Season 1 Episode 1: I Saw the Sun Rise - Pilot (1.1)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
2%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
7%
7.5 (Decent)
7%
7.0 (Average at Best)
16%
6.5 (Not So Good)
9%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
27%
5.0 (Just Awful)
16%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
18%

Total votes: 45

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 1 Episode 1: I Saw the Sun Rise - Pilot (1.1)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Again, just trying to split things off from the general thread now while it's easier to do. So much is coming in that we might as well keep things organized and easy to reference. :wink:

It appears Did You See the Sunrise was Mr. Lenkov's favorite episode from the original show so it makes sense he would like to do a spin on it with his version.... I Saw the Sun Rise.

We know there is a Nuzo character in the pilot, so I'm guessing there will be an Ivan type character as the villain. Core 4 posted a pic of some type of prison with cages which also connects well the original script.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product and how it stacks up against our original!
Last edited by KENJI on Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 1: I Saw the Sun Rise - Pilot (1.1)

#2 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:Again, just trying to split things off from the general thread now while it's easier to do. So much is coming in that we might as well keep things organized and easy to reference. :wink:

It appears Did You See the Sunrise was Mr. Lenkov's favorite episode from the original show so it makes sense he would like to do a spin on it with his version.... I Saw the Sun Rise.

We know there is a Nuzo character in the pilot, so I'm guessing there will be an Ivan type character as the villain. Core 4 posted a pic of some type of prison with cages which also connects well the original script.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product and how it stacks up against our original!
I've been watching some of the auditions on vimeo and here's what I've got so far. Of course I don't know how much of this will actually be in the pilot:

- We already know from the call sheet that (Sebastian) Nuzo is in it, as well as a Lara Nuzo, and it's revealed in one of the auditions that it's the former who ends up dead. He hired Magnum and gets kidnapped/murdered before Magnum has a chance to see what Nuzo wanted to hire him for. Apparently some stolen gold that was being transported by boat to Hawaii sank, Nuzo was looking for it and found it, and was then murdered.

- Rick and Magnum have a scene where they're attacked by the bad guys while they're at the sunken gold site. Rick asks Magnum if there's "enough gold down there to buy The Club a new boat?"

- There is a scene between Magnum and Tanaka, very reminiscent of the conversations/relationship they had on the original MPI. In one audition video Tanaka refers to him as a "P.I." and Magnum corrects him, "Private Investigator".

- From the auditions I watched I get the feeling of a lot of smart a** banter between Magnum, Rick, & T.C., some of it cutesy/comical. I know we had a bit of that in the original MPI, but it actually reminds me more of the conversations between McGarrett and Dano (of the new H50 that is).

- Buck Greene is mentioned as Naval Intelligence.

- Last but not least, there is a scene between Magnum and Higgins, and Magnum comes across as, oh, I don't know... flirting with Higgins? That's my take. This scene starts at the 1:48 mark. Blech. https://vimeo.com/256472456

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by Core 4 »

There was also scene, in which someone said that this is the case for HPD or Five-0.

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#4 Post by Core 4 »

I found audition tapes with Higgins, but with another actress than I've seen before. The Ferrari, Apollo and Zeus, Robin, and Nuzzo are mentioned there. And of course there are a lot of quarrels between Magnum and Higigns, especially in first video.

https://vimeo.com/254220410

https://vimeo.com/254214635

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#5 Post by marlboro »

Those videos are very interesting. One thing that stood out to me is that New Higgins is initially somewhat secretive about being in MI6. A pretty big departure from Hig-Classic who had a tale for every occasion.

p.s. Just me, or is the lady who was auditioning in that video a bit of a H.I.L.F.?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Whoa, whoa, whoa! SPOILER ALERTS! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by Core 4 »

Characters that appear in Magnum P.I. Pilot. For now, we know:

Thomas Magnum (played by Jay Hernadez) - a decorated ex-Navy SEAL who, upon returning home from Afghanistan, repurposes his military skills to become a private investigator. With help from fellow vets Theodore “TC” Calvin and Orville “Rick” Wright, as well as that of disavowed former MI-6 agent Juliet Higgins, Magnum takes on the cases no one else will, helping those who have no one else to turn to.

Juliet Higgins (played by Perdita Weeks) - “majordomo” (i.e., property manager) for the large Hawaiian estate of writer Robin Masters, for whom Magnum ostensibly works security and lives in his guest house. She is commanding, confident, tough, uses sarcasm to deflect emotion and is hard to get to know — but it’s worth it in the end.

Orville “Rick” Wright (played by Zachary Knighton) - A former door gunner with the Marines, Rick now runs Oahu’s coolest nightclub. According to Magnum, Rick is well connected – if you want something on the island, Rick is the man to see. He is one of Magnum’s friends who were all POWs in Iraq together. In the original series, the role was played by Larry Manetti.

Theodore ‘TC’ Calvin - A former Marine Corps chopper pilot, TC runs Island Hoppers, the smallest but best helicopter tour business in Hawaii. TC is one of Magnum’s group of loyal friends who bonded when they were all POWs in Iraq.

Lt. Yoshi Tanaka (probably played by Sung Kang) - Character from original. From Spoiler TV snippet we know that Magnum and Lt. Tanaka of the HPD do not get along - some backstory there.

Noelani Cunha (played by Kimee Balmilero) - Character from Hawaii Five-0, Medical Examiner, City of Honolulu. This has not been confirmed officially, but her presence in the photo of the Magnum cast in the restaurant and character name in the call sheet leave no illusions. She will appear in the pilot, which means, Magnum P.I. and Hawaii Five-0 are in this same universe

Sebastian Nuzzo (played by Domenick Lombardozzi) - friend of Magnum, probably he is one of Magnum’s friends who were all POWs in Iraq together. Judging by the casting videos he will not be connected with Russia storyline, like in original (it is possible that in the pilot will not be a storyline of Russia and Ivan at all), and he will be just a friend and Magnum’s friends who were all POWs in Iraq together. He hired Magnum and gets kidnapped/murdered before Magnum has a chance to see what Nuzo wanted to hire him for. Apparently some stolen gold that was being transported by boat to Hawaii sank, Nuzo was looking for it and found it, and was then murdered.

Lara Nuzo - I think it will Nuzzo's wife.

Zeus and Apollo - From Lenkov's photo and casting tape of Higgins, we know that they will be in pilot, and they still be Dobermans.

These characters will be at least mentioned (we do not know if they will appear in the pilot):

Hananah - Personally, I think she might be a "new" Michelle. According Spoiler TV snippet (if they did not change it later in script), Magnum has some history with a woman named Hannah. It didn't end well, but she was his CIA contact and girlfriend for a mission in North Korea years ago that Robin uses in his new book. There is a Plot Twist here.

Col. Buck Greene - He is mentioned in casting video on Vimeo. Tanaka tells Magnum that Nuzo made a call to Buck Greene.

PS. I forget about Robin Masters, he will be mentioned at least several times.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Core 4 wrote:
Hananah - Personally, I think she might be a "new" Michelle. According Spoiler TV snippet (if they did not change it later in script), Magnum has some history with a woman named Hannah. It didn't end well, but she was his CIA contact and girlfriend for a mission in North Korea years ago that Robin uses in his new book. There is a Plot Twist here.
There is a bit more about Hannah... there's a scene with her and Magnum in the vimeo audition videos. Here's that same guy auditioning for Magnum that I posted but this time go to about the 3:20 mark. https://vimeo.com/256472456

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Something else I picked up while watching the audition videos, it sounds like Robin's books are actually about Magnum.

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#10 Post by Core 4 »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Core 4 wrote:
There is a bit more about Hannah... there's a scene with her and Magnum in the vimeo audition videos. Here's that same guy auditioning for Magnum that I posted but this time go to about the 3:20 mark. https://vimeo.com/256472456
Interesting. It looks like that Hannah will be reccuring character. But not a typical villain I think (I doubt she was the one behind the Nuzzo killing, at least this video does not indicate it). But somebody in the middle. Acting once as an enemy, once as an ally. I wonder if this mission in Korea was about gold, because Magnum says in present time something that finally she has gold in her hands or something like that.

I am a little regret that I said about casting videos, because I already spoiled herself the pilot a lot, first about Nuzo, now about Hannah. Although after this snippet from Spoiler TV I suspected that there might be Hannah's betrayal or faking the death on this mission in Korea or something like that. It turns out that it was the first one.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Another behind the scenes exclusive from the Magnum Mania Investigative Unit... here's a photo of Perdita Weeks in wardrobe this morning :shock:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#12 Post by ConchRepublican »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Core 4 wrote:
Going by what I heard, this "magnum" right off the bat, Pilot episode, is asking Shiggins to help and get info from "her" MI6 contacts.

Yeah, OK.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Another behind the scenes exclusive from the Magnum Mania Investigative Unit... here's a photo of Perdita Weeks in wardrobe this morning :shock:

Your picture made me think... isn't it politically incorrect to use the term Dobermans? Shouldn't it be "Doberpersons"?

And, shouldn't at least one of those dogs be a member of the "LGBTQXIYZSMTP0123 community"?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Another behind the scenes exclusive from the Magnum Mania Investigative Unit... here's a photo of Perdita Weeks in wardrobe this morning :shock:

Good one RG!
Looking forward to a few more of those behind the scenes pics!!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by 308GUY »

Lovin' the get up!LOL

Looks like they took it right out of JQH closet!

New wallpaper?......................nawwwwwwww :magnum:

Lads lookn' good too.

If nothing else...this is going to be "interesting"...... :higgins:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"