The Magnum PI reboot thoughts

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Magnum PI reboot thoughts

#31 Post by KENJI »

308GUY wrote:Sorta looks like a 488....Spider. :magnum:

(Been wrong before....but that's what it looks like from that pic.)
You're spot on 308GUY - 488 and it's red!!!!! Thanks for posting this RG!
Okay, what I did find interesting was the lic. plate ROBIN-2.....the original was ROBIN-1.....hmmm I wonder if there is a 308 in the show with ROBIN-1 plates. I don't think it's an oversight on their part either, maybe it's their way of acknowledging the original and keeping this important piece of the show in the reboot. Lenkov did the same thing with HFO and the 1968 Mercury....I'm betting we will see our beloved 308 in the reboot! :D

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:
308GUY wrote:Sorta looks like a 488....Spider. :magnum:

(Been wrong before....but that's what it looks like from that pic.)
You're spot on 308GUY - 488 and it's red!!!!! Thanks for posting this RG!
Okay, what I did find interesting was the lic. plate ROBIN-2.....the original was ROBIN-1.....hmmm I wonder if there is a 308 in the show with ROBIN-1 plates. I don't think it's an oversight on their part either, maybe it's their way of acknowledging the original and keeping this important piece of the show in the reboot. Lenkov did the same thing with HFO and the 1968 Mercury....I'm betting we will see our beloved 308 in the reboot! :D
Here are more pieces of the show that they're including... the ring was a given. But reading Lenkov's comment about TM's watch, I was pleasantly surprised that he is apparently an MPI fan at least. This could be fun to watch. I just can't wrap my head around Juliet Higgins though. Why make Higgins a female? To be politically correct? Eye candy? It's ok to have a show that only has just male main characters in it, for cryin' out loud. :roll:

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by K Hale »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote: I just can't wrap my head around Juliet Higgins though. Why make Higgins a female? To be politically correct? Eye candy?
Eye candy, cheap pandering, and a built in romantic interest so they can play like Moonlighting. I'm just so grossed out by this on all levels. It's even obvious with her name. I suppose Magnum will be Romeo?

And the Audi was ROBIN-2 so why give that plate to the reboot's Ferrari?

Ugh
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#34 Post by Core 4 »

K Hale wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote: I just can't wrap my head around Juliet Higgins though. Why make Higgins a female? To be politically correct? Eye candy?
Eye candy, cheap pandering, and a built in romantic interest so they can play like Moonlighting. I'm just so grossed out by this on all levels. It's even obvious with her name. I suppose Magnum will be Romeo?

Ugh
You do not have to watch. You have an original Magnum P.I. In Hawaii Five-0 they changed Kono to a man and it turned out to be a plus, and there was nothing romantic between her and the other members of Five-0. So I think positively.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by K Hale »

Core 4 wrote:
K Hale wrote:

Ugh
You do not have to watch.
No, but I have to express my angst. LOL

I don't watch 5-0 in any incarnation so have no opinion on what they did.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by KENJI »

K Hale wrote:

Ugh
If ROBIN-1 turns out to be a 308 and we are assuming that ROBIN-2 will be a 488 based the pic RG posted, then I'm okay with the Audi (assuming it will even be an Audi) being ROBIN-3 etc.. I remember in Summer School they had Robin's other Ferrari being ROBIN 23 which I thought was really stretching it....assuming they were implying he had at least 23 vehicles there. It should've been ROBIN-4 or 5 to keep in line with what they had going. I'm a stickler for the details to K Hale, but in this case I would bend the rules! Heck, for all we know the female Higgins will drive the 488 ROBIN-2 and Hernandez will be driving ROBIN-1 (maybe the 308)....it's a stretch too, but Magnum has to drive ROBIN-1 in my books, unless, UNLESS they have a ROBIN-1 retirement story where we see the 308 with ROBIN-1 plates at the estate, but no one drives it.....basically like retiring a baseball jersey and it hangs from the rafters which I like the sound of....Tom Selleck drove the 308 and no one else should drive it again (look, but don't touch or DRIVE). It could be a nice way of saluting the original show and Selleck while carrying on with the reboot. Yes, I know some are saying they could've done that by not doing the reboot at all, but that's not the case so we have to go with Plan B. :wink: I would be really happy with that outcome and if the Audi's plate is sacrificed, then they have at least the blessing from one MPI (original) fan. I think Lenkov knows he has to try and connect with the original fan base the best he can while not annoying us purists too much. This might be a peace offering to win us over. It's going to come down to the acting and the storylines if they can pull it off. Adding a Ferrari, chopper, Coops Beer, ring , Rolex etc. are the easy parts! They have some really big shoes to fill!!!
I'm going to start a new thread for the Ferrari so we can discuss it there.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#37 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Well I have done a lot of thinking about this reboot and about all of the emotions that come with it and I have realized that I'm being really selfish about it. The reasons I wanted it to fail or not happen are quite petty in introspect. I love wearing my Jungle bird shirt and my star orchid shirt, I love wearing my team ring and ball caps. I drive a red Toyota MR2 T-Tops off in the summer and even kayak and swim with UDT shorts on. Sometimes I even grow out my mustache. I always wear cotton field shirts and boat shoes with my jeans and some of the time people say hey you are dressed like Magnum or what's up Magnum lol and I know at that point they must be fans of the Show. But it doesn't happen often enough to bother me and in fact its an opportunity to talk with fellow Magnum fans. Now with this new show I fear its going to take some of that magic away. That when I put on that Jungle Bird shirt its no longer part of my regular attire but now a costume, something I'm wearing because of a new show. Or when MPI comes up in conversation I will have to differentiate between the new and the original. It's kind of vain I know but these are my thoughts. My greatest fear, though, is that this new show will somehow wow the socks of the millennial generation, the new age critics and become a monster hit leaving the original somewhere in the past. If the two shows were compared and someone EVER thought the new remake was better I just don't know how I would react lol.
That reminds me of the time....

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by KENJI »

Here are a few people who tried out for the MPI reboot, but didn't make the cut...... :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoBx0PMNNFI

I wonder if Lenkov will reference HFO in a humorous manner....maybe a "Book em' Danno" line.
I'm sure we will hear "5-0" being referenced as it did in the original MPI. Lenkov basically shut the door for a HFO/MPI cross-over after that helicopter scene which could've been interesting. I believe Selleck tried to get Jack Lord to do an appearance on the original MPI, but he declined. That would've been a good episode with Tom & Jack!

Maybe James can add that clip to the Trivia Section under Cultural References when he has time of course. :D
I know Danno references Magnum another time, but I can't think of the episode right this sec.

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#39 Post by Core 4 »

KENJI wrote:
I wonder if Lenkov will reference HFO in a humorous manner....maybe a "Book em' Danno" line.
I'm sure we will hear "5-0" being referenced as it did in the original MPI. Lenkov basically shut the door for a HFO/MPI cross-over after that helicopter scene which could've been interesting. I believe Selleck tried to get Jack Lord to do an appearance on the original MPI, but he declined. That would've been a good episode with Tom & Jack!
According to snippets from Spoiler TV, Five-0 will be mentioned in the pilot. And more importantly, as I wrote in another thread, everything indicates that in the Magnum P.I. pilot Kimee Balmilero will appear. She will repeat the role of Noelani Cunha from Hawaii Five-0, in which she plays the Medical Examiner. In season 7 she had only a recurring role, but in the season 8 she was promoted to a regular cast. So now, we know that both series will be in the same world. We just have to wait an official confirmation that Noelani is in the Magnum P.I. pilot.

As for the helicopter scene, it was such a short scene and so long ago (in the third season), so the fans can turn a blind eye to it.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by KENJI »

Core 4 wrote:
KENJI wrote:
According to snippets from Spoiler TV, Five-0 will be mentioned in the pilot. And more importantly, as I wrote in another thread, everything indicates that in the Magnum P.I. pilot Kimee Balmilero will appear. She will repeat the role of Noelani Cunha from Hawaii Five-0, in which she plays the Medical Examiner. In season 7 she had only a recurring role, but in the season 8 she was promoted to a regular cast. So now, we know that both series will be in the same world. We just have to wait an official confirmation that Noelani is in the Magnum P.I. pilot.

As for the helicopter scene, it was such a short scene and so long ago (in the third season), so the fans can turn a blind eye to it.
Hi Core 4,

I guess I could turn a blind eye to Noelani's medical examiner role, but not the helicopter scene. Sure it was in season 3, but it still happened. Lenkov can do whatever he wants, but I think it's weak if he brings Steve, Danno etc. into the fold in anyway. If he keeps things vague....i.e mentioning 5-0, but no names then I'm okay with it otherwise you've lost some credibility there by playing on both sides of the fence (imo). I'm sure loads of people have forgotten about that scene, but some of us who watch both shows have memories like an elephant. :wink:

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#41 Post by Core 4 »

KENJI wrote:
Core 4 wrote:
KENJI wrote:

Hi Core 4,

I guess I could turn a blind eye to Noelani's medical examiner role, but not the helicopter scene. Sure it was in season 3, but it still happened. Lenkov can do whatever he wants, but I think it's weak if he brings Steve, Danno etc. into the fold in anyway. If he keeps things vague....i.e mentioning 5-0, but no names then I'm okay with it otherwise you've lost some credibility there by playing on both sides of the fence (imo). I'm sure loads of people have forgotten about that scene, but some of us who watch both shows have memories like an elephant. :wink:
But it would be stupid to cross the potential of connecting the universe with these shows and crossover potential, because of one scene. Especially that both series are on the same network, in the same location, and even with the same showrunner. This sin would not be used. Characters such as Kamekona, Duke, and Noelani could appear at least a few times in the season, and Steve, Danny and the rest of the Five-0, at least once a season, in a BIG two-hour crosover (one episode of Hawaii Five-0, and one episode of Magnum P.I.).

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by T.Q. »

Hey everyone.

Just joined after many years referencing, reading and enjoying Magnum Mania.

Big Magnum fan since my youth.

Brought my kids up watching too.

Was motivated to join because of the new Magnum in the works.

I’m pretty disappointed and I’m torn whether I’m even going to watch.

I liked the Lilly concept from a few years ago.

Replacing an iconic character like Thomas Sullivan Magnum though? Kinda think it stinks.

Bet Tom Selleck isn’t pleased. He just can’t say anything because he’s on the same network.

Anyways, that’s it for my first post.

P.S. Any tips for uploading an avatar? Does the function work? I can’t seem to shrink a pic small enough to be accepted. No clue. Mahalo and Aloha.

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#43 Post by Core 4 »

About Selleck. We know only what Deadline revealed in October 2017. I think if the show turns out to be a success, it's possible that Tom will appear in some role.

Tom Selleck, who played Magnum P.I. in the original series in one of his signature roles, is on CBS as the star/executive producer of long-running cop family drama Blue Bloods and, as part of that, he has a deal at CBS TV Studios. There were discussions about him getting involved in the reboot. I hear he opted not to get formally on board but gave the project his blessing.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

T.Q. wrote:
P.S. Any tips for uploading an avatar? Does the function work? I can’t seem to shrink a pic small enough to be accepted. No clue. Mahalo and Aloha.
Hey, T.Q.! :D

I noticed your "Mahalo and Aloha".... by any chance do you live in Hawaii? 8)

Regarding the avatar, yes I believe it's working just fine. It's located under User Control Panel/Profile/Edit Avatar. I used "Paint" software to make my avatar 90 x 90 pixels, which is the max. If you have that software then select the "resize" option, where you can specify exactly what pixel size you want to shrink your pic to. Save it to your computer and click on "choose file" in the avatar section to upload it.

Welcome aboard!

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

The helicopter scene is not the only scene where Magnum has been referenced as a TV show on the new H50. There was an episode where Danny asked a P.I. if he was Magnum in season 1 and the Island Hoppers chopper has made an appearance. Also, MPI was referenced constantly on NCIS as a TV show (Tony's favorite show) and NCIS LA has crossed over with H50 in season 2. So, H50 and all the NCIS incarnations exist in the same universe (so does new MacGyver).

I have no doubt that Lenkov is a huge fan of MPI, he has stolen tons of ideas from it already on H50. That is part of my problem with it. He's used so much Magnum stuff, he can't have much left.. We've read that there's going to be story about an old CIA girlfriend in North Korea. He's done that story already with Steve and Catherine (Navy Intel, CIA) getting Freddy's body from NK on H50. It's going to seem more like a copy of his version of H50 than Magnum. Besides, I have my doubts that any Navy SEALs have been in North Korea (at least not the way we saw in that episode).
Tom Selleck, who played Magnum P.I. in the original series in one of his signature roles, is on CBS as the star/executive producer of long-running cop family drama Blue Bloods and, as part of that, he has a deal at CBS TV Studios. There were discussions about him getting involved in the reboot. I hear he opted not to get formally on board but gave the project his blessing.
I very seriously doubt Tom gave his blessing. He's been adamant about no one else playing TSMIV and he's right. If and when he's asked about, he'll have to be polite as long as he's employed at CBS. After Blue Bloods ends, he may speak his mind about it.