Ferrari

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Ferrari

#1 Post by KENJI »

Just thought it was time to split off the subject of the Ferrari from the main thread now while it's early....easier to find things later too. :wink:

Thanks to RG's pic of ROBIN-2 we were able to decipher it was a 488 Ferrari which is a perfect upgrade for the reboot.
I found it interesting the plate was ROBIN-2 not 1 so I`m wondering what Lenkov has up his sleeve......
I posted this on the The Magnum PI reboot thoughts thread:

If ROBIN-1 turns out to be a 308 and we are assuming that ROBIN-2 will be a 488 based the pic RG posted, then I'm okay with the Audi (assuming it will even be an Audi) being ROBIN-3 etc.. I remember in Summer School they had Robin's other Ferrari being ROBIN 23 which I thought was really stretching it....assuming they were implying he had at least 23 vehicles there. It should've been ROBIN-4 or 5 to keep in line with what they had going. I'm a stickler for the details to K Hale, but in this case I would bend the rules! Heck, for all we know the female Higgins will drive the 488 ROBIN-2 and Hernandez will be driving ROBIN-1 (maybe the 308)....it's a stretch too, but Magnum has to drive ROBIN-1 in my books, unless, UNLESS they have a ROBIN-1 retirement story where we see the 308 with ROBIN-1 plates at the estate, but no one drives it.....basically like retiring a baseball jersey and it hangs from the rafters which I like the sound of....Tom Selleck drove the 308 and no one else should drive it again (look, but don't touch or DRIVE). It could be a nice way of saluting the original show and Selleck while carrying on with the reboot. Yes, I know some are saying they could've done that by not doing the reboot at all, but that's not the case so we have to go with Plan B. :wink: I would be really happy with that outcome and if the Audi's plate is sacrificed, then they have at least the blessing from one MPI (original) fan. I think Lenkov knows he has to try and connect with the original fan base the best he can while not annoying us purists too much. This might be a peace offering to win us over. It's going to come down to the acting and the storylines if they can pull it off. Adding a Ferrari, chopper, Coops Beer, ring , Rolex etc. are the easy parts! They have some really big shoes to fill!!!

Lenkov brought back the original Steve McGarrett`s 1968 Mercury for the HFO reboot so I could see him bringing back the 308 for some much needed brownie points!

Does anyone else like the idea of ROBIN-1 being a 308 and better yet, one that no one drives :?:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

Re: Ferrari

#2 Post by Steve »

Heck, I would even be happy if Juliet Higgins drove the 308GTS just to have it in the show. I am liking what I am seeing so far and that Lenkov is well aware of the intricacies of the original. By the way, I have no problem with Higgins being a female as from what I read, Higgins and Magnum will be feuding like cats and dogs until the need arises to team up.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by 308GUY »

Wrong thread. :oops:
Last edited by 308GUY on Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:Just thought it was time to split off the subject of the Ferrari from the main thread now while it's early....easier to find things later too. :wink:

Thanks to RG's pic of ROBIN-2 we were able to decipher it was a 488 Ferrari which is a perfect upgrade for the reboot.
I found it interesting the plate was ROBIN-2 not 1 so I`m wondering what Lenkov has up his sleeve......
I posted this on the The Magnum PI reboot thoughts thread:

If ROBIN-1 turns out to be a 308 and we are assuming that ROBIN-2 will be a 488 based the pic RG posted, then I'm okay with the Audi (assuming it will even be an Audi) being ROBIN-3 etc.. I remember in Summer School they had Robin's other Ferrari being ROBIN 23 which I thought was really stretching it....assuming they were implying he had at least 23 vehicles there. It should've been ROBIN-4 or 5 to keep in line with what they had going. I'm a stickler for the details to K Hale, but in this case I would bend the rules! Heck, for all we know the female Higgins will drive the 488 ROBIN-2 and Hernandez will be driving ROBIN-1 (maybe the 308)....it's a stretch too, but Magnum has to drive ROBIN-1 in my books, unless, UNLESS they have a ROBIN-1 retirement story where we see the 308 with ROBIN-1 plates at the estate, but no one drives it.....basically like retiring a baseball jersey and it hangs from the rafters which I like the sound of....Tom Selleck drove the 308 and no one else should drive it again (look, but don't touch or DRIVE). It could be a nice way of saluting the original show and Selleck while carrying on with the reboot. Yes, I know some are saying they could've done that by not doing the reboot at all, but that's not the case so we have to go with Plan B. :wink: I would be really happy with that outcome and if the Audi's plate is sacrificed, then they have at least the blessing from one MPI (original) fan. I think Lenkov knows he has to try and connect with the original fan base the best he can while not annoying us purists too much. This might be a peace offering to win us over. It's going to come down to the acting and the storylines if they can pull it off. Adding a Ferrari, chopper, Coops Beer, ring , Rolex etc. are the easy parts! They have some really big shoes to fill!!!

Lenkov brought back the original Steve McGarrett`s 1968 Mercury for the HFO reboot so I could see him bringing back the 308 for some much needed brownie points!

Does anyone else like the idea of ROBIN-1 being a 308 and better yet, one that no one drives :?:
Inserting pic here in the new thread from my post yesterday...

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Image

NICE, VERY NICE!!!! That would make a statement on any show!
Excellent choice Mr. Lenkov!

Thanks for posting RG!

Had to laugh at the little kid behind the cop.....it looks like he was up to no good in the first shot while Barney Fife was busy getting his picture taken, then the last shot looks like the kid is being busted by the now alert deputy :shock: . :lol:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#7 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Great stuff! Thanks RG!

I like the idea of the 308 as Robin 1, but what would be the explanatory story line?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Steve »

My first trip to Oahu in 1987 when the series was still being filmed, I recall seeing a couple of corner lots on the ride from the airport to Waikiki with 308's with a RENT ME sign in the window. Might be a tad more of an investment to do with a 488..........

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#9 Post by Core 4 »

I like this model. It was known that it must be new car, because they could not use it from the 80's. But I think that original 308 Ferrari also will appear somehow. Peter likes such tastes. In Hawaii Five-0, in several episodes appeared 1974 Mercury Marquis who used Steve McGarrett in the original Hawaii Five-O. In new version, it belonged to Steve's father, and Steve used it sometimes he was not on duty or when he was repairing it.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by KENJI »

Steve wrote:My first trip to Oahu in 1987 when the series was still being filmed, I recall seeing a couple of corner lots on the ride from the airport to Waikiki with 308's with a RENT ME sign in the window. Might be a tad more of an investment to do with a 488..........
Too funny Steve,

I remember those 308 rentals too, but then they all disappeared or rusted away from the scene.
I did look inside one and it was well used and VERY tired so they did get some good use back then. I vaguely remember the cost being around $200 plus mileage, but that's a rusty memory so don't quote me. Yeah, the 488 will be another story....it would be more like $1,200 to $1,500 plus mileage, assuming someone even wants to start renting them...time will tell.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Steve »

KENJI wrote:
Steve wrote:My first trip to Oahu in 1987 when the series was still being filmed, I recall seeing a couple of corner lots on the ride from the airport to Waikiki with 308's with a RENT ME sign in the window. Might be a tad more of an investment to do with a 488..........
Too funny Steve,

I remember those 308 rentals too, but then they all disappeared or rusted away from the scene.
I did look inside one and it was well used and VERY tired so they did get some good use back then. I vaguely remember the cost being around $200 plus mileage, but that's a rusty memory so don't quote me. Yeah, the 488 will be another story....it would be more like $1,200 to $1,500 plus mileage, assuming someone even wants to start renting them...time will tell.
I think your correct, KENJI. I seem to recall the price being just under $200.00/day but the mandatory insurance adding quite a bit to the rental price. I was dating a waitress from the Chicago Sheraton at the time so we saved a ton on our room costs in Waikiki and Maui, she told me to go for it and now I wish I had as it would have been a once in a lifetime memory.....

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by KENJI »

Steve wrote:
KENJI wrote:
Too funny Steve,

I think your correct, KENJI. I seem to recall the price being just under $200.00/day but the mandatory insurance adding quite a bit to the rental price. I was dating a waitress from the Chicago Sheraton at the time so we saved a ton on our room costs in Waikiki and Maui, she told me to go for it and now I wish I had as it would have been a once in a lifetime memory.....
Yes, the insurance was definitely more....again, a bit rusty here, but I think you received a token bit of mileage (basically down the street's worth) and then they stung you pretty hard per mile so that approx. $200 ballooned to probably $350-$400 with gas and tax in. I agree, driving the 308 back then would've been a lasting memory. At least you made it to Pahonu - that's a great memory! :D

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

I just read through the comments next to these pics, and markjching (the cop actor) said "the 308 gts is also at the studio" :D

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:

I just read through the comments next to these pics, and markjching (the cop actor) said "the 308 gts is also at the studio" :D
That's excellent news RG!!! I'll put money on it that the 308 has ROBIN-1 plates!!!! :magnum: :D
Another great find! :luther:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Steve »

KENJI wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:

That's excellent news RG!!! I'll put money on it that the 308 has ROBIN-1 plates!!!! :magnum: :D
Another great find! :luther:
Indeed! I'm still wondering if that might be a part of the Higgins/Magnum conflict. Who drives the 488 and who drives the 308...