Let's get it trending.

https://twitter.com/FlemingoKey/status/ ... 97568?s=19
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Core 4
Vice Admiral

Re: The Trailer

#3 Post by Core 4 »

Someone knows the actress at 3:10?. Because she's probably Hannah.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by eagle »

Core 4 wrote:Someone knows the actress at 3:10?. Because she's probably Hannah.
She looked like Gabrielle Anwar, but IMDB doesn't show it as being her.

-----

Now, on to the trailer:

I agree with your assessment, ConchRepublican.... The first time I viewed the trailer, I only lasted 34 seconds before I had to cut it off -- it was that or throw up in my mouth. A couple hours later, I forced myself to watch it a second time, and I made it through that time. So, it's basically a "Fast & Furious" version of Magnum, p.i.: Light on plot, heavy on car chases, explosions, & shootouts. Definitely not kid friendly -- and, some of you might remember the question I asked a few months back about when to introduce children to the show; even Larry Manetti answered!

The original show did not require much suspension of disbelief. Except for minor editing goofs and things (and, really, who cares?), all of it was completely plausible, if you give that a writer would hire Magnum as his onsite security. This new version, not at all -- every bit of the trailer required suspension of disbelief.

Wow. Just ... wow... and, not a good wow.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by eagle »

ConchRepublican wrote:#NotMyMagnum
haha - love the hashtag.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Danno »

This show should be called Magnum, O.T.T.

Well good. I can forget about this altogether now.

What a waste.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

JungleBird
Commander

#7 Post by JungleBird »

Wow.. that trailer really gave me a pretty bad first impression of the "new Magnum"... :?
But hey - it's only a trailer, right? RIGHT?? :cry: As a fan of the new Five 0, I still have at least some hope.
But as far as the trailer is concerned: Too flashy, it will be very very very......very hard to get used to the new "Higgins" and I don't feel the 'magnum vibe' at all. :|
However, I like Rick and TC so far!
The theme music version they're using - at least in the trailer - sounds horrible, like a bad MIDI-file :o

I'm gonna need to watch the pilot before I really can judge. But let's say: I'm having serious doubts about this... :higgins:
Last edited by JungleBird on Thu May 17, 2018 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

eagle wrote:-- every bit of the trailer required suspension of disbelief.
I have no idea what you're talking about https://youtu.be/qMmv9JFOEB0?t=3m33s

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by eagle »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
eagle wrote:-- every bit of the trailer required suspension of disbelief.
I have no idea what you're talking about https://youtu.be/qMmv9JFOEB0?t=3m33s
Exactly.

It's a sequence that could have been cut from Tom Cruise's "Mission: Impossible."

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by eagle »

JungleBird wrote:it will be very very very......very hard to get used to the new "Higgins"
JungleBird wrote::higgins:
It occurs to me that with this new "Higgins" we'd need a new higgins smiley...

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#11 Post by Core 4 »

I just want to say that I love Higgins. I know that fans of the original do not approve of Higgins being a woman. But what I saw in the trailer, Higgins may be my favorite character. TC and Rick look like they're cool characters. Magnum is not as great as Steve in the new Hawaii Five-0, but much better than the new MacGyver. There is potential. I like that the important thing in the reboot will be the bond between Magnum and the other characters. Many things from the original remain unchanged. Like theme song, Ferrari 308, quarrels between Magnum and Higgins, Dobermans, Detroit Tigers hat, Old Dussedorf beer, the ring, T.C. chopper, etc. It seems that I was right and Sung Kang will play Tanaka. I hoped that Noelani will appear in the trailer, but the mention of Five-0 is enough for me. The action in the pilot, especially in this type of series are usually like in blockbuster, and as the pilot was directed by Justin Lin, and the creator of the series is Peter Lenkov, so it's nothing surprising. There will not be so many action scenes in the next episodes, they will focus more on characters I think. I do not like the first scene from the trailer, I know it's just a fantasy from Robin's book, but when people start the trailer, they may have mixed feelings. But fortunately there are more positive than negative about trailer from this I read. The most common thing is that it's a Magnum P.I. looks fun. And that's how it should be.

MagnumsGMTMaster
Commander

#12 Post by MagnumsGMTMaster »

Like someone already said, you have to suspend belief to watch this. The original was all plausible. You could actually believe that the characters could be real and the storylines could happen in real life. Not in this show. I wonder if the producers just believe they have to be over the top for the younger audience. Season 1 of the reboot will not be Season 9 of the original.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

eagle wrote: It occurs to me that with this new "Higgins" we'd need a new higgins smiley...
If that's the case then we need a new Magnum smiley too, but it would just end up looking like The Beav.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#14 Post by ConchRepublican »

Core 4 wrote:I just want to say that I love Higgins. I know that fans of the original do not approve of Higgins being a woman. But what I saw in the trailer, Higgins may be my favorite character. TC and Rick look like they're cool characters. Magnum is not as great as Steve in the new Hawaii Five-0, but much better than the new MacGyver. There is potential. I like that the important thing in the reboot will be the bond between Magnum and the other characters. Many things from the original remain unchanged. Like Ferrari 308, quarrels between Magnum and Higgins, Dobermans, Detroit Tigers hat, Old Dussedorf beer, the ring, T.C. chopper, etc. It seems that I was right and Sung Kang will play Tanaka. I hoped that Noelani will appear in the trailer, but the mention of Five-0 is enough for me. The action in the pilot, especially in this type of series are usually like in blockbuster, and as the pilot was directed by Justin Lin, and the creator of the series is Peter Lenkov, so it's nothing surprising. There will not be so many action scenes in the next episodes, they will focus more on characters I think. I do not like the first scene from the trailer, I know it's just a fantasy from Robin's book, but when people start the trailer, they may have mixed feelings. But fortunately there are more positive than negative about trailer from this I read. The most common thing is that it's a Magnum P.I. looks fun. And that's how it should be.
Nothing about what you wrote relates to the actual Magnum PI TV series.

I get it, I am not someone to be objective about Magnum, but if I were, I'd say this trailer doesn't "get" the spirit of the series. To quote the Bard "it is a tale .... full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".

In this trailer all "Magnum" is missing is a cape. His team is assembled, he's buffed for his closeup and "Higgins" is an asset. There is no challenge. There is no edge. There are smiles and buddy/buddy comraderie with no history, nothing earned, no sacrifice.

This is a pale shadow of the series, missing the soul that gave real life to the relationships.

If I were asked by Lenkov or his team I'd say the focus has to be the relationships. Yes, they are always there for each other but it's not easy. TC as a struggling business man, Rick caught between his past, his friends and who he wants to be, Thomas the knight errant and Higgins, the adult in the room who yet understands, appeciates and maybe even yearns a little for their appreciation and comraderie to fill a missing void.

Give the characters real depth and foibles and the stories will come.

What we have just seen? Has all the depth of a puddle after a sunshower in south Florida . And it will have the same life expectancy unless they understand the just what history they have to play with.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

All of that is in one episode? Ugh..where to start? "Rick" seems like a clone of Scott Caan's "Danno." "Nuzzo" is a regular character? Fake Magnum and fake Higgins are already BFFs? And Hernandez has no VOICE!!!!

I wasn't even gonna check out the trailer, but you all made me do it! LOL!