Col. Buck Greene

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Core 4
Vice Admiral

Col. Buck Greene

#1 Post by Core 4 »

Peter posted new promo for Magnum P.I. Appeared new character played by James Remar. I wonder if he will play Col. Buck Greene.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

Re: Col. Buck Greene

#2 Post by Steve »

Core 4 wrote:Peter posted new promo for Magnum P.I. Appeared new character played by James Remar. I wonder if he will play Col. Buck Greene.

I bet you are correct........That guy has some acting chops going all the way back to the movie The Warriors in the seventies. He will make a good Buck Greene if you are right......

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Steve wrote:
Core 4 wrote:Peter posted new promo for Magnum P.I. Appeared new character played by James Remar. I wonder if he will play Col. Buck Greene.

I bet you are correct........That guy has some acting chops going all the way back to the movie The Warriors in the seventies. He will make a good Buck Greene if you are right......
That might be the problem, that a good actor like Remar will make such a intimidating Buck Greene that the new Magnum will seemingly shrink in comparison as he is no Tom Selleck in acting ability or in sheer size.
Part of the dynamic between the original Magnum/Greene was that despite Buck being a tough as nails veteran bright enough to become an intelligence officer, Magnum was Buck squared in those attributes.
If it came down to it the massive Selleck as Magnum could and would prevail in any sort of showdown with Buck and they both knew it(hence Buck always stacking the deck when dealing with TM).
The new Magnum won't bring that dimension.
It'd be like putting wee Tom Cruise in a Western up against John Wayne or Robert Mitchum or Randolph Scott or Tom Selleck, he'd look ridiculous.
Even if the Magnum reboot wasn't doomed by it being produced by the same clowns who ruined the new Hawaii 5-0, the miscasting of Magnum will, as has been noted many times before on the Magnum Mania boards.

How to talk Australian:
"It's flash as a rat with a gold tooth" "It's beer o'clock, time to cop it sweet" "Forget her, she's got kangaroos in the top paddock"
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#4 Post by ConchRepublican »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Steve wrote:

That might be the problem, that a good actor like Remar will make such a intimidating Buck Greene that the new Magnum will seemingly shrink in comparison as he is no Tom Selleck in acting ability or in sheer size.
Part of the dynamic between the original Magnum/Greene was that despite Buck being a tough as nails veteran bright enough to become an intelligence officer, Magnum was Buck squared in those attributes.
If it came down to it the massive Selleck as Magnum could and would prevail in any sort of showdown with Buck and they both knew it(hence Buck always stacking the deck when dealing with TM).
It'd be like putting wee Tom Cruise in a Western up against John Wayne or Robert Mitchum or Randolph Scott or Tm Selleck, he'd look ridiculous.
Even if the Magnum reboot wasn't doomed by it being produced by the same clowns who ruined the new Hawaii 5-0, the miscasting of Magnum will, as has been noted many times before on the Magnum Mania boards.

How to talk Australian:
"It's flash as a rat with a gold tooth" "It's beer o'clock, time to cop it sweet" "Forget her, she's got kangaroos in the top paddock"
^ - What he said.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#5 Post by Core 4 »

We have confirmation in new promo that Buck Greene will be in the pilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e40KqVCAGdk

rgholmes
Lieutenant Commander

#6 Post by rgholmes »

The name plate says "CAPT BUCK GREENE" so he's going to be a Navy O-6 instead of Marine. He's wearing an Information Warfare Device so he's in the intelligence community. Also he has a Defense Distinguished Service Ribbon and two awards of the Meritorius Service Medal.

The gold being slammed on his desk reminds me of the pilot with the plane full of gold shot down that CAPT Cooly was tied up with. The gold looks a little "crusty" so that's my guess.
"Because it's HOW you make the transitions that's as important as making them."
-T.S. Magnum IV, "Transitions"

Rands
Rear Admiral

#7 Post by Rands »

I for one, am glad to see the return of Buck Greene. While Magnum had numerous run ins with Buck, the character added a great deal to the Michelle story. Lance De Gault's depiction of Col. Greene provided much of the back story of Magnum's Vietnam service. While Buck Greene was a thorn in the flesh to almost everyone, Buck had a conscience, that often caused him to do the right thing.

In regards to James Remar being cast as Buck Greene, it looks like the supporting cast may add a great dimension to the reboot's production. I have enjoyed every big and small screen appearance that James has been in, and find him a fine actor. As for the new Buck Greene, I'm sure James can bring the character to life.

As to rgholmes comments concerning Buck's uniform, being Army, I'm not familiar with the Information Warfare Device. As for the Meritorious Service Medals, I can say by personal experience, they are not easily awarded. I know my two certainly weren't. Of course, the gold bar being slammed onto Capt. Greene's desk, may be reminiscent of Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii, and I certainly hope it is. It does give me some hope, that the script writers may have actually watched Magnum P.I., and plan to give MPI some thought when writing the episodes for the reboot.

rgholmes
Lieutenant Commander

#8 Post by rgholmes »

Rands wrote:I for one, am glad to see the return of Buck Greene. While Magnum had numerous run ins with Buck, the character added a great deal to the Michelle story. Lance De Gault's depiction of Col. Greene provided much of the back story of Magnum's Vietnam service. While Buck Greene was a thorn in the flesh to almost everyone, Buck had a conscience, that often caused him to do the right thing.

In regards to James Remar being cast as Buck Greene, it looks like the supporting cast may add a great dimension to the reboot's production. I have enjoyed every big and small screen appearance that James has been in, and find him a fine actor. As for the new Buck Greene, I'm sure James can bring the character to life.

As to rgholmes comments concerning Buck's uniform, being Army, I'm not familiar with the Information Warfare Device. As for the Meritorious Service Medals, I can say by personal experience, they are not easily awarded. I know my two certainly weren't. Of course, the gold bar being slammed onto Capt. Greene's desk, may be reminiscent of Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii, and I certainly hope it is. It does give me some hope, that the script writers may have actually watched Magnum P.I., and plan to give MPI some thought when writing the episodes for the reboot.
I totally agree with your comment on what Buck Greene brought to the show and what James Remar can bring to the new show.

His uniform is Navy. Here is a little more about the Naval Intelligence community.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_Warfare_Corps

Gary

rgholmes
Lieutenant Commander

#9 Post by rgholmes »

Rands wrote: ... being Army, I'm not familiar with the Information Warfare Device. As for the Meritorious Service Medals, I can say by personal experience, they are not easily awarded. I know my two certainly weren't.
Sorry I neglected to say this earlier:

Thank you for your service.

Very respectfully,
Gary

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Kevster »

Rands wrote:I for one, am glad to see the return of Buck Greene. While Magnum had numerous run ins with Buck, the character added a great deal to the Michelle story. Lance De Gault's depiction of Col. Greene provided much of the back story of Magnum's Vietnam service. While Buck Greene was a thorn in the flesh to almost everyone, Buck had a conscience, that often caused him to do the right thing.

Rands: Thanks for your service.

In my four years in the Army and only one duty station (with one NCOIC the whole time), I was effectively submitted for two awards when the first (an MSM) was denied. My NCOIC was an admitted train wreck, but he also recognized his failings during our time serving together and tried to make up for it at the end of my term. He submitted me for an MSM weeks before my E.T.S. It was denied because I'd never had an ARCOM or other noteworthy award, and they wouldn't approve the MSM without my having received other awards. I was in a support role at West Point, so it wasn't like I spent time in combat roles...

My NCIOC got me my award, an ARCOM, 10 years after I got out. Did I mention he was a wreck? LOL. He had it stored in a box when he moved on to two more duty stations and later retired. When we finally connected again, he told me the whole story of how the process unfolded... Submitted for the MSM/ Denied / Got the Colonel to go to bat for it / and eventually "ending up" with an ARCOM a couple months after I got out. Of course, they could have easily gotten hold of me, and I actually spoke to him a few times this first two months I was out, but he received my award days before he was transferred to Georgia and we never spoke after that...

I appreciated the award, but it was unfortunate that I didn't have the benefit of experiencing the award while I was ACTUALLY IN the military.
Trust Me!!!

Rands
Rear Admiral

#11 Post by Rands »

Kevster:

I must be honest, without my soldiers, my success would have been limited. I had a very unique policy, where I placed the welfare of my soldiers first, rather than mission first. My soldiers were very well aware of this, and always made sure our mission was completed. They in fact, had the position of mission first, as they did their very best for me, each and every day. Regardless of the risk to themselves, and the difficulty of the mission, they made it happen. It was my honor, to serve with these truly exceptional men.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Steve wrote:

It'd be like putting wee Tom Cruise in a Western up against John Wayne or Robert Mitchum or Randolph Scott or Tom Selleck, he'd look ridiculous.
Um Dobie, me thinks it's too late... he's already shrunk. All kidding aside, well said... I agree wholeheartedly.

And a shout out to those folks who commented on here and in PMs who found my jokes about Jay Hernandez being too small in stature to play TM offensive. Lighten up, life's too short.... and he's too short.

Sorry, I just can't stop.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by T.Q. »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:And a shout out to those folks who commented on here and in PMs who found my jokes about Jay Hernandez being too small in stature to play TM offensive. Lighten up, life's too short.... and he's too short.

Sorry, I just can't stop.
You serious? People were legit ‘offended’?

Sheesh. :roll:

P.S. Refresher: MiniMag in Tom Selleck’s short shorts. :lol:

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Haha, that was a great one, T.Q.! :lol:

Unfortunately yes, but I chalk it up to our overly sensitive society these days (such as seeing racism that just isn't there... it's just Krazy and Hails to a simpler time.) Anyway, my jokes are not about him as a person... I think he's too short to play TM. Bad casting. Period. Oh well! :D

So, while we're on the subject, I laugh every time I see "Thomas Magnum" on one of these billboards... no Photoshop necessary!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by T.Q. »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Haha, that was a great one, T.Q.! :lol:

Unfortunately yes, but I chalk it up to our overly sensitive society these days (such as seeing racism that just isn't there... it's just Krazy and Hails to a simpler time.) Anyway, my jokes are not about him as a person... I think he's too short to play TM. Bad casting. Period. Oh well! :D

So, while we're on the subject, I laugh every time I see "Thomas Magnum" on one of these billboards... no Photoshop necessary!

They are promoting MiniMag to the MAX.

Anyways, I fixed their billboard.

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.