CBS orders Magnum PI pilot!

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: CBS orders Magnum PI pilot!

#61 Post by marlboro »

The change in the age of the character is an even bigger screwup than changing his sex, imo. No more father/son relationship. No more camaraderie between two generations of soldiers. Just an extremely tired "will they or wont they?" plot.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by K Hale »

I've tried to keep an open mind but I'm surprised at how much I resent and loathe this. It's almost funny how much it's affecting me. Everything about it is so gratuitous, and as someone said, one can't help but notice the timing.

I hope it flops too. Despite trying not to be, I'm thoroughly disgusted.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by KENJI »

I think the original is in a league of its own and untouchable (like Babe Ruth) and the reboot is new to the scene and unproven to this point so your not expecting too much, but you’re willing to watch and see what happens. Putting it in baseball terms... the original show is the homerun all-star Magnum Sr. playing for the Detroit Tigers and the reboot is his son Magnum Jr., who to this point plays for one of their affiliate teams, the Toledo Mud Hens :roll: . The kid has been called up to the majors to show the world what he’s got and if he hits a few homers along the way and does the Magnum name proud, he might stick around for a few seasons, but if he strikes out he will be sent back to the Mud Hens never to be seen again :oops: . Just because he has the same name as his father on the back of his jersey doesn’t make him a star, he will have to prove his worth to the fans like Sr. did – PLAY BALL! :magnum: Joking aside, good or bad, Magnum Mania will benefit with new members, an increase in forum activity and some well deserved exposure so that is a positive in my book. I can picture many more of us dissecting each episode while comparing it to the original.....will there be dobermans, a Ferrari, a Michelle, Luther, Buck etc., etc. - can’t wait!!! Another potential positive that has already been mentioned by a few of our members would have Pahonu being used in some episodes. This would speed up the much needed repairs to a very special place that we all love. No idea what the Nesbitts have planned, but the timing is perfect for them to get some repairs done on CBS/Universal’s dime....they just have to weigh the loss of privacy by opening up the front gate.....they might want to talk to Eve first. Hawaii will also benefit so that is yet another positive! I’m sure the original show will also get some new fans out of this experiment too. Now, lets hope Lenkov doesn’t butcher it too much and we get at least a few seasons out of it. I’m surprised how long the HFO reboot has kept going as the storylines can be down right terrible and not even believable at times so like it or not, we might be discussing the Magnum reboot for quite some time.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by 308GUY »

KENJI wrote:I think the original is in a league of its own and untouchable (like Babe Ruth) and the reboot is new to the scene and unproven to this point so your not expecting too much, but you’re willing to watch and see what happens. .......I’m surprised how long the HFO reboot has kept going as the storylines can be down right terrible and not even believable at times so like it or not, we might be discussing the Magnum reboot for quite some time.

"Quite" :higgins:

Well said KENJI. (You know.....my mother was a member of the Toledo Mud Hens! :wink: )

Somebody else on the web mentioned Jason Momoa as a good candidate to play TM...while I'm reserving judgement (I usually don't "judge" period...only know what I like and what I don't.. :magnum: ) on Jay H. in the role, I do think Momoa fits better in the role as it was originally cast, at least physically....AND he's FROM HI ~!

You know the old saying..."imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"...well....they don't really "need" to pay homage to the original to have a successful run with the "redaux" for all we know, the only thing they are really using from the original is the name and concept...which I'd guess includes the setting, but wouldn't necessarily have to.

If it gets picked up, maybe it will increase the value of the memento's some of us have from the original! :lol: (Hey....it could happen! :magnum: )

We don't have to like it...but let's wait and see how it goes....? 8)
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by KENJI »

Hi 308GUY,

Your mom must know Jamie Farr/Klinger from MASH very well :wink: supposedly he is their #1 fan and has even mentioned the team on the show........
http://news.sportslogos.net/2015/03/14/ ... he-minors/
Go Mud Hens!!!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Steve wrote:
☨magnum.t wrote:So it seems Peter Lenkov posted a picture on instagram posing with Larry Manetti and a magnum pi crew jacket. Maybe they are taking good advice??

Hmmmmmm........Larry as the new Ice Pick perhaps?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by KENJI »

Thanks for the pic RG!

I'm surprised he wasn't wearing a team ring though!

Yes, it will be interesting to see what Peter might have up his sleeve for Larry and the reboot....Ice Pick would be a good fit for him.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#68 Post by ConchRepublican »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Steve wrote:
☨magnum.t wrote:So it seems Peter Lenkov posted a picture on instagram posing with Larry Manetti and a magnum pi crew jacket. Maybe they are taking good advice??

Hmmmmmm........Larry as the new Ice Pick perhaps?

Dammit . . . I thought something was up with Larry. His voice on the podcast didn't sound right and now that right arm is a dead giveaway. My mom has the same look to her hand, I'd bet anything the poor guy had a stroke.

EDIT - obviously I am making a non-medical assessment based on one picture. I hooe I am wrong and it's just an awkward shot. Either way, I'm adding Larry to my prayers . . . just in case.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by 308GUY »

Wow CR....having lived with a partner for the last 13 years that I KNOW had a stroke and was left right side paralyzed...I'd have to agree with your assessment.

If it's NOT true, it'd sure be a surprise, just going by this picture. Certainly don't want to start spreading rumors with no foundation, but the right arm/hand plus the "strange" smile, suggest very strongly that a stroke may be responsible. Notice how the right side of his mouth doesn't really "turn up" like the left, and the curled under top lip is suspect as well....maybe that's just the way he smiles? You know Elvis used to tease everybody telling them there was "something wrong with his lip" :lol:

I really hope it's NOT true, and if it is, he has chosen to keep it under raps, or at least I've heard nothing about it, so perhaps we shouldn't even be speculating. :( I guess it's human nature though.

Anyway, That looks just like a couple jackets I have hanging in my closet! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

J.J. Walters wrote:And there it is, folks. The new Higgins! Reported on multiple news outlets! Miss JULIET Higgins, played by British actress Perdita Weeks! I don't know anything about her, but I love her first name. Perdita! :)

According to variety.com, she (Juliet Higgins) is "commanding, confident, tough, uses sarcasm to deflect emotion and is hard to get to know."

This is going to take a while to sink in. :shock:

J.J.
I am just happy they didn't choose Rosie O'Donnell as the new Higgins, now married to Agatha who is leader of a distaff biker gang that helps Magnum solve mysteries, the bikers a updating of Sherlock Holmes Baker Street Irregulars.
I don't hold out much hope that this new version will work. Off the top of your head, how many of us here can name some successful reboots? True Grit worked, as well as the Maverick film based on the old tv series. I can't think think of anything else.
New versions of The Munsters, Animal House, Route 66, Wild Wild West, You bet Your Life, The Honeymooners, McHales Navy all crashed and burned.
"That's Dobie with a 'B', not a 'P' "...Dwayne Hickman

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by K Hale »

True Grit and Maverick worked because look who was in them. There is ZERO of that kind of quality in this.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

308GUY wrote:Wow CR....having lived with a partner for the last 13 years that I KNOW had a stroke and was left right side paralyzed...I'd have to agree with your assessment.

If it's NOT true, it'd sure be a surprise, just going by this picture. Certainly don't want to start spreading rumors with no foundation, but the right arm/hand plus the "strange" smile, suggest very strongly that a stroke may be responsible. Notice how the right side of his mouth doesn't really "turn up" like the left, and the curled under top lip is suspect as well....maybe that's just the way he smiles? You know Elvis used to tease everybody telling them there was "something wrong with his lip" :lol:

I really hope it's NOT true, and if it is, he has chosen to keep it under raps, or at least I've heard nothing about it, so perhaps we shouldn't even be speculating. :( I guess it's human nature though.

Anyway, That looks just like a couple jackets I have hanging in my closet! :magnum:
This was also mentioned on MM on a brief thread: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... anetti+ill

Their radio show was off from June 21, 2016 and returned in June 2017, perhaps because of this? I've only listened to it a couple times so maybe someone else knows why their show wasn't on. His facebook page also had just one post during that absence.

Um, by the way 308GUY, you don't need two of those jackets, do you? :wink:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#73 Post by ConchRepublican »

I remember that thread, I don't think anything was confirmed .....
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#74 Post by Core 4 »

From Peter Lenkov Instagram Story, Zeus and Apollo.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#75 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Zeus and Apollo will literally be the absolute best part of this new show. Maybe it could just be a show about them running around barking, solving crime....they could even meet up with other pups, Sir Algernon could have a cameo. That's a show I'd watch.
That reminds me of the time....