An Idea for a Reboot Cameo that We MIGHT LOVE

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

An Idea for a Reboot Cameo that We MIGHT LOVE

#1 Post by Kevster »

I had an interesting thought about all this....

Back in 2012, after finishing the complete series, I had a cool concept/idea come to me about a Magnum TV Movie. I presumed that any TV Movie would not have Hillerman appear in any REAL way, but TS, LM, and RM could. I came up with the plot, a couple scenes, a cool premise to answer answer the Higgins/Robin Masters confusion (War buddy BECAME Robin Masters. Had a creative mind, but lacked the writing panache. Therefore, Higgins both WAS and WASN't RM). I got about eight or ten pages done in about two hours (I can REALLY type).

The core plot could still work in some way: Higgins has "died," and Magnum returns to the islands to deal with that. Robin's Nest was threatened by a developer (which has now ended up prophetic) and TM tries to thwart it. While THAT couldn't be fully replicated, we could have, "RM died and Higgins inherited the fortune. Robin's Nest was sold and Higgins bought this new estate, and now Higgins died and developers are circling again..."

The first scene idea was a TM narration while on the plane and approaching Honolulu. Looking out the window and reflecting on the time passage, the lack of connection in recent years, and the sense of loss... All while listening to a GIANT guy snoring in front or beside him, and also grousing about the inability to sleep during the flight due to the guys rasping.

Rick meets him at the airport and they do a quick greet there and TM grouses out loud about the "Big, fat guy that snored so bad" right as the giant passanger walks by. Quick fourth wall break...

That's what the launch of the movie idea was. I had one or two full scenes after that, and some general outline after that. Decent dialogue in the TM vein too.

With Hillerman gone now, the concept could still work. I had an idea for a Hillerman cameo at the end... With Higgins NOT REALLY DEAD, but leaving the islands with his lost love (the female royal from the show) on a private plane. That could be done digitally. The twist at the end: Higgins was the owner of the company that threatened his own estate. It was a ploy to reunite these friends that had drifted so far apart. A bit contrived I know, but appropriately so for a 1980s show (even M,PI).

The reason I shared is this... Instead of having the old cast cameo in the new show, how about having the new cast cameo in a TV Movie with the old cast? Wouldn't that help reconcile ALL OF IT?

Of course, LM and RM might not be up to it anymore. Especially if LM had a stroke as is feared.

Merits? Thoughts?
Trust Me!!!