14%
Just Awful
No votes
Refuse to Watch
14%

Total votes: 7

jno
Captain

Re: Season 3 Episode 16: Bloodline (3.16)

#16 Post by jno »

I'd agree on the CGI, it's way too OTT. The worst was the Jack Lord effort, which was shockingly bad:

I understand the dislike for these reboots but they are just evolved versions for a newer generation. I'm not promoting them by saying that, but they have to be treated as separate entities detatched from the original I think.

The bottom line is, the success of the original coupled with the fact that nobody can up with something as cool an idea as original Magnum Pi or Hawaii Five-O means they'll happily milk the idea which they know works.

I'll definitely keep watching new Magnum - compared to watching the original IN THE 80s and the reboot now, the original will always be best ... but that was then and this is now.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:38 am
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:25 pm
jno wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:26 pm If I'm brutally honest, if I compare new H50 to new Magnum, H50 wins for me, solely on banter and action.
If I'm brutally honest I'd actually go with the Magnum reboot over H50. I think both suck but at least MPI is lighter on the stupid OTT CGI action. I don't need to see CGI cruise missiles flying through Honolulu or passenger jets landing on Kalakaua Ave. (seriously?????) or fake McGarrett scaling high-rises just using his hands and feet like he's Spiderman. Raging gun-battles in the middle of crowded streets??? The show reached new levels of absurdity! McGarrett and Wo Fat brothers???? The stupid car-guments between McG and Danno???? UGGH!!! :x The pointless soap opera subplots??? I could go on but what's the point? Actually a lot of this same crap plagues the MPI reboot too but that's the Lenkov effect for ya.
Holy crap, I am glad I stopped watching H50 and missed most of this insanity. Alright Ivan, come clean, you had a few too many brews and you only thought Wo Fat and McGarrett were
shown to be brothers!!!
I am speechless at the utter stupidity of the writers under Lenkov! The Magnum reboot has in fact improved since he was banished, I hardly ever throw my shoe at the screen
anymore at firefights that expend more bullets in 5 minutes than the Battle of the Bulge. It's cartoon violence.
To quote combat veteran Lee Marvin on people attacking him for insisting screen violence be as graphic and awful as the censors would allow:
"It is what it is. Anything less is farce."
As an antidote to Lenkovism, catch the original Spenser For Hire. A great series.
Yep, and Wo Fat and McG's mom (supposedly dead) is really alive and a former CIA operative. I kid you not. Nothing is off-limits on Lenkov's show, except common sense. I have no idea where any of that went because I stopped watching a long time ago. Well, actually I never really started watching. Watched the first 2 or 3 episodes and realized this show was not for me. Then over the years just jumped around various episodes.

I first heard about SPENSER back in high school when a classmate and I used to talk about shows we liked from the 70s and 80s. He said he really liked this show and he liked Urich but I'd never heard of it. Still haven't seen it. It's very elusive - never shown in reruns or on YouTube or Netflix (even to rent the discs). Only to buy. Maybe some day I'll stumble across it. Not sure why but looking at clips it reminds me of THE EQUALIZER (a show I like). Maybe it's because it's from the same time, similar cold weather and urban setting in the Northeast.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Laohu »

I would not be surprised to see minor Hawaii 50 characters show up for season . What I am thinking will happen is they will do cross overs with NCIS Hawaii . With Magnum’s navy background and both shows being on CBS it seems like a natural fit . If CBS goes this route they could have more work for both Hawaii 50 actors and Magnum PI actors .