Pilot to Ep2 Ratings and Beyond

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Re: Pilot to Ep2 Ratings and Beyond

#31 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

And if something is watched on a DVR or On Demand within a certain time period, does it become part of the ratings?
Yes DVR viewings are added to the final ratings numbers. They're called Live+3(days) and Live+7(days). I don't know how the Nielsens work anymore because so many of us are watching via cable or satellite boxes that keep track of what we watch and when. There's less guess work involved, but I guess they are still just "guessing" how many are watching via antenna.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#32 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote:Ep. 6:

Down 42,000 viewers from last week @ 5.59M.

- 1.23% in key demo.

Lowest key demo number (0.8) of the new Magmum so far.
Seems to be consistantly trending in a way that does not inspire confidence.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by T.Q. »

Amian wrote:I'm very much in the dark with how ratings are tabulated nowadays, and I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere, but are Nielsen ratings important anymore? Since everything is digital (cable, satellite, Internet), can't the numbers be tabulated in total rather than based on select places with a Nielsen box?

And if something is watched on a DVR or On Demand within a certain time period, does it become part of the ratings?
My guess is live viewers are important.

They wanna sell Audis to 18-49s and DVR viewers probably don’t watch commercials.

Just a guess though.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#34 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote:
Amian wrote:I'm very much in the dark with how ratings are tabulated nowadays, and I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere, but are Nielsen ratings important anymore? Since everything is digital (cable, satellite, Internet), can't the numbers be tabulated in total rather than based on select places with a Nielsen box?

They wanna sell Audis to 18-49s and DVR viewers probably don’t watch commercials.

Just a guess though.
Excellent point.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

sandbiscuits
Captain

#35 Post by sandbiscuits »

T.Q. wrote:

Just a guess though.
Thanks for that. I suppose they'd also prefer people watch on On Demand, which doesn't let you fast forward through commercials on newer episodes.

Also, I wonder how accurate their numbers are for specific demographics... on a family TV (or whatever screen), how would they know who's watching? Maybe this is where Nielsen remains important.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by T.Q. »

Ep. 7:

Guess it’s early numbers but free fall continues.

5.7M to 5.2M. :shock:

Lost another 1/2 million viewers*.

Wonder if it will go below 5M soon.

* However, the key demo remained the same this week.
Last edited by T.Q. on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by eagle »

I continue to be surprised that they ordered a full season.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by T.Q. »

eagle wrote:I continue to be surprised that they ordered a full season.
Me too.

Maybe they think once MNF is over the ratings will improve.

Amian
Admiral

#39 Post by Amian »

T.Q. wrote:
Me too.

I would think that once you lose viewers early, it's very hard to rebound. Whether MNF is part of the reason for the shrinking numbers, I can't imagine there being too much patience in the long run for the show to continue.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Chris109 »

T.Q. wrote:
Me too.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by KingKC »

T.Q. wrote:Ep. 7:

Guess it’s early numbers but free fall continues.

5.7M to 5.2M. :shock:

Lost another 1/2 million viewers*.

Wonder if it will go below 5M soon.

* However, the key demo remained the same this week.
In the distance I can hear a faint: Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey...goodbye.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#42 Post by marlboro »

At this rate we won't even get a North American BR release of the original, will we?

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by T.Q. »

Ep. 8:

Holds pretty steady.

5.47M (up 200K).

Key demo down 2.44% but still a 0.8 demo.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by T.Q. »

What I don’t understand about the ratings is I was flipping channels and The Conners is on right now so I looked it up.

It has 1.80 key demo rating and 8 million viewers.

Magmum (Higgins P.I) has 0.80 and 5.5 million viewers.

Yet it’s all gloom and doom with The Conners and how it’s most likely toast due to poor ratings.

“Now that the audience has disappeared along with the star, the only way to keep the show profitable is to ask both John and Laurie to take a pay cut”

But a decrease in the pair’s check sizes may not be enough to increase the chances the show will survive.

“The writing is already on the wall,” said a TV insider.”

So, in the end, I don’t really understand how the fate of shows are decided. I don’t get it.

Limbo
Lieutenant

#45 Post by Limbo »

CBS put toooooo much money into this show. Anyone remember "Joey"? that steaming pile stayed around for 2.5yrs. I would imagine this will be the same thing. CBS wont give up on it til they absolutely have to.

*silently says to myself, I would love for Selleck to come out with a very public "I told you so"...but he has way to much class for that*
Very good Magnum-san, very good,but why do you care so much for his life?. I don't....I care for yours.