The Trailer

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Gamer77
Lieutenant

Re: The Trailer

#196 Post by Gamer77 »

ConchRepublican wrote:I get it, I am not someone to be objective about Magnum, but if I were, I'd say this trailer doesn't "get" the spirit of the series. To quote the Bard "it is a tale .... full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".
Come now. I'd say it's at least deserving of the quote in full.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#197 Post by ConchRepublican »

Gamer77 wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:I get it, I am not someone to be objective about Magnum, but if I were, I'd say this trailer doesn't "get" the spirit of the series. To quote the Bard "it is a tale .... full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".
Nice . . .

I considered it, but I didn't want it to appear I was attacking Lenkov personally. Especially considering I believe he, or someone on his team, keeps an tabs on things in here.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#198 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Gamer77 wrote:Oh my, thanks for that. I needed the laugh. I swear they must have been paying homage this with that scene from 'The Foot Fist Way.
youtu.be/KY_G2f2R1Tg
You've reminded me of both these self-defence videos:

youtu.be/h_vvI26NnwE

youtu.be/KnUOdgrZj7g

Gamer77
Lieutenant

#199 Post by Gamer77 »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Gamer77 wrote:
Nice . . .

I considered it, but I didn't want it to appear I was attacking Lenkov personally. Especially considering I believe he, or someone on his team, keeps an tabs on things in here.
True enough. Keep it classy I suppose, even if they are flushing my childhood down the works.

Gamer77
Lieutenant

#200 Post by Gamer77 »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
Gamer77 wrote:Oh my, thanks for that. I needed the laugh. I swear they must have been paying homage this with that scene from 'The Foot Fist Way.
youtu.be/KY_G2f2R1Tg
You've reminded me of both these self-defence videos:

youtu.be/h_vvI26NnwE

youtu.be/KnUOdgrZj7g
Hahahaha! Those are gold!

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#201 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

The reboot is like a caricature of all that's wrong with modern Hollywood. Conch Republican summed it up best: NO SOUL. They COMPLETELY missed the spirit and the vibe of the series. A nuanced relation of grudging respect between two veterans? Boooo-ring. Let's make Higgins a hot babe and have lots of SEXUAL TENSION. And Magnum hanging from stuff mid-air in the middle of an explosion. They should have called it The Fast and The Furious: Hawaii.

If they wanted to introduce a woman they could have reintroduced Digger and made her a mamber of the gang instead of Nuzo, but killing Higgins? There will never be another John Hillerman, but there are plenty of classically trained British actors who could have done a dignified job as Higgins.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#202 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

KENJI wrote:It will be interesting to see if the guy talking to Jay at the 1:42 mark will be Tanaka.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0idfAmSwns
Of course, Tanaka couldn't be an unassuming older guy, he had to be some Asian male model.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#203 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:"It was nothing earth-shattering. One day I woke up age 33, and realized I'd never been 23."

Things are supposed to revolve around that.
No time for that, Conch. Top priority is shoot 'em ups, car scenes and cutesy conversations between Higgins and Magnum to keep us wondering if she’s a big meanie or if she really has the hots for Magnum... who apparently shaves his chest?!?!?
Of course he does. A 18-year-old girl's knee-jerk reaction to a hairy chest would probably be "Ewwww! Gross!"

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#204 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

MagnumsGMTMaster wrote: I wonder if the producers just believe they have to be over the top for the younger audience.
Think of the kind of movies that have been killing it in the box office in the last couple of decades: Transformers, X-Men...You show the average millennial a conversation between Magnum and Higgnis and after one minute the will be saying "Boring...when are they going to shapeshift?"

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#205 Post by KingKC »

I think there will be more explosions and vehicle crashes in the first few episodes of the new MPI than there were in the total original MPI series. I can only think of three car explosions. One in Need to Know when TM chased down Higgins in the BMW and one in Did You See the Sunrise when Mac was killed in the Ferrari. Then there was the explosion that killed Michelle. I think there was a boat that exploded in Rapture. I think there was a car crash in Try to Remember as well. Can anyone add to the list of explosions and car crashes from the original series?? Maybe someone can track the explosions and crashes in the new one just to compare. Just a thought.

midnightx
Commander

#206 Post by midnightx »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:The reboot is like a caricature of all that's wrong with modern Hollywood. Conch Republican summed it up best: NO SOUL. They COMPLETELY missed the spirit and the vibe of the series. A nuanced relation of grudging respect between two veterans? Boooo-ring. Let's make Higgins a hot babe and have lots of SEXUAL TENSION. And Magnum hanging from stuff mid-air in the middle of an explosion. They should have called it The Fast and The Furious: Hawaii.

If they wanted to introduce a woman they could have reintroduced Digger and made her a mamber of the gang instead of Nuzo, but killing Higgins? There will never be another John Hillerman, but there are plenty of classically trained British actors who could have done a dignified job as Higgins.
Absolutely. The female "Higgins" is very unappealing and completely misguided, particularly with the network's attempt to make her "hot" with unrealistic fighting skills. As you correctly stated, no one can do what Hillerman did, but the show could have gone for the same vibe to create a similar relationship between Magnum and Higgins. But, it is 2018, and the networks apparently cannot fill a cast with predominately male characters. That said, Higgins should have remained the somewhat curious and mysterious, older male representative of Robin Masters. The Magnum/Higgins relationship that was at times adversarial, at times very supportive and respectful and even one that presented a quasi father/son dynamic was one of the magical aspects of the original series. It appears the network is replacing that important dynamic with a few recycled cliches and sexual tension.

If the network needed to add a primary female character to meet the demands of present-day television diversity, it could have resurrected Carol Baldwin. Baldwin could have been in every episode, helping Magnum out on cases just like TC and Rick always do.

Who knows if the series will attract a viable audience, but who ever thought the Hawaii 5-0 reboot would last this long, a show that is appallingly bad.

midnightx
Commander

#207 Post by midnightx »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:
KENJI wrote:It will be interesting to see if the guy talking to Jay at the 1:42 mark will be Tanaka.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0idfAmSwns
Of course, Tanaka couldn't be an unassuming older guy, he had to be some Asian male model.
Surprisingly, Tanaka is not a transgender. The network is clearly trying to check as many diversity boxes as possible.

midnightx
Commander

#208 Post by midnightx »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Coops wrote:I like Jay Hernandez (those wanting another Tom Selleck should know that that was never going to happen. There is only one TS and that is TS).
Hi Coops! :D

I agree that there is only one Tom Selleck, but I don't think anyone here asked for another TS, just a better choice for the role of Magnum. The casting of Jay Hernandez is so incredibly absurd to me, but I can partially understand why Lenkov chose him... from what I've read online and especially observed on social media, the demographic of his fan base is ~16-24 year old females and they absolutely love the guy.

I've been wondering about this factor, though.... SO many times on MM I've heard you guys say, in different ways, that Magnum is someone you wanted to "be". I find it very hard to believe that Lenkov is going to even come close to capturing that feeling for his new male audience with Hernandez as Magnum... but I guess time will tell.
Well said. Truly, this is not about finding another Tom Selleck, because there is not one. But the Hernandez casting is an absurdity.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#209 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:You show the average millennial a conversation between Magnum and Higgnis and after one minute the will be saying "Boring...when are they going to shapeshift?"
:D :lol: :D Too funny!! Unfortunately very true.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#210 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

midnightx wrote:Surprisingly, Tanaka is not a transgender. The network is clearly trying to check as many diversity boxes as possible.
Don't worry, midnightx. We find out in episode 5 that he is. It's called character development. :wink:

At the start of season 2 he'll be throwing folks in jail who demand that boys go to the boys restroom and girls to the girls restroom. Gosh, I can't wait for all this progressive "growth".