For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Roger on reboot.

#31 Post by K Hale »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:[quote
I agree with you Ivan, from the Pilot episode, and then China Doll, No Need to Know . . . the list goes on of early episodes that show the depth the supporting characters have. The show was well outlined and each character seemed like their interconnected relationships were real and coming from a place you understood. We didn't need to get to know how these guys related to each other, it was right there to see and feel - from the writing to the abilities of the actors.
Conch,
Right on, you put it perfectly -
"We didn't need to get to know how these guys related to each other, it was right there to see and feel, from the writing to the abilities of the actors."
Years ago I read all of Hemingway's works, he once said something about if a book or movie is done right, you could start in the middle - without knowing
exactly how the relationships were established - and the characters/actors and writing/screenplay would deliver the story and be enjoyable.
I suppose on tonight's episode - "Murder Is Never Quiet" - we can only hope that they work on what Conch said, but I am guessing that instead they will choose
the lazy way and have more mass gunfights. Magnum PI is evolving into a sort of Mission Impossible, with computer tech, helicopters, 3 Rambo warriors and the
eye candy blonde intelligence agent weekly battling international killers, rogue CIA members etc.
A gentleman on Facebook named Paul Carhart (are you here, Paul?) floated this theory: “I watch it and imagine it as the original Robin Masters’ embellished tales of Magnum’s exploits. And since I believe that Higgins was Robin, he decided to change himself in the stories the most, hence the gender swap.”

I thought this was a superb idea. Higgins reimagining himself as a lithe, blonde, athletic, ass-kicking sexy young woman? It’s hilarious. It also explains why he made magnum really short and took away his big mustache. To say nothing of the constant gun battles, exploding cars, etc. Guns, girls, and gore! It’s all Higgins tongue-in-cheek pranking us! :lol:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#32 Post by ConchRepublican »

K Hale wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:[quote
I agree with you Ivan, from the Pilot episode, and then China Doll, No Need to Know . . . the list goes on of early episodes that show the depth the supporting characters have. The show was well outlined and each character seemed like their interconnected relationships were real and coming from a place you understood. We didn't need to get to know how these guys related to each other, it was right there to see and feel - from the writing to the abilities of the actors.
Conch,
Right on, you put it perfectly -
"We didn't need to get to know how these guys related to each other, it was right there to see and feel, from the writing to the abilities of the actors."
Years ago I read all of Hemingway's works, he once said something about if a book or movie is done right, you could start in the middle - without knowing
exactly how the relationships were established - and the characters/actors and writing/screenplay would deliver the story and be enjoyable.
I suppose on tonight's episode - "Murder Is Never Quiet" - we can only hope that they work on what Conch said, but I am guessing that instead they will choose
the lazy way and have more mass gunfights. Magnum PI is evolving into a sort of Mission Impossible, with computer tech, helicopters, 3 Rambo warriors and the
eye candy blonde intelligence agent weekly battling international killers, rogue CIA members etc.
A gentleman on Facebook named Paul Carhart (are you here, Paul?) floated this theory: “I watch it and imagine it as the original Robin Masters’ embellished tales of Magnum’s exploits. And since I believe that Higgins was Robin, he decided to change himself in the stories the most, hence the gender swap.”

I thought this was a superb idea. Higgins reimagining himself as a lithe, blonde, athletic, ass-kicking sexy young woman? It’s hilarious. It also explains why he made magnum really short and took away his big mustache. To say nothing of the constant gun battles, exploding cars, etc. Guns, girls, and gore! It’s all Higgins tongue-in-cheek pranking us! :lol:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#33 Post by Majordomo »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
Macho Taco wrote:The real issue for me isn’t Roger appearing as a barber. My issue is
that the re-boot has created nothing but one-dimensional characters who serve only to back up TM. New TC and new Rick have done nothing interesting, nor do we even get a glimpse of their lives outside of TMs cases. Has new TC even been shown giving a tour yet? With all that could be done with Roger’s appearance, even as a barber, my hunch is the writers will botch this up big time. In other words, he will have one or two lines and that’s it. Hope I’m wrong...

One-dimensional?
Maybe you want to rewatch season 1 of the original series and see how "deep" TC, Rick and Higgins are drawn.

What we correctly appreciate in terms of deepness of character and the feeling of friendship has imo a lot to do with the fact that we could see all this progressing over 8 years.
This rings true to me. In the first season of the original, I didn't feel the characters were all fleshed out that well. The actors' own talents and personalities eventually made it to the surface of their respective characters and their interactions with one another became more personable and genuine. After having watched the series about 10 times, I find it easier to project these relationships back to those first episodes, but it also makes seeing the disconnects easier as well.
"Don't hand me that wretched understatement. I was bloody marvelous."

giant_albatross
Lieutenant Commander

#34 Post by giant_albatross »

N1095A wrote:I just read that Roger will be appearing as "T.C.'s" barber on the reboot. I'm 49 years old, and Roger / T.C. has been a hero of mine since I was 10. I have never felt so let down by a hero in my life. What's next, Larry appearing as the guy who shines Rick's shoes?
As my mom always said when I was growing up, its "nice" when Hollywood finds roles for aging/over the hill actors/actresses. They "have trouble finding work" as she put it. So, that's something to consider. Older actors need to take work when they can get it, unless they've found some other evocation to make a living.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Chris109 »

giant_albatross wrote: As my mom always said when I was growing up, its "nice" when Hollywood finds roles for aging/over the hill actors/actresses. They "have trouble finding work" as she put it. So, that's something to consider. Older actors need to take work when they can get it, unless they've found some other evocation to make a living.
Guy is 80. Supposedly he retired from acting 5 years ago.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Steve »

Chris109 wrote:
giant_albatross wrote: As my mom always said when I was growing up, its "nice" when Hollywood finds roles for aging/over the hill actors/actresses. They "have trouble finding work" as she put it. So, that's something to consider. Older actors need to take work when they can get it, unless they've found some other evocation to make a living.
I know the reboot is not popular on here but I am thinking (wishing) with Roger guesting and supposedly Larry is on board at sometime in the future, perhaps Tom Selleck could be talked into guest starring. I would love to see him as Little M's full of wanderlust grandfather in the mold of Howard Duff in the OG.......Mr. Selleck has made three characters his own: Thomas Magnum, Frank Reagan and Jesse Stone. I would love to see him do a lighter character on the side as a lovable, slightly eccentric ex- Navy Captain that can't stay in one place too long.......This is the only thing close to the original we will ever get, there will be no original cast movie now....

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by K Hale »

Steve wrote:
Chris109 wrote:
I know the reboot is not popular on here but I am thinking (wishing) with Roger guesting and supposedly Larry is on board at sometime in the future, perhaps Tom Selleck could be talked into guest starring. I would love to see him as Little M's full of wanderlust grandfather in the mold of Howard Duff in the OG.......Mr. Selleck has made three characters his own: Thomas Magnum, Frank Reagan and Jesse Stone. I would love to see him do a lighter character on the side as a lovable, slightly eccentric ex- Navy Captain that can't stay in one place too long.......This is the only thing close to the original we will ever get, there will be no original cast movie now....
Selleck has said he will not appear in any Magnum production where he does not play Magnum.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by KingKC »

GOOD FOR SELLECK!!!!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by K Hale »

KingKC wrote:GOOD FOR SELLECK!!!!
Agreed. (Nothing against Mosley, a man's gotta make a living.)

Speaking of all this, whatever happened to Manetti playing Icepick? Was that just a fan rumor?
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ConchRepublican

#40 Post by ConchRepublican »

Steve wrote:
Chris109 wrote:

:wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot

ConchRepublican

#41 Post by ConchRepublican »

K Hale wrote: Speaking of all this, whatever happened to Manetti playing Icepick? Was that just a fan rumor?
Good question. I was under the impression this was a done deal. Perhaps Larry was lobbying hard for it but it was never finalized?

While my feelings about the reboot are well documented, it looked to me that Larry was/is dealing with the after effects of a stroke, so anything he needed to do for his health and well being I understood. I was hoping he was able to get a paycheck.
CoziTV Superfan spot

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by 308GUY »

ConchRepublican wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yaknow.....IF TS were to play grandpa...he WOULD be playing Thomas Sullivan Magnum.....II 8) ("Jus sayn" :geek: )

I know what you're thinking......you wouldn't ban a guy for just suggesting something.......would ya? :magnum:

Hey....can't fault a guy for trying.....right?

Ok.....headed back under my rock now. :(
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Steve »

308GUY wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:

Yaknow.....IF TS were to play grandpa...he WOULD be playing Thomas Sullivan Magnum.....II 8) ("Jus sayn" :geek: )

I know what you're thinking......you wouldn't ban a guy for just suggesting something.......would ya? :magnum:

Don't worry 308, Conch has been more than patient with me and my blasphemous tolerance of the reboot. Like I constantly tell my Pastor neighbor and my two times a week church going wife harping on me about lack of church; without a heathen in their lives they are just preaching to the choir 8)

ConchRepublican

#44 Post by ConchRepublican »

Steve wrote:
308GUY wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:

Don't worry 308, Conch has been more than patient with me and my blasphemous tolerance of the reboot. Like I constantly tell my Pastor neighbor and my two times a week church going wife harping on me about lack of church; without a heathen in their lives they are just preaching to the choir 8)

CoziTV Superfan spot