Larry Manetti's CRN Show with Zach Knighton

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

Larry Manetti's CRN Show with Zach Knighton

#1 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I listened to Larry Manetti's CRN show from yesterday with Zach Knighton, and the most interesting thing (to me) is Knighton says Tom Selleck owns a piece of the reboot.

It's at about the 42:55 mark and the co-host/producer Mike Garey asks Larry "Are you aware if TS has given his blessing/offered any thoughts about the show?" and Larry says "Tom just said it's going to be what it's going to be. I'm not going to start putting words in his mouth. He's not the kind of guy that's going to poo poo it." And then Knighton jumps in and says "I also think Tom owns a piece of this show so I'm sure he wants it to ..." and then Garey interrupts saying "Oh, what's good for the goose is good for the gander."

Other interesting parts...

It's clear LM doesn't know if he'll be on the reboot or not. At one point Knighton says Peter wants LM to be on the show. He also says LM should be ready to be on a plane at any time because he's going to be on it, and LM says "Is that for sure?" And Knighton replies "I'm gonna make it for sure."

Knighton says about the reboot...
- they'll focus on the brotherhood aspect
- says they're going to honor the show
- music same... same theme
- it's car-centric
- he drives the brand new version of Larry's Mercedes on the show (which we already know)
- his vision of his character is to be loose, have fun, says he "gets to be the funny guy"

Mike Garey mentions "Magnum-Mania" and gives a shout out to his fellow "Magnum Maniacs"... I don't know if he's saying that in generic terms or if he's a member here so if you're reading this Mike "hi" back at ya'! Anyway, I think the show is worth listening to. There are some funny parts with the things LM says... calling Jay Hernandez "Jeff" and referring to Perdita Weeks as "the gal", and some short stories from the old days filming MPI. http://crntalk.com/larrymanetti/

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Larry Manetti's CRN Show with Zach Knighton

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Cool info! Thanks RG! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#3 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Totally. Thanks for the summary!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Junfan
Ensign

#4 Post by Junfan »

Interesting and weird on the show Larry seemed to throw Higgins, John Hillerman under the bus by stating - It's good you guys got a real Brit, because John Hillerman was from Texas.
I'm hoping this just Larry being nice because he wants a riole on the new show. :?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Steve »

Thanks again RG for another great find. It is reassuring that everyone involved seems to be a big fan of the original and this project is Lenkov's dream project. As far as Selleck owning a piece, I am wondering if that is because he became a Producer the last couple of seasons and as Bellisario and Glen A. Larson are now listed on the IMDB credits they get a share .......I'm thinking that if they are already showing the pilot to advertisers that a bootleg is going to pop up somewhere..RG?

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by K Hale »

Junfan wrote:Interesting and weird on the show Larry seemed to throw Higgins, John Hillerman under the bus by stating - It's good you guys got a real Brit, because John Hillerman was from Texas.
I'm hoping this just Larry being nice because he wants a riole on the new show. :?
Hillerman and Manetti were good friends. I didn't listen to this, but I am sure he was just trying to make a joke and it came out wrong. Who among us has not done this, ya know!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Steve »

K Hale wrote:
Junfan wrote:Interesting and weird on the show Larry seemed to throw Higgins, John Hillerman under the bus by stating - It's good you guys got a real Brit, because John Hillerman was from Texas.
Hillerman and Manetti were good friends. I didn't listen to this, but I am sure he was just trying to make a joke and it came out wrong. Who among us has not done this, ya know!
If you listen, it almost seems as though Larry was a half a beat slow on some of the points brought up. They bring up Eva Longoria's attempt at a revival centering around Lily Magnum last year and Larry seems to think that it would be a show about a Magnum with a woman lead and didn't pickup on the Lily reference.I think RG and I are on the same page so far that Zachary Knighton will be a stand out and might have been a better choice as Thomas Sullivan Magnum but time will tell.........

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Steve wrote:Thanks again RG for another great find. It is reassuring that everyone involved seems to be a big fan of the original and this project is Lenkov's dream project. As far as Selleck owning a piece, I am wondering if that is because he became a Producer the last couple of seasons and as Bellisario and Glen A. Larson are now listed on the IMDB credits they get a share .......I'm thinking that if they are already showing the pilot to advertisers that a bootleg is going to pop up somewhere..RG?
Thanks Steve! :D

Regarding the advertisers, if I understand correctly the networks show their pilots en mass at "upfronts" in New York and at the L.A. Screenings, both of which were held last month I believe (http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... =75#p55819). So I guess it's possible if someone tried to film it with their phone but I'm guessing that would be pretty obvious and a big no-no. :wink: