The Trailer

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Bat22
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Trailer

#46 Post by Bat22 »

Higgins is actually one of the better parts of the trailer. I was more upset at the portrayal of TC. All that's missing is for him to yell out "MY MAN!" while Thomas does his Human Target thing.

The editing could have been better, saving the return of the classic Ferrari until after the Uber crack, and they could've stuck the landing by not having it destroyed while the Magnum PI theme plays triumphantly and Thomas has a foolish grin on his face.

I might just tune in for a lark because it felt like it wouldn't take much tweaking for this series trailer to have been a spoof trailer on reboots. And Higgins is hot. I should start just calling her Juliette because the sexual will-they-won't-they chemistry is otherwise going to feel awkward. Unless the makers want to subvert expectations by making Higgins and Agatha Chumley happen, in which case I do believe I will be tuning in.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by ENSHealy »

They show the team ring in the trailer, but it occurs to me that it has no real symbolic place in the reboot, if the guys military history takes place in Afghanistan. The ring is the Croix de Lorraine, a French symbol, which of course goes back to Vietnam being a French colony until Dien Bien Phu. In fact, I'm guessing it was Phillippe and Pepi that originally had the team rings, and the rest of the gang just hopped on the bandwagon.

I get why they kept the ring, it's one of the most iconic aspects of the original series, but it's just another thing that doesn't quite ring true in the reboot.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Turkey
Admiral

#48 Post by Turkey »

Damn. Without the Magnum/Higgins surrogate Father/Son tension - and more importantly, developing mutual respect - the series just side-stepped so much of the heart.

I feel sad for the actors who are probably really excited to be filming the show, because it's probably going to last half a season before it's cancelled, because the trailer makes it seem too much like every other action show. Hard to judge from a trailer alone, of course, but if it ever gets screened in down here I don't know whether I'll bother. Probably check the first episode, just in case.
Make it two weeks.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Core 4 wrote:Someone knows the actress at 3:10?. Because she's probably Hannah.
eagle wrote:She looked like Gabrielle Anwar, but IMDB doesn't show it as being her.
Here's a screen cap, guys. I think the woman in the trailer looks quite a bit younger than Anwar. Sounds like she has a slight accent, not unlike Michelle's.

karolis
Admiral

#50 Post by karolis »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
eagle wrote:She looked like Gabrielle Anwar, but IMDB doesn't show it as being her.
Here's a screen cap, guys. I think the woman in the trailer looks quite a bit younger than Anwar. Sounds like she has a slight accent, not unlike Michelle's.

She doesn't look like Gabrielle Anwar at all, not even the young one. She is beautiful but, this scene seems acted really bad to me.
I think she might be Michelle for new Magnum, but i wouldn't bet on it. I missed Tiffany Hines (Lara Nuzo) in the trailer.

f14peter
Lieutenant

#51 Post by f14peter »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I'm thinking now some of the over the top CGI stuff could be scenes from Robin Masters' novel. After the space scene Nuzo, TC and Rick joke about it... then Magnum (God that was hard to type) says, "When I'm not inspiring novels by best selling author Robin Masters, I'm his live-in security consultant blah blah blah...." So maybe at least some of the CGI we saw is supposed to be from a RM novel.

]
I've already posted a couple of times that I'm getting the sense that the final scene in the trailer of Magnum leaping from the falling truck to the helo skids is indeed a "Fantasy" or depiction from a book, or Magnum embellishing the story a bit. Bookending nicely with the space-jump that started the trailer.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

f14peter wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I'm thinking now some of the over the top CGI stuff could be scenes from Robin Masters' novel. After the space scene Nuzo, TC and Rick joke about it... then Magnum (God that was hard to type) says, "When I'm not inspiring novels by best selling author Robin Masters, I'm his live-in security consultant blah blah blah...." So maybe at least some of the CGI we saw is supposed to be from a RM novel.

]
I've already posted a couple of times that I'm getting the sense that the final scene in the trailer of Magnum leaping from the falling truck to the helo skids is indeed a "Fantasy" or depiction from a book, or Magnum embellishing the story a bit. Bookending nicely with the space-jump that started the trailer.
Oh, you posted about it being from Robin's novel? Guess we're on the same "page" then! :wink:

f14peter
Lieutenant

#53 Post by f14peter »

karolis wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:

She doesn't look like Gabrielle Anwar at all, not even the young one. She is beautiful but, this scene seems acted really bad to me.
I think she might be Michelle for new Magnum, but i wouldn't bet on it. I missed Tiffany Hines (Lara Nuzo) in the trailer.
Michelle? Well, the line she delivered would have been perfectly appropriate for a former significant other

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

karolis wrote:I think she might be Michelle for new Magnum, but i wouldn't bet on it. I missed Tiffany Hines (Lara Nuzo) in the trailer.
f14peter wrote:Michelle? Well, the line she delivered would have been perfectly appropriate for a former significant other
Core 4 noted above that she's probably Hannah, which he also posted about here http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... nah#p52264

karolis
Admiral

#55 Post by karolis »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
karolis wrote:I think she might be Michelle for new Magnum, but i wouldn't bet on it. I missed Tiffany Hines (Lara Nuzo) in the trailer.
f14peter wrote:Michelle? Well, the line she delivered would have been perfectly appropriate for a former significant other
Core 4 noted above that she's probably Hannah, which he also posted about here http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... nah#p52264
So i guess original Michelle = Hannah in a reboot.

karolis
Admiral

#56 Post by karolis »

The new Volkswaggen Transporter/Caravelle should be the new T.C.'s van. Or maybe they should keep the old one as it was in the original ;)

Did a little and fast photoshop:

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

karolis wrote:This may be because i'm not even 30 years old, i wasn't even born in the 80s, shows from this time of period in my country aired in late 90s, when i was 7-10 years old.
Just reading back through this thread... Oh wow, I've been watching MPI longer than you've been alive :shock:

Not the right thread for this, but I've been really enjoying all your screen caps & sleuthing :luther: karolis! Image

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

In contrary to many comments here, I applaud the way that they've done Higgins!

I love Higgins and I love the way how Hillerman played the role!

No contemporary actor could create something similar, we'd always be comparing him with Hillerman.
So instead of imitating the traditional Higgins, they went innovative and made something totally new.

I guess that we have to see some episodes of the reboot to get a certain idea and make a qualified judgement about the rebooted show.

In the old days, it took some time to evolve Higgins from some kid of sadistic despote to what he became later.

And the watch is a 16710 GMT Master II with a faded bezel, incase someone would like to know....

Magnum14
Ensign

#59 Post by Magnum14 »

Magnum reboot trailer, in a word..."garbage"

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#60 Post by ConchRepublican »

Bondtoys.de wrote:In contrary to many comments here, I applaud the way that they've done Higgins!

I love Higgins and I love the way how Hillerman played the role!

No contemporary actor could create something similar, we'd always be comparing him with Hillerman.
So instead of imitating the traditional Higgins, they went innovative and made something totally new.
As negative as I am about the Reboot in general, the "Shiggins" situation is one of the primary reasons.

I understand your position, why even TRY to remake what Hillerman created, go in a totally different direction (which is a slight against Selleck actually, because the same case can be made and once you do that, well, why even call it Magnum, which is my point, but I digress) . . . but that different direction should have been an older, wizened female with experiences dating back to The Troubles and things like that, who can still simulate the Higgins position from a different perspective. In my mind a Helen Mirren/Judi Dench type. This way we get the female perspective while still keeping a authority, and perhaps in the future a protective, position without the Moonlighting "will they/won't they" aspect.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04