New Magnum on Mondays! And new trailer!

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

New Magnum on Mondays! And new trailer!

#1 Post by MagnumILWU »

Last edited by MagnumILWU on Thu May 17, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"pickled egg please"

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

Re: New Magnum on Mondays!

#2 Post by MagnumILWU »

youtu.be/ADAeeJclFIU Mini Me Magnum!
"pickled egg please"

RustyPerroP.I.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: New Magnum on Mondays! And new trailer!

#3 Post by RustyPerroP.I. »

Just as I suspected. They have made a complete pile of steaming crap. I kinda bought in at first but all the CGI at the end ruined it. Guess Ill throw back a six pack and see if I can make through the entire episode. My money is on NO.
"It's good for my cold"

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Brian »

I couldn't even finish the trailer. :higgins:
Sneakers Higgins!!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by ENSHealy »

Tough to watch. Totally agree, they lost me at the first hint of CGI.

That being said, I will watch the pilot and try to keep an open mind.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by MagnumILWU »

People try to be so politically correct today, I'm surprised Rick and TC aren't gay lovers! :shock:
"pickled egg please"

f14peter
Lieutenant

#7 Post by f14peter »

RustyPerroP.I. wrote: ...but all the CGI at the end ruined it ...
the last scene of the trailer was soooo over the top, made me wonder if it wasn't a "fantasy" scene like the space-jump and the "reality", if you will, was something a little less "heroic".

Well, Lin won't be directing many more, if any once they get into seasonal production. His usual M.O. is to maybe direct a couple-a-three episodes, sometimes, of the TV shows he's associated with.

Diandra
Captain

#8 Post by Diandra »

Nooooooo!!!!!!!

artie
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#9 Post by artie »

f14peter wrote:
RustyPerroP.I. wrote: ...but all the CGI at the end ruined it ...
the last scene of the trailer was soooo over the top, made me wonder if it wasn't a "fantasy" scene like the space-jump and the "reality", if you will, was something a little less "heroic".

Well, Lin won't be directing many more, if any once they get into seasonal production. His usual M.O. is to maybe direct a couple-a-three episodes, sometimes, of the TV shows he's associated with.
I like your theory about the crap CGI being a Magnum fantasy.... that may make that acceptable to me.

rasgards
Rear Admiral

#10 Post by rasgards »

Terrible. :cry:
Ras G

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by perfectlykevin »

I was keeping an open mind, buuuuut this trailer sinks it for me. I'm getting NONE of the camaraderie of the original series, just swipes and jabs. The music sounded like a night club the whole time. The CGI'd scene was so over the top it defies even "cartoon physics" belief.

On the upside, I do like the new Higgins :wink: (now just no love interest between her and the guys pu-leeez!! That would be so expected it would err on the side of lazy)

They're going to have to do some major revising of characters and plots if they want to capture the essence of Magnum.

Kev

Macho Taco
Lieutenant

#12 Post by Macho Taco »

Of all the things that disturbed me after watching this trailer, perhaps the greatest is how short Jay Hernandez appears..so I looked up his height on google...5’9”!
I keep thinking of TM towering over Higgins saying, “Let’s see, I’m 6’4” so that would make you...”
A 5’9” Magnum paddling a surf-ski looks plain ridiculous.
Sorry, this just won’t cut it for me.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by MagnumILWU »

Macho Taco wrote:Of all the things that disturbed me after watching this trailer, perhaps the greatest is how short Jay Hernandez appears..so I looked up his height on google...5’9”!
I keep thinking of TM towering over Higgins saying, “Let’s see, I’m 6’4” so that would make you...”
A 5’9” Magnum paddling a surf-ski looks plain ridiculous.
Sorry, this just won’t cut it for me.
5'9'!? He's lucky if he's as tall as "our" Higgins! Even the guy who plays the "new Rick" is taller than him! I'd like to see him and Tom Selleck standing together! If it wasn't so sad, it would be comical!
"pickled egg please"

Rands
Rear Admiral

#14 Post by Rands »

Magnum ILWU: Thank you for posting the trailer. I too, kept an open mind regarding the reboot. To say that I was disappointed with the trailer would be a gross understatement.

Perfectlykevin's remarks as to "swipes and jabs", is perfectly phrased. The reboot tries to make use of many of the symbols of the original, such as Island Hoppers Hughes 500, (or the Boeing equivalent) is a nice touch, trying to link the original with the reboot. Unfortunately, the new TC doesn't appears more, pardon the term "Yuppie", than anything like the character Roger Mosley portrayed on the screen. Roger has a certain attitude that was reflected on the screen. No doubt this came from spending his youth in Imperial Courts, which then like now, is a very tough place to live. I was working a case in that neighborhood years ago, and my partner and I nearly got involved in a gun battle, with a couple crack dealers while stopped at a traffic light. Fortunately, they thought discretion was the better part of valor, leaving before the first rounds were fired. An exciting story for another time.

Jay Hernandez as Magnum, just doesn't live up to the standard Tom Selleck created. Tom's portrayal of the battle hardened Navy SEAL, and Naval Intelligence Officer, combined his athletic ability, made him a very believable character. Based on the trailer, I don't think Jay Hernandez can live up to the task. LORD knows, I've been wrong, and maybe this will be one of those instances.

As to Rick, "he's connected", apparently is the new character's biggest billing. Hopefully, there's more in development. Nuzzo? How does a Soviet GRU or KGB officer, become a Team member? Apparently, the writers were in the "controlled substances" before they began their task!

The use and destruction of the iconic Ferrari 308, ROBIN 1, certainly was one of the lowest points of the trailer. Magnum's use of the Ferrari 308, was responsible for most of that models worldwide sales, and has long been known to many as Magnum's car. ROBIN 1 could have been a nice link from the old to the reboot, similar to the SKYFALL version of Bond's Aston Martin's DB-5, but coupled with poor writing and CGIs, that link is now gone.

Being a veteran, working in both battalion sized, and small team units, the attempt of portraying camaraderie, is nothing of the sort I experienced. Most of my time was spent in Combat Engineer Battalions, that were both large in size, and 99.99% male. As the original showed, there is a very special and strong bond, formed by men in both trying and dangerous circumstances. I have often said I have two kinds of brothers, those by blood, and those by choice. Those men with whom I served were my brothers by choice.

I do hold out some hope, that the trailer isn't what will be seen in syndication.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#15 Post by ConchRepublican »

It seems like this thread is the best one for my negative views. :-)
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04