The Magnum PI reboot thoughts

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Magnum PI reboot thoughts

#46 Post by KENJI »

Hi Core 4,

I agree it would be great to see that crossover lots of potential, BUT the stupid helicopter scene would be buzzing in my head the whole time. I wouldn't be surprised if Lenkov does it, as some of the storylines on HFO were WAY out there and not even close to being believable so that would be par for the course. I just wish he would've mentioned MPI in a vague yet real manner on HFO, mentioning Island Hoppers, Robin's Nest, Tom Magnum, maybe seeing the red Ferrari drive by them on the street and maybe waving in that direction...that sort of thing. Like I said, he can do whatever he likes, but that one is a thumbs down or strike one in my books. We will agree to disagree on this one Core 4 and that's okay. :) :wink:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by 308GUY »

Wouldn't it be "poetic justice" if TS were to be the voice of Robin Masters?

I'm wondering now, if there will BE a Robin Masters, or if we will have a new insanely wealthy person (could be author..but could be a Bill Gates or any other of the new billionaires that seem to abound in our "new" world. Well, given the plate on the new Fcar, it's safe to assume there WILL be a Robin....but it could still be something other than Masters, but all the other characters have retained the original titles, no reason to think Robin won't also. You know.....Robin is also a girls name..... :magnum:

It would seem like Lenkov is approaching this thing as if the original never happened, but just using the concept and most of the elements presented.

The only objection would be from us old farts that have been addicted to the original for decades!LOL

Kind of like when a new musical group takes an old standard and tries to "make it their own". Sometimes it actually works better than the original...but then that is always going to be subjective. :higgins:

I would guess PL will "pay homage" to Bellisario & Larson's original...but it will be for the new millenium audience. Sort of like Peter Jackson's King Kong. I love watching the original...but there's no comparison when it comes to special effects and production. I really like Jackson's version of Kong.

Again....have to "wait and see"! :magnum:

Welcome T.Q.! :D
Last edited by 308GUY on Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by T.Q. »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
T.Q. wrote:
P.S. Any tips for uploading an avatar? Does the function work? I can’t seem to shrink a pic small enough to be accepted. No clue. Mahalo and Aloha.
Hey, T.Q.! :D

I noticed your "Mahalo and Aloha".... by any chance do you live in Hawaii? 8)

Regarding the avatar, yes I believe it's working just fine. It's located under User Control Panel/Profile/Edit Avatar. I used "Paint" software to make my avatar 90 x 90 pixels, which is the max. If you have that software then select the "resize" option, where you can specify exactly what pixel size you want to shrink your pic to. Save it to your computer and click on "choose file" in the avatar section to upload it.

Welcome aboard!
Hey, hey...

Got my little TQ pic workin'.

I started from complete scratch and it worked. Thanks!

No, not from Hawai'i.

Grew up going to family timeshare every year since I was 6. That was 41 years ago. Have only missed 2 years.

So just love Hawai'i a ton. It contributed a lot to my love of Magnum. :magnum:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#49 Post by Core 4 »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:We've read that there's going to be story about an old CIA girlfriend in North Korea. He's done that story already with Steve and Catherine (Navy Intel, CIA) getting Freddy's body from NK on H50. It's going to seem more like a copy of his version of H50 than Magnum. Besides, I have my doubts that any Navy SEALs have been in North Korea (at least not the way we saw in that episode).
Maybe they changed it because in the descriptions of the character of T.C. and Rick, we have that they and Magnum were all POWs in Iraq. So maybe they changed location from North Korea to Iraq?

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

T.Q. wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
T.Q. wrote:
P.S. Any tips for uploading an avatar? Does the function work? I can’t seem to shrink a pic small enough to be accepted. No clue. Mahalo and Aloha.
Hey, T.Q.! :D

I noticed your "Mahalo and Aloha".... by any chance do you live in Hawaii? 8)

Regarding the avatar, yes I believe it's working just fine. It's located under User Control Panel/Profile/Edit Avatar. I used "Paint" software to make my avatar 90 x 90 pixels, which is the max. If you have that software then select the "resize" option, where you can specify exactly what pixel size you want to shrink your pic to. Save it to your computer and click on "choose file" in the avatar section to upload it.

Welcome aboard!
Hey, hey...

Got my little TQ pic workin'.

I started from complete scratch and it worked. Thanks!

No, not from Hawai'i.

Grew up going to family timeshare every year since I was 6. That was 41 years ago. Have only missed 2 years.

So just love Hawai'i a ton. It contributed a lot to my love of Magnum. :magnum:
Great TQ, glad to help! :D Wow, very cool that you've gone to Hawaii almost every year of your life... I'm envious. Same with me, watching Magnum as a kid turned me on to HI. Plans are in the works to retire there!

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Reef monkey »

Definitely put me in the "mixed feelings" camp. Part of it is because, how do you get lighting to strike twice, that mix of actor charisma and chemistry between characters? From the videos of Jay Hernandez's auditions, I don't see the kind of charisma that TS had. Another part is I see it being too similar to Hawaii 5-0 to succeed. Even though I have a suspicion that Hawaii 5-0 will be ending by a year from now*, Magnum will still be in its shadow after it's gone.

But there is also this: Magnum PI had a prevalent theme of men being haunted by Vietnam. It was a war they could not escape in their minds, and Hawaii represents that. Like Vietnam, Hawaii is lush and tropical, and all the East Asian influence in Honolulu culture is a constant reminder of Vietnamese culture. There just isn't that kind of connection between Hawaii and Iraq or Afghanistan. Plus, the haunted GWOT vet thing has been played to death on programs in Magnum's genre.

*(It's getting pretty played out, even I, a fan of the show, am getting bored with it, it lost Max, Chin Ho, and Kono, and the replacements aren't that great)
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850