Pilot to Ep2 Ratings and Beyond

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Pilot to Ep2 Ratings and Beyond

#166 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

T.Q. wrote: Why do you and Laohu always resort to name calling and such?
Wouldn‘t it be great if you‘d be equally sensible when you are actually posting on the reboot thread?

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#167 Post by T.Q. »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
T.Q. wrote: Why do you and Laohu always resort to name calling and such?
Wouldn‘t it be great if you‘d be equally sensible when you are actually posting on the reboot thread?
Seems to me you guys are always in attack mode.

All I’ve been doing is talking about how bad the ratings are.

You guys pounce like rabid pit bulls.

Just ignore it already.

I mostly ignore the show.

I don’t post on episode threads about how lame it is.

Time to take some chill pills.

If Conch and I (and others) have a different opinion or take why do you care so deeply.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#168 Post by Laohu »

??? Pure Fantasy. You seem to be accusing me of a lot of things that have no relation to reality. What name did I call you and when was that ? If you are saying by posting a tweet by CBS where they said they won the night was a direct attack on you then i think you should talk to CBS about that .
O and just so we are clear if we were going to attack we would not attack like pit bulls in true Magnum tradition we would attack like Dobermans :lol:

Amian
Admiral

#169 Post by Amian »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:
Bondtoys.de wrote: Imo the first 4 seasons including season 5 pilot where pure magic, but it had only very little to do with acting skills and quality of the stories.
Serious, non ball busting question, how is that possible?
I can‘t give you a reply on this.
Imo it‘s one of the examples where the whole is just perfect and better than the single elements isolated.

After the constant criticism for the reboot for being low on acting and storylines, I have tried to put my focus on that when watching some of the old episodes recently and can‘t find the original significantly better in those.

But I am one of the few who finds the reboot quite enjoyable, so I am probably easy to be pleased ;)
Hi all, been busy this fall but am almost caught up on Season 2. Overall I think it is an improvement on Season 1 and I am still enjoying it. Seems more interested in relationships and smaller scale cases, and the characters are developing their voices nicely, in my opinion.

Wanted to chime in and say that I see what Bondtoys is saying. Old school Magnum was the perfect blend of so many elements, but acting was inconsistent. Rick and T.C. especially were wanting in many episodes. But the combo of writing, Selleck's charisma, Hillerman's chops, location, and the je ne sais quoi of the whole thing was just right. (Bondtoys, I thought your Porsche analogy was apt.)

Hop you all are having a good fall (unless you're in the southern hemisphere -- happy spring!).

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#170 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Amian, you wrote -
"Hope you all are having a good fall (unless you're in the southern hemisphere -- happy spring!)."

Are you Australian or a New Zealander?

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#171 Post by eagle »

Well, I still watch the reboot, and I still don't enjoy it. I no longer post in the episode threads, because it's not worth it to me. I don't know why I continue to watch, because I get no enjoyment from the show. I agree that season 2 is less bad than season 1, but the characters and stories are still shallow, and the show still relies on action sequences over plot- and character-development. In short, the pilot set the pace, and every episode since has continued the trend.

I cringe every time Tim Kang comes onscreen -- the man simply cannot act. Jay Hernandez's acting is better than Kang's, but that is not to say that it is good. TBH I don't like Stephen Hill or Zachary Knighton either, but I think that's more because the characters are so shallow.

In summary, I find the show to use weak actors playing shallow characters in contrived plots, resulting in unmemorable episodes that rely on action sequences to maintain viewership.

And yes, I have seen every episode of the reboot... well, through episode 7. Maybe this week I can watch eps 8 and 9.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#172 Post by T.Q. »

eagle wrote:In summary, I find the show to use weak actors playing shallow characters in contrived plots, resulting in unmemorable episodes that rely on action sequences to maintain viewership.
Perdita is going to push Jay aside (as per usual) and beat you up for this post. :P
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#173 Post by eagle »

T.Q. wrote:
eagle wrote:In summary, I find the show to use weak actors playing shallow characters in contrived plots, resulting in unmemorable episodes that rely on action sequences to maintain viewership.
Perdita is going to push Jay aside (as per usual) and beat you up for this post. :P
She's definitely a better actor than the rest, but the more the show goes on, the more it seems that even she blast through the show's poor writing.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#174 Post by ConchRepublican »

eagle wrote:Well, I still watch the reboot, and I still don't enjoy it. I no longer post in the episode threads, because it's not worth it to me. I don't know why I continue to watch, because I get no enjoyment from the show. I agree that season 2 is less bad than season 1, but the characters and stories are still shallow, and the show still relies on action sequences over plot- and character-development. In short, the pilot set the pace, and every episode since has continued the trend.

I cringe every time Tim Kang comes onscreen -- the man simply cannot act. Jay Hernandez's acting is better than Kang's, but that is not to say that it is good. TBH I don't like Stephen Hill or Zachary Knighton either, but I think that's more because the characters are so shallow.

In summary, I find the show to use weak actors playing shallow characters in contrived plots, resulting in unmemorable episodes that rely on action sequences to maintain viewership.

And yes, I have seen every episode of the reboot... well, through episode 7. Maybe this week I can watch eps 8 and 9.
Thank you for reaffirming my decision to steer clear.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#175 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

T.Q. wrote:
TQ,
Now that's funny. By the way, going by last week's episode it seems the cop Lt. will be joining the PI firm of Higgins & Magnum. I'd bet money
the producers have been taking a look at old Hawaiian Eye episodes and decided to go the route of having a series built around a PI firm.
As someone on these boards predicted last year. (patting self on back)
I agree with Eagle, it's obvious they don't have what it takes to make a true Magnum remake, as they don't truly understand the characters and have hack writers
for the most part who last season staged ridiculous fire fights in lieu of sound writing.
It's probably to my detriment reputation wise but if you can forget the link to OUR Magnum, the reboot is acceptable mindless entertainment for a friday night.
Especially as they have seemingly for the most part junked the season one constant gun battles.
I enjoy the scenery, both Hawaii's and Perdita's, though they did go a little overboard with so many shots of her bending way down and the camera looking down her
shirt last week. A regular PI show, without the impossible task of having to match the far superior themes, story lines and characters journey of the original would
be a better match for the producers skill set. Yuck, I can't believe I said "skill set", I hate people who say skill set.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#176 Post by Laohu »

CBS’ Hawaii Five-0 this Friday celebrated Thanksgiving early with 7.3 million total viewers and a 0.8 rating, rising a tenth in the demo to mark a Season 10 high and tie Fox’s SmackDown for the nightly demo win.
Leading out of that, Magnum P.I. (6.7 mil/0.7) and Blue Bloods (7.6 mil/0.7) also ticked up in the demo, respectively hitting and matching their own season highs. (Blue Bloods, as it does, also copped Friday’s largest audience.)

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#177 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Laohu wrote:CBS’ Hawaii Five-0 this Friday celebrated Thanksgiving early with 7.3 million total viewers and a 0.8 rating, rising a tenth in the demo to mark a Season 10 high and tie Fox’s SmackDown for the nightly demo win.
Leading out of that, Magnum P.I. (6.7 mil/0.7) and Blue Bloods (7.6 mil/0.7) also ticked up in the demo, respectively hitting and matching their own season highs. (Blue Bloods, as it does, also copped Friday’s largest audience.)

Laohu,
I am surprised Hawaii 5-0 can still win the night's ratings. Considering the last time anyone here posted on the Hawaii 5-0 board was March 13th, I figured
it was past it's sell by date. It used to have quite a number of fans here. I for one wanted to like it, but then I tune in and am turned off. Maybe I'll give it
another go, perhaps it improved.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once Upon a Time", original Hawaii 5-0 -
McGarrett: Chin, you're gonna make a speech tomorrow.
Chin: Me? What do I talk about?
McGarrett: Law and order.
Chin: For or against?

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#178 Post by Laohu »

Hi Dobie ,
I think it is impressive what CBS has done on Friday nights this year . The only thing that keeps them from completely dominating is Fox . Fox shows professional Wrestling which gets amazing ratings . Going to say it was something like 10 years ago wrestling was the number 1 show on the Sci-fi channel.
Anyway both Hawaii 50 and Blue bloods have a big following and with Magnum performing well the network should be pleased .

Dobie I have watched Hawaii 50 from the beginning I can’t say I have seen ever episode but I have seen a lot of them . I am not going to bad mouth the show but I will say that it is showing it’s age . Give it a try you might like it you will have to decide for yourself.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#179 Post by eagle »

Well, I was able to catch up on eps 8 & 9 this week. I really have no idea why I continue to watch. Episode 9 was one of the worst in the series. I stand by my earlier one-liner.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#180 Post by T.Q. »

eagle wrote:Well, I was able to catch up on eps 8 & 9 this week. I really have no idea why I continue to watch. Episode 9 was one of the worst in the series. I stand by my earlier one-liner.
How dare you.

You need a good butt whoopin'.

We all could take Mini but...

:roll: