The Trailer

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Levidale
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: The Trailer

#121 Post by Levidale »

T.Q. wrote:Image
That’s exactly how I felt!!! Very disappointed! I can’t imagine how Mr Selleck feels. :magnum:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#122 Post by ConchRepublican »

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#123 Post by KENJI »

I had to laugh at the trailer scene where Jay is shooting at the rear of the ambulance.
He watched his buddy Nuzo get thrown in the back and he then proceeds to fire away where Nuzo was located. He probably put a bullet into Nuzo himself. :wink: :lol: Why not shoot at the tires or step to the side and shoot at the driver's window. Also, I never saw one bullet hole in the rear of the ambulance yet the Ferrari was turned into Swiss cheese....either Jay is a terrible shot :wink: or we have a flub there...I'm thinking the latter. To be fair, they did show a few sparks coming off the bumper where a bullet supposedly hit, but I couldn't see any damage and Jay wasn't even shooting that low. Maybe they will spot that and fix it for September, doubt it.:roll:

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#124 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:Also, I never saw one bullet hole in the rear of the ambulance yet the Ferrari was turned into Swiss cheese....either Jay is a terrible shot :wink: or we have a flub there...I'm thinking the latter. To be fair, they did show a few sparks coming off the bumper where a bullet supposedly hit, but I couldn't see any damage and Jay wasn't even shooting that low. Maybe they will spot that and fix it for September, doubt it.:roll:
Funny you mention that KENJI... I was just reading an article about the trailer and it says "The trailer for revived Magnum P.I. is action packed, but some of the special effects look very rough. In one scene Magnum jumps off a falling truck onto a helicopter's skids, but the bad computer animation is worse than even a video game from a few years ago."

walken1974
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#125 Post by walken1974 »

Like most of the forum members I am not suprised by the trailer and the direction of the show it apoears to be headed towards. I am a fan of the original hawaii five o and the new version is very csi / cgi stunts etc. I showed my son the trailer and he seemed to be excited about the new show. I believe this is the audience cbs is shooting for and not us. ( magnum mania forum users) On a positive note
the new show has brought back some new passionate activity and posts on the forums. I have a trip to oahu this summer and am definetly conflicted if I would stop/ get pictures etc if we see the new show filming. I definetly will make my repeat pilgrimage to kaoina beach even though the estate is now gone. :cry:

shaun082
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#126 Post by shaun082 »

This reboot is a joke. The trailer felt more like a movie than a TV show. If this last more than 10 episodes it will be lucky. This was my comment on the YouTube trailer. (IN THE WORDS OF THE ORIGINAL HIGGY BABY. NO!NO!NO!. HOW DARE YOU HAVE THE AUDACITY TO CALL THIS MAGNUM PI. PETER LENKOV IS A VULGARIN A VISIGOTH. PLEASE REMOVE THIS TASTELESS REBOOT OF A CLASSIC IMMEDIATELY. Is this comment Magnum Mania approved?

ConchRepublican

#127 Post by ConchRepublican »

shaun082 wrote:This reboot is a joke. The trailer felt more like a movie than a TV show. If this last more than 10 episodes it will be lucky. This was my comment on the YouTube trailer. (IN THE WORDS OF THE ORIGINAL HIGGY BABY. NO!NO!NO!. HOW DARE YOU HAVE THE AUDACITY TO CALL THIS MAGNUM PI. PETER LENKOV IS A VULGARIN A VISIGOTH. PLEASE REMOVE THIS TASTELESS REBOOT OF A CLASSIC IMMEDIATELY. Is this comment Magnum Mania approved?

youtu.be/CWP0lrbGEZ0
CoziTV Superfan spot

ConchRepublican

#128 Post by ConchRepublican »

shaun082 wrote:This reboot is a joke. The trailer felt more like a movie than a TV show. If this last more than 10 episodes it will be lucky. This was my comment on the YouTube trailer. (IN THE WORDS OF THE ORIGINAL HIGGY BABY. NO!NO!NO!. HOW DARE YOU HAVE THE AUDACITY TO CALL THIS MAGNUM PI. PETER LENKOV IS A VULGARIN A VISIGOTH. PLEASE REMOVE THIS TASTELESS REBOOT OF A CLASSIC IMMEDIATELY. Is this comment Magnum Mania approved?
BTW . . . Welcome back!
CoziTV Superfan spot

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#129 Post by Coops »

Well, I'll chime in here, as copied and pasted from the other thread...

When I got word of the new trailer I put all assumptions aside and told myself to watch it for what it is and what it is not.

I actually really liked it. Yes, I liked it.

I watched it about 4 or 5 times stopping at scenes to think about what was going on. I do like the new Robin's Nest. I like the new Ferrari. I like Jay Hernandez (those wanting another Tom Selleck should know that that was never going to happen. There is only one TS and that is TS). The Nuzo team member really did shock me. In fact after the trailer and went back and watched Did You See The Sunrise? just to see if I missed something. Obviously, Nuzo calls Tom in an emergency, gets into a shoot out, then later states that Nuzo is dead. I think that speaks of a twist that we'll see in the first episode, if not, shortly thereafter. And the brunette? I originally thought it would be Michelle but after watching that scene a couple of times I think she's the new Carol Baldwin.

One thing about the original series that I think gets lost is the fact that it WAS sort of a The Fast And The Furious for its time. The estate, the cars, TC's helo, the KKC, all were representative of the "good life" and just about all things high-end (remember when Rick got a cellular phone and we all went, "Wow! That is cool!!"). We watched MPI not just for all things "bling" but also for the chemistry between the main characters, something that was, and still is, exceedingly rare in TV shows.

I think this will be a good show, if we give it time. Of course we would love to have it be a perfect template of the original series but, let's be honest, we knew coming into this that that would never happen. My approach is, "Hey, new Magnum is better than having no Magnum at all."

So, yes, my glass is always half-full!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#130 Post by Steve »

Coops wrote:Well, I'll chime in here, as copied and pasted from the other thread...

When I got word of the new trailer I put all assumptions aside and told myself to watch it for what it is and what it is not.

I watched it about 4 or 5 times stopping at scenes to think about what was going on. I do like the new Robin's Nest. I like the new Ferrari. I like Jay Hernandez (those wanting another Tom Selleck should know that that was never going to happen. There is only one TS and that is TS). The Nuzo team member really did shock me. In fact after the trailer and went back and watched Did You See The Sunrise? just to see if I missed something. Obviously, Nuzo calls Tom in an emergency, gets into a shoot out, then later states that Nuzo is dead. I think that speaks of a twist that we'll see in the first episode, if not, shortly thereafter. And the brunette? I originally thought it would be Michelle but after watching that scene a couple of times I think she's the new Carol Baldwin.

One thing about the original series that I think gets lost is the fact that it WAS sort of a The Fast And The Furious for its time. The estate, the cars, TC's helo, the KKC, all were representative of the "good life" and just about all things high-end (remember when Rick got a cellular phone and we all went, "Wow! That is cool!!"). We watched MPI not just for all things "bling" but also for the chemistry between the main characters, something that was, and still is, exceedingly rare in TV shows.

I think this will be a good show, if we give it time. Of course we would love to have it be a perfect template of the original series but, let's be honest, we knew coming into this that that would never happen. My approach is, "Hey, new Magnum is better than having no Magnum at all."

Well said, Coops. I lean more towards what you wrote, think it will be fine as a show on its own and not season 9 of the original. I also think the CGI will tone way down after the pilot episode as it would be too time consuming and costly to have in all episodes and they will concentrate on the relationships. I am hoping they don't add too many characters as the reboot of Hawaii five-0 did...Great to see you pipe in........

ConchRepublican

#131 Post by ConchRepublican »

CoziTV Superfan spot

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#132 Post by No need to know! »

Onion´s extra?

RustyPerroP.I.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#133 Post by RustyPerroP.I. »

I have asked some of my friends kids what they thought about the trailer. All have liked it. I guess it takes all the BS to keep their attention. Made me feel like an old fart.
"It's good for my cold"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#134 Post by J.J. Walters »

Coops wrote:Well, I'll chime in here, as copied and pasted from the other thread...

Well said, Coops! I concur (mostly). ;) Good call on Carol. I hadn't even thought of that for some reason. Carol has got to be in the show. It would be a shame if she wasn't. And a Nuzo twist. Now that would be cool!

By the way, good to see you again, Coops! You are one of the originals! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#135 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Coops wrote:I like Jay Hernandez (those wanting another Tom Selleck should know that that was never going to happen. There is only one TS and that is TS).
Hi Coops! :D

I agree that there is only one Tom Selleck, but I don't think anyone here asked for another TS, just a better choice for the role of Magnum. The casting of Jay Hernandez is so incredibly absurd to me, but I can partially understand why Lenkov chose him... from what I've read online and especially observed on social media, the demographic of his fan base is ~16-24 year old females and they absolutely love the guy.

I've been wondering about this factor, though.... SO many times on MM I've heard you guys say, in different ways, that Magnum is someone you wanted to "be". I find it very hard to believe that Lenkov is going to even come close to capturing that feeling for his new male audience with Hernandez as Magnum... but I guess time will tell.