Shiggins - Perdita Weeks

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Shiggins - Perdita Weeks

#1 Post by ConchRepublican »

I figured I'd get the ball rolling on the section for Perdita Weeks' version of Higgins, or Shiggins as I've coined the role.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Steve
Fleet Admiral

Re: Shiggins - Perdita Weeks

#2 Post by Steve »

I know I am in the minority, but I love her and have already developed a crush on Ms. Weeks. This from only seeing seconds of "Shiggins" in the trailer and the cast interview........ If the viewing party or any type of Tiki Bar gathering comes about I will understand if I am banished to sitting in a far corner and having condiments spilled on my Jungle Bird shirt. Somebody stated that it would have been difficult to watch any male actor try and replicate Mr. Hillerman's role of JQH so, might as well think completely out of the box....(Jay Hernandez as "Lil' Tommy" had better be charming as all get out as I don't understand that casting decision)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

I agree with Steve. At first I was against it, but now I like it. Recasting a male Higgins would have been a disaster! It would have failed miserably whoever they got. That's probably the same reason why they went with a radically different casting for Magnum. They knew. Selleck and Hillerman are irreplaceable! Might as well cut your loses and go in a totally different direction! Good decision if you ask me. I hope they keep the focus on the banter between her and Magnum (which it seems like they are based on the trailer). The Higgins/Magnum relationship is a highlight of the show!

Interesting that they called her "Property Manager" and not "Major-Domo" in the trailer.

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican

#4 Post by ConchRepublican »

I have NO problem with Perdita, she's attractive and seems like an intetesting character. I just have an issue casting her as Higgins.

My feeling has always been, in these situations, instead of "rebooting" how about one speaks about being "inspired by".

Say in interviews you wanted to do a show similar to Magnum but reimagined. "Since the show stands on it's own and really can't be replicated we decided to make a show that hopefully would capture that feel and essence for a new generation."

Change Robin to a video game tycoon, move the Estate somewhere else and vióla, what Lenkov is doing without the same name. Maybe then us butthurt oldtimers would be more interested. I know I was turned on to Burn Notice by people on this forum who spoke well of it and compared it favorably to Magnum . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Steve »

Inspired by is a great description. I will say this, Lenkov has shown me more "inspired by" in a 3 minute preview trailer what with; The original theme music, the team rings, the original 308GTS, the Island Hoppers paint scheme, the complicated Higgins/Magnum relationship, a mysterious Robin Masters whom I guess will never be seen, an Estate (I know, but the original is now gone anyway), the teams war time flashbacks, Zeus and Apollo, and I am sure more to be revealed (did we ever determine if they are drinking Coops or was it Coors?) All the rebooted Hawaii Five-O kept was the names , the music, the Schooner painting and the extremely rare shot of the Mercury in Steve's garage.........I'm hoping for a well written "inspired by" show but time will tell.............

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

J.J. Walters wrote: Image
Bottom line, this is the number one reason they changed Higgins to a woman, end of story. I wouldn't be surprised if they saved Grace Park's bikinis for her :wink:

rasgards
Rear Admiral

#7 Post by rasgards »

I like the idea of having a female Higgins. There's not much in the TM/Higgins relationship that can't be plausibly carried over to a female. What I cannot stand for is that she is young and "hot". This will absolutely destroys the relationship. Higgins cannot have the key relational gravitas, being a barely 30 something. I'm sure she's a lovely actor, but same on Lenkov for selling out a key character for eye candy. Her sister would have at least be able to pull it off.

Ras G

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by T.Q. »

ConchRepublican wrote:I figured I'd get the ball rolling on the section for Perdita Weeks' version of Higgins, or Shiggins as I've coined the role.
If they felt they HAD to get a woman (of course they did) then they should have at least gone Emma Thompson or someone older. At least have the parent/kid dynamic.

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

f14peter
Lieutenant

#9 Post by f14peter »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Interesting that they called her "Property Manager" and not "Major-Domo" in the trailer.
If they did, would that have made her ... um ... er ... "Majorette-Domo"?

She's as tough as our beloved JQH, takes a bullet in the shoulder at close range and stays in the fight.

ConchRepublican

#10 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:I figured I'd get the ball rolling on the section for Perdita Weeks' version of Higgins, or Shiggins as I've coined the role.
If they felt they HAD to get a woman (of course they did) then they should have at least gone Emma Thompson or someone older. At least have the parent/kid dynamic.

Agreed. I was thinking Cate Blanchette/Judi Dench. Make her a Cold Warrior.
CoziTV Superfan spot

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by T.Q. »

ConchRepublican wrote:
T.Q. wrote:

Agreed. I was thinking Cate Blanchette/Judi Dench. Make her a Cold Warrior.
Already convinced we (bunch of us here) could have done a better reboot.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

f14peter wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:
If they did, would that have made her ... um ... er ... "Majorette-Domo"?

She's as tough as our beloved JQH, takes a bullet in the shoulder at close range and stays in the fight.
I don't see any evidence that a 'Major Domo' HAS to be a man. The overwhelmingly majority of Domo's are, indeed, men, but they don't have to be! Remember, we are in the 21th Century now! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!