The Trailer

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Trailer

#61 Post by Kevster »

I'm hoping that the "over the top/Justin Lin" aspect of the pilot will not survive into the show.

That's just wishful thinking, I know.
Trust Me!!!

Kate Sullivan
Lieutenant Commander

#62 Post by Kate Sullivan »

Gun fights, car chases, explosions - yep, that's exactly what I expected from Lenkov. You could swap nu-TM, TC, Rick and Juliette with nu-Mac, Bozer, Jack and Riley and no-one would notice. :)

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Bondtoys.de wrote:In contrary to many comments here, I applaud the way that they've done Higgins!

I love Higgins and I love the way how Hillerman played the role!

No contemporary actor could create something similar, we'd always be comparing him with Hillerman.
So instead of imitating the traditional Higgins, they went innovative and made something totally new.
As negative as I am about the Reboot in general, the "Shiggins" situation is one of the primary reasons.

I understand your position, why even TRY to remake what Hillerman created, go in a totally different direction (which is a slight against Selleck actually, because the same case can be made and once you do that, well, why even call it Magnum, which is my point, but I digress) . . . but that different direction should have been an older, wizened female with experiences dating back to The Troubles and things like that, who can still simulate the Higgins position from a different perspective. In my mind a Helen Mirren/Judi Dench type. This way we get the female perspective while still keeping a authority, and perhaps in the future a protective, position without the Moonlighting "will they/won't they" aspect.
The reason may be simple:
The needed a hot chick as one of the main characters ;)

I can understand you wishing for a more mature Higgins replacement, but let's give her some episode and then find out, if the young Shiggins is really such a bad idea?

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Kevster »

I'm reflecting on the MPI universe. In about six months we lost John Hillerman and the original Robin's Nest. Conversely, we now have a pilot and a series commitment for a revival. Major changes all, but it is fitting that two of the five main characters of the show are not around to be a part of the MPI next generation revival.

I hope that TS, RM, and LM avoid it like the plague as well.
Trust Me!!!

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#65 Post by Kwai Bridge »

I've just seen the trailer today, which is also the reason I remembered that I used to be a part of the Magnum-Mania family, so guess who's back!

Sooooo anyway...what do you guys think the in-universe explanation of the existance of Robin-1 308GTS will be?

In my opinion, the only realistic explanation is that Robin Masters owns a 308GTS in this "timeline" (to put it that way) as well.

Since all of the characters share names with the characters from original show, that means that there also can't be any blood relation between Juliet and Jonathan Higgins, and the 308 serves as a slight nudge to the fans of the original show, before being wrecked in Episode 1 to introduce a new Ferrari which will then serve to appeal to the newer generations.

As for the other things in the trailer...I completely disliked the CGI and Mission:Impossible-esque jump at the end of the trailer...not to mention that I'm totally not expecting the creators of the show to pay attention to small details, such as the elusive "Get Wet" cap, "Coops" beer and all of the other obscure nudges which made the show feel all the more interesting and intriguing.

I guess I'll give the pilot episode a shot, but I'm not expecting to get hooked. I mean, come on, Thomas Magnum without a moustache? They could have just made a Magnum P.I.-esque show and call it something else...

But those are just my thoughts. Tell me what you think!
Last edited by Kwai Bridge on Fri May 18, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karolis
Admiral

#66 Post by karolis »

Kwai Bridge wrote:I've just seen the trailer today, which is also the reason I remembered that I used to be a part of the Magnum-Mania family, so guess who's back!

Sooooo anyway...what do you guys think the in-universe explanation of the existance of Robin-1 308GTS will be?

In my opinion, the only realistic explanation is that Robin Masters owns a 308GTS in this "timeline" (to put it that way) as well.

Since all of the characters share names with the characters from original show, that means that there also can't be any blood relation between Juliet and Jonathan Higgins, and the 308 serves as a slight nudge to the fans of the original show, before being wrecked in Episode 1 to introduce a new Ferrari which will then serve to appeal to the newer generations.

As for the other things in the trailer...I completely disliked the CGI and Mission:Impossible-esque jump at the end of the trailer...not to mention that I'm totally not expecting the creators of the show to pay attention to small details, such as the elusive "Get Wet" cap, "Coops" beer and all of the other obscure nudges which made the show feel all the more interesting and intriguing.

I guess I'll give the pilot episode a shot, but I'm not expecting to get hooked. I mean, come on, Thomas Magnum without a moustache?

But those are just my thoughts. Tell me what you think!
You're wrong about Coops ;)

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#67 Post by Kwai Bridge »

karolis wrote:You're wrong about Coops ;)
Oh wow, I've completely missed that! Maybe there is hope after all...

karolis
Admiral

#68 Post by karolis »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
karolis wrote:This may be because i'm not even 30 years old, i wasn't even born in the 80s, shows from this time of period in my country aired in late 90s, when i was 7-10 years old.
Just reading back through this thread... Oh wow, I've been watching MPI longer than you've been alive :shock:

Not the right thread for this, but I've been really enjoying all your screen caps & sleuthing :luther: karolis! Image
Yeah, sometimes i think that i was born in a wrong decade and in the wrong country ;) I really like 80s culture. As i would sometimes say - i'm nostalgic for 80s even though i'm born in 1990 :D

Thank you, i'm enjoying this active forum really much. When i watched MPI last year i didn't read the forum, because i thought it was dead (didn't check the last posts dates), so i just read Episode Guides on website. The news about reboot made me start watching original again and i started to read comments about it here, as well as comments about the original episodes as i was rewatching them ;) Someone may hate reboots, but hey - it's making this forum more active again!

karolis
Admiral

#69 Post by karolis »

Kwai Bridge wrote:
Speaking about Coops, few days ago i was stunned - i watched Cobra Kai (Karate Kid sequel on Youtube Red) trailer and at the 0:16 mark i just noticed a Coops bottle:

Link: https://youtu.be/xCwwxNbtK6Y

I always thought that such beer was only used in Magnum P.I.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by Sam »

karolis wrote:
Kwai Bridge wrote:
Speaking about Coops, few days ago i was stunned - i watched Cobra Kai (Karate Kid sequel on Youtube Red) trailer and at the 0:16 mark i just noticed a Coops bottle:

Link: https://youtu.be/xCwwxNbtK6Y

I always thought that such beer was only used in Magnum P.I.
Hi karolis.....that is a Coors can.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch& ... SDLdB7tmWM:
Last edited by Sam on Fri May 18, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karolis
Admiral

#71 Post by karolis »

Sam wrote:Hi karolis.....that is a Coors can.
Oh... :oops: I'm not from USA, don't know all the beers.

EDIT: So i Googled and i found out that Coops is based from Coors... Nice inside joke ;)

Kwai Bridge
Captain

#72 Post by Kwai Bridge »

karolis wrote:
Sam wrote:Hi karolis.....that is a Coors can.
Oh... :oops: I'm not from USA, don't know all the beers.
Yup, they used Coops in Magnum as a little nudge to Coors without having to pay for licensing rights (as far as I know, I'm not from USA either). We're kinda going off topic now though! :magnum:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#73 Post by J.J. Walters »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I'm thinking now some of the over the top CGI stuff could be scenes from Robin Masters' novel. After the space scene Nuzo, TC and Rick joke about it... then Magnum (God that was hard to type) says, "When I'm not inspiring novels by best selling author Robin Masters, I'm his live-in security consultant blah blah blah...." So maybe at least some of the CGI we saw is supposed to be from a RM novel.

Also, the novel is titled White Night: Secret State which might explain all the "White Night" code names they're calling each other.

That's definitely not a first edition, with "#1 Bestseller" on the dust jacket and spine! Sorry, the bibliophile in me couldn't resist! :)

"White Knight" is an interesting term.

Merriam-Webster:
"One that comes to the rescue of another; especially : a corporation invited to buy out a second corporation in order to prevent an undesired takeover by a third."

Urban Dictionary:
"A man who stands up for a woman's right to be an absolute equal, but then steps up like a white knight to rescue her any time that equality becomes a burden." LOL!

It's also Evgeni Malkin's nickname and a term by which Lewis Carroll referred to himself! :shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Work The Lock
Lieutenant

#74 Post by Work The Lock »

Somewhere, Donald Bellisario is shaking his head in disbelief.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by KENJI »

It will be interesting to see if the guy talking to Jay at the 1:42 mark will be Tanaka.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0idfAmSwns