New Magnum on Mondays! And new trailer!

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Rands
Rear Admiral

Re: New Magnum on Mondays! And new trailer!

#16 Post by Rands »

Conch: Thank you for your well received complement! :D

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by MagnumILWU »

Rands wrote: Nuzzo? How does a Soviet GRU or KGB officer, become a Team member?
It appears, Nuzo, is the Lt Dan Cook character in this new pilot! Our Magnum pi, to me, was more about the characters personal interactions with each other, whether they were serious or comedic! The action being minimal, but an important part of the storyline! The way this preview looks, the new one will tale a more action/CGI approach! And Ms Hiiggins offering to help Magnum?! OMG!
"pickled egg please"

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#18 Post by ConchRepublican »

MagnumILWU wrote:
Rands wrote: Nuzzo? How does a Soviet GRU or KGB officer, become a Team member?
It appears, Nuzo, is the Lt Dan Cook character in this new pilot! Our Magnum pi, to me, was more about the characters personal interactions with each other, whether they were serious or comedic! The action being minimal, but an important part of the storyline! The way this preview looks, the new one will tale a more action/CGI approach! And Ms Hiiggins offering to help Magnum?! OMG!
Quite. :higgins:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

ConchRepublican

#19 Post by ConchRepublican »

In case y'all missed my rant on the Trailer thread.

I get it, I am not someone to be objective about Magnum, but if I were, I'd say this trailer doesn't "get" the spirit of the series. To quote the Bard "it is a tale .... full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".

In this trailer all "Magnum" is missing is a cape. His team is assembled, he's buffed for his closeup and "Higgins" is an asset. There is no challenge. There is no edge. There are smiles and buddy/buddy comraderie with no history, nothing earned, no sacrifice.

This is a pale shadow of the series, missing the soul that gave real life to the relationships.

If I were asked by Lenkov or his team I'd say the focus has to be the relationships. Yes, they are always there for each other but it's not easy. TC as a struggling business man, Rick caught between his past, his friends and who he wants to be, Thomas the knight errant and Higgins, the adult in the room who yet understands, appeciates and maybe even yearns a little for their appreciation and comraderie to fill a missing void.

Give the characters real depth and foibles and the stories will come.

What we have just seen? Has all the depth of a puddle after a sunshower in south Florida . And it will have the same life expectancy unless they understand the just what history they have to play with.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Turkey
Admiral

#20 Post by Turkey »

I could buy the last scene of the trailer being another 'fantasy' sequence from one of Robin's books - that'd actually work okay.

But again, it's sad that the Surrogate Father-Son/Mentor-Tormentor relationship between Magnum and Higgins can't happen now and that it'll be a 'will they/won't they' sexual tension thing instead, which is just too generic compared to the real Magnum.

I would like to see some of the military veteran themes in this series and hope that hasn't been swept under the rug in favour of fast cars and explosions.
Make it two weeks.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ConchRepublican wrote:In case y'all missed my rant on the Trailer thread.
I get it, I am not someone to be objective about Magnum, but if I were, I'd say this trailer doesn't "get" the spirit of the series. To quote the Bard "it is a tale .... full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".
In this trailer all "Magnum" is missing is a cape. His team is assembled, he's buffed for his closeup and "Higgins" is an asset. There is no challenge. There is no edge. There are smiles and buddy/buddy comraderie with no history, nothing earned, no sacrifice.
This is a pale shadow of the series, missing the soul that gave real life to the relationships.
If I were asked by Lenkov or his team I'd say the focus has to be the relationships. Yes, they are always there for each other but it's not easy. TC as a struggling business man, Rick caught between his past, his friends and who he wants to be, Thomas the knight errant and Higgins, the adult in the room who yet understands, appreciates and maybe even yearns a little for their appreciation and comraderie to fill a missing void.
Give the characters real depth and foibles and the stories will come.
What we have just seen? Has all the depth of a puddle after a sunshower in south Florida . And it will have the same life expectancy unless they understand the just what history they have to play with.
Boy, Conch, after the above you have quashed even the smallest flicker of hope I had for the new series. Okay just kidding, you hit it on the head. However you might take solace in the fact that without a doubt Magnum Mania is THE place to go online to gauge the pulse of Magnum Fandom.
So no doubt the suits at CBS who green lighted the new Magnum are experiencing a very high pucker factor after their underlings reported back the initial reactions (such as yours)here to the Magnum Trailer. Frankly I am surprised they didn't assign 5 or 10 of them to join up and post their overwhelmingly positive reaction to the trailer, or hire some Russians to do it.
I kid you not, my cousin Linda used to toil in Hollywood and she assures me they absolutely would monitor reactions at the most prominent fan sites for a given movie or tv series, besides it's way cheaper than having to pay a boatload of money to some company to compile the same data.
And this is the place for Magnum Mania.

ConchRepublican

#22 Post by ConchRepublican »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Frankly I am surprised they didn't assign 5 or 10 of them to join up and post their overwhelmingly positive reaction to the trailer, or hire some Russians to do it.
I kid you not, my cousin Linda used to toil in Hollywood and she assures me they absolutely would monitor reactions at the most prominent fan sites for a given movie or tv series, besides it's way cheaper than having to pay a boatload of money to some company to compile the same data.
And this is the place for Magnum Mania.
I think they did. Check out relatively new members and their history/comments.
CoziTV Superfan spot

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by KingKC »

OH MY GOD!!!!

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#24 Post by Nikita70 »

Typical Hollywood. Looks like it will be an action driven show with quite a lot of shootouts, over the top stunts, and CGI. Uhh. Why am I not surprised?

Rands
Rear Admiral

#25 Post by Rands »

Conch:

Several years ago, when a sports semi final playoff series ended a day early (I believe it was the Dodgers), CBS who had been televising the series, ran an episode of Magnum. It certainly was a surprise, as it was prime time on CBS! I was watching the program with the in laws, and when the theme started and TC's helicopter appeared on the screen everyone was glued to the screen. As there had been numerous rumors about a Magnum reboot, none was more hopeful than me! Despite it not being a new episode, everyone watched it start to finish.

It truly was amazing, as everyone assembled had planned to leave and be on their way, until an episode of Magnum appeared! If a surprise 30 year old episode of Magnum, can cause everyone to change their plans, imagine what a reboot produced to the same quality and formula of the original can do? Maybe CBS is using a different set of demographics, that I'm not aware of. Hopefully, the reboot doesn't become the new Coke.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Coops »

Well, I'll chime in here.

When I got word of the new trailer I put all assumptions aside and told myself to watch it for what it is and what it is not.

I actually really liked it. Yes, I liked it.

I watched it about 4 or 5 times stopping at scenes to think about what was going on. I do like the new Robin's Nest. I like the new Ferrari. I like Jay Hernandez (those wanting another Tom Selleck should know that that was never going to happen. There is only one TS and that is TS). The Nuzo team member really did shock me. In fact after the trailer and went back and watched Did You See The Sunrise? just to see if I missed something. Obviously, Nuzo calls Tom in an emergency, gets into a shoot out, then later states that Nuzo is dead. I think that speaks of a twist that we'll see in the first episode, if not, shortly thereafter. And the brunette? I originally thought it would be Michelle but after watching that scene a couple of times I think she's the new Carol Baldwin.

One thing about the original series that I think gets lost is the fact that it WAS sort of a The Fast And The Furious for its time. The estate, the cars, TC's helo, the KKC, all were representative of the "good life" and just about all things high-end (remember when Rick got a cellular phone and we all went, "Wow! That is cool!!"). We watched MPI not just for all things "bling" but also for the chemistry between the main characters, something that was, and still is, exceedingly rare in TV shows.

I think this will be a good show, if we give it time. Of course we would love to have it be a perfect template of the original series but, let's be honest, we knew coming into this that that would never happen. My approach is, "Hey, new Magnum is better than having no Magnum at all."

So, yes, my glass is always half-full!

ConchRepublican

#27 Post by ConchRepublican »

Ok guys we need to band together here and help out another Maniac in need ....

Coops has been kidnapped and his account hijacked!!!
CoziTV Superfan spot

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Coops »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Amian
Admiral

#29 Post by Amian »

Coops wrote:Well, I'll chime in here.

When I got word of the new trailer I put all assumptions aside and told myself to watch it for what it is and what it is not.

I actually really liked it. Yes, I liked it. ... So, yes, my glass is always half-full!
Coops, I like your attitude and I think that what you are saying makes sense. I mostly felt disoriented while watching the trailer. The CGI at the end was ridiculous, but the disorientation was more about the uncanny feeling I got from hearing the names and seeing the helicopter and Ferrari in action. And someone else pointed out it looked so odd to see not-TS paddling in his outrigger.

There's promise there... I hope the writers are truly paying attention to what worked before. Updates for the times are okay, but remember what worked before!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Frodoleader »

First of all, I am late to this reboot talk. I did not even realize it was happening until my son linked it to me on FB. Second, after watching the trailer, my initial feeling was that I was watching a fan-made movie, like what fans of Star Trek do. That is, a group of people get together and make their own movie about ST or in this case, MPI. What you end up with are strangers playing familiar roles. To me, there is only one Thomas Magnum and that is Tom Selleck. Same for all the (original series) regulars. It will be just too weird seeing someone that is NOT TM, or Rick, or TC.
And Higgins! Okay, not to be crass here, but how long before a major subplot of the reboot will be TM banging Higgins (or at least trying...)?
Let that last statement role around in your head a bit - weird, isn't it? Three words I never thought would go together...
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan