For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#1 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Is anyone else wondering about what sidearm New MiniMag will carry? Side note it is interesting that in Hawaii, in order for a private investigator to carry a firearm he has to have written permission from the Police Chief on him at all times.
That reminds me of the time....

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Re: 1911

#2 Post by eagle »

Yes, I have been wondering this. It will be interesting to see what they do. My guess is that they will use a Sig Sauer P226 -- that is, after all, what the SEALs have used for decades, and the new Magnum is a former SEAL. We shall see.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

☨magnum.t wrote:Is anyone else wondering about what sidearm New MiniMag will carry?

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by 308GUY »

:lol:

You're "bad"....... :magnum:

Surprised you didn't post a pea shooter....an ACTUAL pea shooter! :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Sam »

308GUY wrote::lol:

You're "bad"....... :magnum:

Surprised you didn't post a pea shooter....an ACTUAL pea shooter! :lol:
Hi 308guy.... they are brutal :lol:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#6 Post by ConchRepublican »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
☨magnum.t wrote:Is anyone else wondering about what sidearm New MiniMag will carry?
I have to say, Rembrandt's Girl has been on fire lately.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#7 Post by Mr. Greene »

Looks like the new Magnum will be carrying a STI 2011

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by perfectlykevin »

Mr. Greene wrote:Looks like the new Magnum will be carrying a STI 2011
How does the STI compare to other 1911's out there? Been looking at the SIG 1911 myself. Good eye by the way, I didn't catch more than a glimpse of the gun in the trailer :)

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#9 Post by Mr. Greene »

The STI is a premier gun in the competition world, basically a double stack 1911 with a polymer and steel frame. I used to shoot one in competition and they make some for the concealment and carry crowd a bit pricey but good guns

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by perfectlykevin »

Mr. Greene wrote:The STI is a premier gun in the competition world, basically a double stack 1911 with a polymer and steel frame. I used to shoot one in competition and they make some for the concealment and carry crowd a bit pricey but good guns
Cool, good to know. I'm not that familiar with handguns-shot rifles as a kid in BoyScouts. Looking to buy a handgun in the next few months and now I have a new brand to add to the list to check out. Thanks! :)

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#11 Post by Mr. Greene »

No problem, I’m sure the info will be on the imfdb website soon, not sure which model in the line it is but should be able to get close with some screen shots

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Kevster »

So, STI/Detonics is supposed to be responsible for the long-rumored STX and MTX model pistols. Detonics has gone through a few ownerships changes, has been dead and resurrected a couple times, and is now supposed to be a team of five people. If STI and Detonics are corporately connected, then the new firearm choice may be the best they could do to modernize the MPI firearm while staying connected to a very specific item from the original show.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I think they may have tried....
Trust Me!!!

Bat22
Lieutenant Commander

#13 Post by Bat22 »

Not as a slight to STI but comparing it to the classic Government model seems to indicate that the new show-runners are going for action and flash, maybe even overcompensation given the knocks on Hernandez's height. There are a number of modern 1911 manufacturers whose models are sleek and refined without looking tricked-out; then again, Fast & Furious...

I myself appreciate the 1911. I've a few auto-loaders in other calibers but, if I ever got into the .45 ACP, I'd be stuck choosing between a SIG P220 and a single-stack 1911.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Kevster »

Bat22 wrote:Not as a slight to STI but comparing it to the classic Government model seems to indicate that the new show-runners are going for action and flash, maybe even overcompensation given the knocks on Hernandez's height. There are a number of modern 1911 manufacturers whose models are sleek and refined without looking tricked-out; then again, Fast & Furious...

I myself appreciate the 1911. I've a few auto-loaders in other calibers but, if I ever got into the .45 ACP, I'd be stuck choosing between a SIG P220 and a single-stack 1911.
The perspective I came from is that the team is trying to strike a balance. The TM of today would be a product of the SEAL culture of today. In trying to strike that balance, they are trying to connect that with a legacy that is about 40 years old (the earliest seeds of the show). Detonics and a 1911 are the two pistols TM seemed to carry most often, with the Detonics the most esoteric. So, if the "re-creators" are trying to connect today's SEALs and the show of 40-years ago, the STI is the absolute best they could do. Detonics is a train wreck right now. The SEAL culture has now embraced a lot of the modern sidearm options, especially those with composites, which was NOT the case from the 1960s through the 1980s. The only thing Detonics has an association with today that the SEALs might be exposed to is the STI: STX and MTX.

Seems like somebody made a real effort to find a connect, even if they might be miss seeing the forest through the trees in some foundational areas.

Just having a modern day SEAL go with an old school 1911 .45 is not a valid backstory for today.
Trust Me!!!

Bat22
Lieutenant Commander

#15 Post by Bat22 »

Kevster wrote:
Bat22 wrote:Not as a slight to STI but comparing it to the classic Government model seems to indicate that the new show-runners are going for action and flash, maybe even overcompensation given the knocks on Hernandez's height. There are a number of modern 1911 manufacturers whose models are sleek and refined without looking tricked-out; then again, Fast & Furious...

The perspective I came from is that the team is trying to strike a balance. The TM of today would be a product of the SEAL culture of today. In trying to strike that balance, they are trying to connect that with a legacy that is about 40 years old (the earliest seeds of the show). Detonics and a 1911 are the two pistols TM seemed to carry most often, with the Detonics the most esoteric. So, if the "re-creators" are trying to connect today's SEALs and the show of 40-years ago, the STI is the absolute best they could do. Detonics is a train wreck right now. The SEAL culture has now embraced a lot of the modern sidearm options, especially those with composites, which was NOT the case from the 1960s through the 1980s. The only thing Detonics has an association with today that the SEALs might be exposed to is the STI: STX and MTX.

Seems like somebody made a real effort to find a connect, even if they might be miss seeing the forest through the trees in some foundational areas.

Just having a modern day SEAL go with an old school 1911 .45 is not a valid backstory for today.
I don't begrudge the makers going with a newer 1911 platform, just that it be that particular choice. From what I've read the Navy SEALs typically used no-frills workhorses like SIGs and Glocks, so a sizeable competition pistol with its enlarged magwell seems an odd choice not just for former military but a private investigator practicing concealed carry. The 1911 platform is beyond old school - it was already beyond old school back in 1980 - but there have been a great number of models since MPI ended whose visual appearances would easily complement a different PI while looking reasonable for Mag's civilian and professional lives and Jay's stature (half-joking: I wish I was 5'9"). But if Magnum really is going full-on fast and furious, then maybe the STI is the most tonally appropriate.
ImageImage