That said, I can't wait to read reviews torching the reboot and it being cancelled in 3 weeks.
Hi Conch,
I post on a Route 66 Board, and believe me many members there rue the fact they decided to shun the Route 66 reboot by NBC in 1993. As you noted above,
they missed out on all the fun of 'scorching' it plus as dedicated Magnum Mania type fans, they had denied themselves being up on every aspect of the Route 66 scene.
The casting doomed it, toyboys Dan Cortese and James Wilder lacked any sort of gravitas - or just plain manliness - that would cause the people they
met on the road to turn to them to help solve their problems.
Like the Magnum reboot, it focused on a hot sports car, babes and attractive leads. The writing that was rich with literary allusions and themes and searing looks into the human condition in the original was replaced with the two hairless youths poolside deriding a swimmer because he had body hair, ewww gag me with a spoon, dude. It was written for and aimed at teenagers and MTV followers.
Not unlike the new Magnum that's aimed at teen Fanboys who make the mindless Hollywood action flicks such hits. The 'new' Route 66 lasted 4 episodes, what will be the over/under on how long the New Magnum will last?

Lucille: "Do you like me as a blonde"?
Tootie: "Like you? I don't think our marriage license covers it".
Car 54 Where Are You?

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I came back from O'ahu 2 weeks ago and one of the places I stopped by was the new Magnum estate at 51 Kaikea Place in Kailua. I obviously couldn't see much past the front gate but here's the full property in all its glory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EsIjc7JEkc

Supposed to be the largest beachfront estate available on the market right now!

By the way, I kayaked across those beautiful Kailua and Lanikai waters to the 2 Mokulua islands in the distance! Sorry, no surf ski was available :wink: Of course I also made sure to soak up a good 2 hours in the tidal pool at Robin's Nest - awesome experience!

9NExtUpT
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#37 Post by 9NExtUpT »

It's been posted before, either in this thread or others, how vacuous the stuff coming out of Hollywood has become, especially the re-makes. Sure, they have flashier special effects, but often times the shows fail at providing that special something that makes one feel for the characters. I wonder if this phenomenon of pretty-but-weak entertainment, in conjunction with the various scandals and society's growing mistrust of the media, will be what puts the final nail Hollywood's coffin. Perhaps the old saying about "voting" with one's dollars will finally prompt them to view us as customers who insist upon quality, rather than as cash-cows to be milked and fools to be fed opinions.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Steve »

WGN radio had a Hollywood Reporter critic on the other night and he said the show was a typical Justin Lin production, will tone down after the pilot but he still predicted fans of the original will probably not like it...........I am still in my watch and see mode..........