Anyone Change of Heart?

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re: Anyone Change of Heart?

#16 Post by Stelth »

I humbly suggest from this point on we refer to this dumpster fire of a reboot as "fake magnum".

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Danno »

I don't get why people are angry. Life is too short to be shitty about a show you're probably not even going to watch.

It's not like anyone has gone back in time to replace the original cast and reshoot the original series.

I don't even see it as a reboot. This Magnum is totally different.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by K Hale »

I don't get why I'm angry, myself.

But I am.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Steve-O
Commander

#19 Post by Steve-O »

Stelth wrote:I humbly suggest from this point on we refer to this dumpster fire of a reboot as "fake magnum".
Also worth consideration would be "Magnum PC". . . . as I read yesterday on some other site.

NotthatRick
Admiral

#20 Post by NotthatRick »

Steve-O wrote:
Stelth wrote:I humbly suggest from this point on we refer to this dumpster fire of a reboot as "fake magnum".
Also worth consideration would be "Magnum PC". . . . as I read yesterday on some other site.
That is funny!!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by KingKC »

AMEN!!!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#22 Post by ConchRepublican »

NotthatRick wrote:
Steve-O wrote:
That is funny!!
Fakenum, PC?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by 308GUY »

https://starcasm.net/wp-content/uploads ... rfing_.jpg

Magnum PSI

Didn't take the time to upload the photo, but the link should take you to it.

Si's probably as good a "substitute" for TS as anybody! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Gamer77
Lieutenant

#24 Post by Gamer77 »

No I haven't seen anything yet to change my mind. So why not take it further and change it to; 'Minimum p.i.'

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by T.Q. »

K Hale wrote:I don't get why I'm angry, myself.

But I am.
Same here.

I’m irrationally upset.

Half my brain says take a chill pill... then I start stewing over it again.

:|
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by eagle »

Steve wrote:I have been one of those that has a wait and see attitude and look on the project as a stand alone show and not a remake of the original. Having said that, I am losing patience after seeing the picture posted of the front gate of the new Robin's Nest with a Pahonu sign. If Lenkov and many of the cast are such fans of the original how could they do this and does Lenkov even know that the word means turtle enclosure!!!!! I have not seen any indications the the new estate has a tidal pool ..............
I had the same thought, and it bothers me too. The original series is set at the real-world Pahonu; it's not that Pahonu was from the show.

This same thing is also one of the reasons why I named my new house "Hala Kahiki" instead of "Pahonu."

---

Edit:

I don't know that I've had a change of heart, but I will watch the pilot. My expectations are very low at this point, especially after reading that there will be a romantic interest between Magnum and Higgins. As others have said, Selleck and Hillerman cannot be replaced, and their performances cannot be revived.

Those nicknames - Minumum pi, etc - are all very funny.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Kevster »

The pilot is not what I'm interested in watching... If anything, I'd like to see the premiere episode of the second season, presuming it makes it that far... Why? Because they seem to be inserting all the things that have me watching a very limited number of cable shows and movies. Episodic network TV has been dead to me for years. I don't want style over substance. Seriously, I NEVER even look at the local / network channels anymore. I've completely disregarded those channels when scanning the "dial."

So, I figure that by Season Two, maybe they will have realized that superficial TV will not create a broad-based, loyal, and passionate fan base.

I'll probably watch the premiere episode, and I'll probably watch a few more throughout the season to see if they are learning anything and evolving.

I've been watching Seasons 1 and 2 (thus far) on Encore again, and it's obvious that it took the cast and team a while to find their real mojo. Roger Mosley's characterization of TC did, for sure. However, by Memories are Forever, everything had started to come together with the entire cast. TC had more character and less overtones, and Hillerman's Higgins had incredible depth. By that point, I'd say that Hillerman was more comfortable with Higgins than Selleck was with Magnum. All shows take some time to get up to speed, however, they have to have the raw materials to begin with. If the original cast was the "clay," the production team turned them into fine china. What I've seen from the reboot so far indicates that they may be making a flower pot...
Trust Me!!!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by T.Q. »

eagle wrote:Edit:

I don't know that I've had a change of heart, but I will watch the pilot. My expectations are very low at this point, especially after reading that there will be a romantic interest between Magnum and Higgins. As others have said, Selleck and Hillerman cannot be replaced, and their performances cannot be revived.

Those nicknames - Minumum pi, etc - are all very funny.
Problem with the pilot? We’ve basically seen it in the trailers. What’s to add but some conversations?
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#29 Post by Majordomo »

*Forenote: In the spirit with which I wrote the following reply, please try and use Higgins voice as you read it. For whatever reason, that was the voice I had in my head as I wrote it.

I was pretty bitter about the reboot initially, then I saw how much of a fan Lenkov was to the original. I do not feel that he can make this show for our demographic and expect it to be successful. All of us here on MM know how special the original is. That is why we will watch it over and over. That is why we look for discrepancies and details and set information that other individuals would care nothing for. It is our way keeping the real Magnum alive.

The reboot is not going to give us many of these luxuries, at least not initially (maybe, their chemistry will meld the show into something more special than we have been able to glean from the previews and from the 1st episode). I count on there being some inside allusions and original MPI references for us in some of the episodes, but at the end of the day, if Lenkov wants to get this series out the door, as it were, he is going to have to cater to the masses (i.e. not us).

But maybe this reboot will attract a few that are more curious about the MPI universe. Maybe they will be cut from a similar cloth that we are. Maybe they will find a few episodes of the original MPI and fall in love with the original series. Maybe some of these new fans will have the motivation to write graphic novels about MPI or maybe an animated series that stays true to the original (a novel or two under the pen name of Robin Masters might be quite intriguing). And maybe not, but at least the reboot can potentially open these door. Either way, at least it is another venue into the thing that we all know and love.

When I try and look at it from Lenkov's perspective, I see what a predicament he is in. I can only speak for myself, but if I were given the opportunity to produce a Magnum reboot, and get paid for it, I would jump at it! Now when the execs come in and start telling me I have to do this and that and that I can't do what I would want, I would be infuriated. I would try to convince them otherwise, but they are the ones "signing the check". If they tell me that they want a "Fast & Furious MPI Reboot", then I would do it. Even knowing that the loyal die-hards, that I consider myself to be a part of mind you, would reject my work. I would still do it.

Given that scenario, there may be a few of us on here that would have the principle and the wherewithal to turn down the job and the opportunity based on the integrity of the original. I have no doubt about that. I just wanted to put it out there that it may not be against anyone's principles to give this little bit of entertainment the old Boxley try!

Now I must take my leave for the moment as it is now my lunch hour and Season 2 Episode 12 ("Ghost Writer") awaits...
"Don't hand me that wretched understatement. I was bloody marvelous."

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by KingKC »

Steve-O wrote:
How about Magnum - Lite??