No season 5, reboot cancelled

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: No season 5, reboot cancelled

#46 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Magnum4eva wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:24 pm
jno wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:11 pm I'll confess, I am happy they have brought back the new show. Sure, it AIN'T original Magnum, but I have been enjoying this alternative version for a few years and well done to all concerned for getting Magnum back on air. Nothing will spoil the legacy of original Magnum, it will always be a classic show - the reboot is a different but still enjoyable show, though I can understand those who might disagree.

8)
But see, that's what I'm worried about is Magnum's legacy and Tom Selleck's as well getting replaced. I know it may seem silly but it's how I feel. Like you said though I can understand people who disagree. All I know is that those four actors will ALWAYS be Magnum, TC, Rick and Higgins for me and that ain't changing.
I feel the same way about remakes tarnishing the image of the original. There was a time when you said Hawaii Five-O and everyone knew what you meant. The Jack Lord show that ran from 1968 to 1980. But nowadays you have to clarify which one you're talking about - the original or the remake. I hate that because as far as I'm concerned there's only one true Five-O. You could have 2 people hearing the word Five-O and have completely different images running through their mind. That shouldn't be the case. The remake should have been an original show filmed in Hawaii with no connection to the Five-O property. Call it SPECIAL UNIT: HAWAII or whatever. Just don't call it Five-O. Same with the Magnum remake.

Magnum4eva
Rear Admiral

#47 Post by Magnum4eva »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:17 pm
jno wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:11 pm I'll confess, I am happy they have brought back the new show. Sure, it AIN'T original Magnum, but I have been enjoying this alternative version for a few years and well done to all concerned for getting Magnum back on air. Nothing will spoil the legacy of original Magnum, it will always be a classic show - the reboot is a different but still enjoyable show, though I can understand those who might disagree.

8)
But see, that's what I'm worried about is Magnum's legacy and Tom Selleck's as well getting replaced. I know it may seem silly but it's how I feel. Like you said though I can understand people who disagree. All I know is that those four actors will ALWAYS be Magnum, TC, Rick and Higgins for me and that ain't changing.
I feel the same way about remakes tarnishing the image of the original. There was a time when you said Hawaii Five-O and everyone knew what you meant. The Jack Lord show that ran from 1968 to 1980. But nowadays you have to clarify which one you're talking about - the original or the remake. I hate that because as far as I'm concerned there's only one true Five-O. You could have 2 people hearing the word Five-O and have completely different images running through their mind. That shouldn't be the case. The remake should have been an original show filmed in Hawaii with no connection to the Five-O property. Call it SPECIAL UNIT: HAWAII or whatever. Just don't call it Five-O. Same with the Magnum remake.
Right, same thing with trying to search online and you have to clarify. It's annoying, but getting past my fears, I don't think this reboot or the Hawaii Five O or MacGyver really matter in the long run because at the end of the day all they were\are is cash grabs using nostalgia to get attention that they obviously didn't have the confidence to get on their own merit. I don't think most people at least will even remember them ten, twenty, thirty years from now, but all these years later people still love and remember Hawaii Five O, Magnum and MacGyver. We just have to hang on to that.

Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Magnum4eva wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:05 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:17 pm

8)
Right, same thing with trying to search online and you have to clarify. It's annoying, but getting past my fears, I don't think this reboot or the Hawaii Five O or MacGyver really matter in the long run because at the end of the day all they were\are is cash grabs using nostalgia to get attention that they obviously didn't have the confidence to get on their own merit. I don't think most people at least will even remember them ten, twenty, thirty years from now, but all these years later people still love and remember Hawaii Five O, Magnum and MacGyver. We just have to hang on to that.
That's true. Especially with something like the MacGyver remake (or the MPI remake even) I just can't imagine it having a large enough fanbase. That's why they got cancelled pretty soon. But even if there was some sort of fanbase I just can't see it being talked about 10 or 20 years from now. I think folks will always remember Richard Dean Anderson as Mac. Or Selleck as Magnum. Talk about some messed up casting of the leads in those remakes! The new MacGyver sounded like a 60 year old man (his voice was really deep) trapped in a 19-year-old's body. :roll: Just really off-putting when you try to watch him and imagine him as Mac. Same with Jay Hernandez. All wrong for the part! Same with Alex O'Loughlin! Geez, you'd think they'd get at least 1 out of 3 right. They're batting 0! It's like Lenkov decided to put an ad out for a star role in a remake and those 3 guys are the only ones who showed up. Ok, sure, we'll hire you! :lol:

But yeah I just get annoyed searching for a TV show and getting 2 different versions popping up. It's like googling a Ferrari and getting both a red Ferrari and a red Fiero. No, I don't want to see the Fiero. I want to see the Ferrari. Don't show me a Fiero. :x

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Mark de Croix »

@Magnum4eva makes an intriguing claim that both the original and the reboot can be (equally?) enjoyed. I almost threw up after about 5 minutes into the reboot. Sure the opening space jump is fantastic but once grounded on Earth to our senses, we must realize that the reboot is a repackaged ripoff. Excuse me, @Magnum4eva, if you're there but we are raised to despise copies of creative works. It is hard for me to turn that off. I'm glad you enjoy the reboot but I have to imagine that you were/have been short of other alternative venues.

Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mark de Croix wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:08 am I almost threw up after about 5 minutes into the reboot. Sure the opening space jump is fantastic
Eh... whaaaat??? :shock: Nothing fantastic about that at all. Probably the worst part of the episode, tied with the scene where MiniMag jumps from the car to the skid of the helicopter, like in some lame Fast and Furious movie. Hey, it's the same director!